[XPOSED][AD-BLOCKER] AdBlocker Reborn

Do you have lags when pressing power button with this module?

• Yes

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

aviraxp

Jun 24, 2016
Beijing
This is the reborn version of Adblocker, which helps you block advertisements from various Ad-Network.

It can block advertisements in many aspects according to a pre-loaded-list, such as activities, views, hosts-based, webview-based, receivers and many many more.

It does not affect system hosts file, and does not conflict with it either. It also has whitelist feature so you can easily control it. You can also use it along with AdAway or other adblockers to extend its power, especially built-in app ads.

This module is being actively developed, and I will update it about every ten days. If you have any issues or want to contribute to the project, feel free to contact me via Github or XDA.

MOD EDIT
Numerous reports from users of certain devices that this module can disable things, cause erratic behaviour and other issues, have been reported.
Specifically, most of these seem to be related to users of Xiaomi's Mi-line of devices. In the case of these devices, the module can cause behaviour such as stopping the launcher and removing some options from settings, making the module difficult to remove.
Proceed with your own caution, and preferably a backup to restore if you encounter such erratic behaviours. This will also be posted in the OP of the thread.
There are varying alternatives that work well. This module has also NOT been updated at all lately, and it's recommended that users seek alternatives.

Download:
http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.aviraxp.adblocker.continued

Features:
- Activityies Block
- Views Block
- Hosts Block (Not affect system hosts file)
- WebView Block
- Services Block
- Receivers Block

Principle of Work:
I hook some fundamental classes and methods of Android system, check if they are included in a pre-loaded-list (maintained by me), and break the calling of these classes and methods if included. There might be some false positives so feel free to contact me.

FAQs:

- How does it work compared to AdAway and MinMinGuard?

AdAway modifies system hosts file to redirect some ad servers to local host, thus prevent from accessing them. MinMinGuard blocks some prebuilt app Ad providers from taking effect. My application have both of their features, and extends by blocking services and receivers.

- Where is the hosts' source?

Now, it covers Dan Pollock's hosts and some app specific blocking hosts. I am searching for good sources which is simple and effective. If you have some suggestions, feel free to let me know.

- Why does not it take effects to some browsers?

The reason is basically the same as unbeloved hosts. Some browsers have their own network solutions which conflict with the normal handling method. But for browsers which simply use original WebView loading method it works well.

- There are some false positives!

Contact me via Github or here. You can also use the whitelist feature. For element whitelist, just enable debug logging, find the element(activities, hosts, views...) according to a 'block success' line, and add them to the whitelist. Each element takes one line.

- I need to view ads for some reason.

Use the whitelist feature. However, some apps uses Android System WebView as an elements loader, so you should whitelist it too. But this will ramp down the power of blocking. I am working on a better whitelist feature.

- I want to donate to you for your work.

Use the PayPal donation option:https://www.paypal.me/wanghan1995315. But it will not make any difference or be a privilege for you. There is no such thing as advanced support.

- How can I contribute to you if I found something useful (hosts, Ad SDKs)?

I am working on a block list repo on Github. Feel free to open a pull request.

XDA:DevDB Information
AdBlocker Reborn, Xposed for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
aviraxp
Source Code: https://github.com/aviraxp/AdBlocker_Reborn

Xposed Package Name: com.aviraxp.adblocker.continued

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.5.1
Stable Release Date: 2017-03-13

Created 2017-02-11
Last Updated 2017-04-18

Last edited by a moderator:

aviraxp

Jun 24, 2016
Beijing
CHANGE LOG:

1.1.1:

- Fix an incremental bug which causes many false positives
- Add system apps protection
- Add shortcut block (all credits to apsun)
- Various Fixes

1.1:

- Add more builtin hosts
- Replace regular expression with Easylist rules to improve performance
- Tweak default preferences (Hiding is disabled and WebView Block is enabled)
- Introduce element whitelist
- Implement system framework apps protection
- Various fixes

1.0.2:

- Implement aggressive block toggle
- Add XDA link and PayPal donation
- Improve blocking effect by importing blacklist from AdScanner
- Address more false positives

Last edited:

IgorMarinho

Dec 25, 2012
Thank you for your work. Could anyone confirm if this module impact (negatively) battery duration ?

aviraxp

Jun 24, 2016
Beijing
Thank you for your work. Could anyone confirm if this module impact (negatively) battery duration ?
From my personal experience, it does not have any evident effect on battery. But to be honest, every exposed module will affect battery since the phone now has more work to do, which is implemented by the module. I will keep the battery consumption as low as possible.

Sent from my OnePlus2 using XDA Labs

pieceofphil

Jun 2, 2013
Augsburg
Uhm what exactly is the reason I should use this. I just tested a website for adblock check, whereas adaway active lead to first pic.
Disable adblock and enable this tool and restart lead to the second one. So obviously the ad had not been blocked by this mod.

Is your mod for ads in games or how should i understand that?

Just a bit confused, sry

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170214-180312.jpg
    Screenshot_20170214-180312.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 6,335
  • Screenshot_20170214-180424.jpg
    Screenshot_20170214-180424.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 6,265

1droidmod

Feb 12, 2013
Sioux Falls
@aviraxp thanks a ton!! Obviously does the trick especially when it comes to being redirected to a million other places then what I clicked on. In that sense, that is something that adway does not do no matter what host file/s I use as well as adguard and minminguard. There were a couple sites I just about swore off because it was impossible to do anything as far as a navigation goes but I can do as I like now thank you very much.

aviraxp

Jun 24, 2016
Beijing
Uhm what exactly is the reason I should use this. I just tested a website for adblock check, whereas adaway active lead to first pic.
Disable adblock and enable this tool and restart lead to the second one. So obviously the ad had not been blocked by this mod.

Is your mod for ads in games or how should i understand that?

Just a bit confused, sry

I guess you are using Opera, right? Opera has its own proxy solution and unfortunately it does not use the system web view, thus I cannot get it work with the same reason as UnbelovedHosts. I am still searching for more stable hooking methods.

ticktock666

Feb 20, 2010
Just gave the module another go, still having the same issue.

I'm playing this game : Animation Throwdown the Quest for Cards, and i have minminguard installed and the game whitelisted, the game offers ads in exchange for some increased drop rates, and you have to click on the watch button for the ads to start, which in my setup works well.

When i install this module, activate, whitelist the game, reboot (exact steps), clicking the watch ads button in game does nothing, rebooting doesn't change anything.

Once i disable/remove the module and reboot i can run the ads again, haven't tried with other apps since i don't have any others with ads in them tbh.

aviraxp

Jun 24, 2016
Beijing
Just gave the module another go, still having the same issue.

I'm playing this game : Animation Throwdown the Quest for Cards, and i have minminguard installed and the game whitelisted, the game offers ads in exchange for some increased drop rates, and you have to click on the watch button for the ads to start, which in my setup works well.

When i install this module, activate, whitelist the game, reboot (exact steps), clicking the watch ads button in game does nothing, rebooting doesn't change anything.

Once i disable/remove the module and reboot i can run the ads again, haven't tried with other apps since i don't have any others with ads in them tbh.

I am addressing this issue, but I need more info. Does every time you click the ads it does nothing?

Reactions: fallenwout

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the reborn version of Adblocker, which helps you block advertisements from various Ad-Network.

It can block advertisements in many aspects according to a pre-loaded-list, such as activities, views, hosts-based, webview-based, receivers and many many more.

It does not affect system hosts file, and does not conflict with it either. It also has whitelist feature so you can easily control it. You can also use it along with AdAway or other adblockers to extend its power, especially built-in app ads.

This module is being actively developed, and I will update it about every ten days. If you have any issues or want to contribute to the project, feel free to contact me via Github or XDA.

MOD EDIT
    Numerous reports from users of certain devices that this module can disable things, cause erratic behaviour and other issues, have been reported.
    Specifically, most of these seem to be related to users of Xiaomi's Mi-line of devices. In the case of these devices, the module can cause behaviour such as stopping the launcher and removing some options from settings, making the module difficult to remove.
    Proceed with your own caution, and preferably a backup to restore if you encounter such erratic behaviours. This will also be posted in the OP of the thread.
    There are varying alternatives that work well. This module has also NOT been updated at all lately, and it's recommended that users seek alternatives.

Download:
    http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.aviraxp.adblocker.continued

Features:
    - Activityies Block
    - Views Block
    - Hosts Block (Not affect system hosts file)
    - WebView Block
    - Services Block
    - Receivers Block

Principle of Work:
    I hook some fundamental classes and methods of Android system, check if they are included in a pre-loaded-list (maintained by me), and break the calling of these classes and methods if included. There might be some false positives so feel free to contact me.

FAQs:

- How does it work compared to AdAway and MinMinGuard?

AdAway modifies system hosts file to redirect some ad servers to local host, thus prevent from accessing them. MinMinGuard blocks some prebuilt app Ad providers from taking effect. My application have both of their features, and extends by blocking services and receivers.

- Where is the hosts' source?

Now, it covers Dan Pollock's hosts and some app specific blocking hosts. I am searching for good sources which is simple and effective. If you have some suggestions, feel free to let me know.

- Why does not it take effects to some browsers?

The reason is basically the same as unbeloved hosts. Some browsers have their own network solutions which conflict with the normal handling method. But for browsers which simply use original WebView loading method it works well.

- There are some false positives!

Contact me via Github or here. You can also use the whitelist feature. For element whitelist, just enable debug logging, find the element(activities, hosts, views...) according to a 'block success' line, and add them to the whitelist. Each element takes one line.

- I need to view ads for some reason.

Use the whitelist feature. However, some apps uses Android System WebView as an elements loader, so you should whitelist it too. But this will ramp down the power of blocking. I am working on a better whitelist feature.

- I want to donate to you for your work.

Use the PayPal donation option:https://www.paypal.me/wanghan1995315. But it will not make any difference or be a privilege for you. There is no such thing as advanced support.

- How can I contribute to you if I found something useful (hosts, Ad SDKs)?

I am working on a block list repo on Github. Feel free to open a pull request.

XDA:DevDB Information
    AdBlocker Reborn, Xposed for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    aviraxp
    Source Code: https://github.com/aviraxp/AdBlocker_Reborn

Xposed Package Name: com.aviraxp.adblocker.continued

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.5.1
    Stable Release Date: 2017-03-13

Created 2017-02-11
    Last Updated 2017-04-18
    CHANGE LOG:

1.1.1:

- Fix an incremental bug which causes many false positives
    - Add system apps protection
    - Add shortcut block (all credits to apsun)
    - Various Fixes

1.1:

- Add more builtin hosts
    - Replace regular expression with Easylist rules to improve performance
    - Tweak default preferences (Hiding is disabled and WebView Block is enabled)
    - Introduce element whitelist
    - Implement system framework apps protection
    - Various fixes

1.0.2:

- Implement aggressive block toggle
    - Add XDA link and PayPal donation
    - Improve blocking effect by importing blacklist from AdScanner
    - Address more false positives
    Gonna work on it now.
    Important Announcement:

I am busy writing my paper for bachelor degree. So this app will not be updated in the following 2/3 weeks. I will be back when I am ready.
    Version 1.1.1 has been uploaded.

I derped in 1.1, which blocks all localhost requests. Sorry for this. Please update to 1.1.1 as soon as possible.