Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu

Ok that's strange.

It did look like you got bootlogo, then black screen for a second, then bootlogo again. Does this only happen when you flash CF-Auto-Root, or also when booting normally?

Try disabling auto-reboot on flash (its an option in ODIN somewhere), and when the flash is done, holding volup+home+power to reboot directly into recovery mode, and see what happens.

Really strange this ...

Grant Barker

Apr 14, 2008
www.thecomputermouse.com
Ok that's strange.

It did look like you got bootlogo, then black screen for a second, then bootlogo again. Does this only happen when you flash CF-Auto-Root, or also when booting normally?

Standard Boot

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

Ok that's strange.

Try disabling auto-reboot on flash (its an option in ODIN somewhere), and when the flash is done, holding volup+home+power to reboot directly into recovery mode, and see what happens.

Really strange this ...

I did this but it's the same result.

Grant Barker

Apr 14, 2008
www.thecomputermouse.com
The above video is of the standard boot up.
I even went back to Windows 7 from Windows 8 Release Preview, just to see if it helps.
(I know Samsung Kies doesn't play well with Windows 8 Release Preview.)

I'm not sure of the best way to do a Nandroid Backup and get it to you on this SC-02E, with most software out there being for the 7100 or 7105's.
Would appreciate any adivce. Flash count is now 17. I'm `guilty on all counts'.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Grant Barker

Apr 14, 2008
www.thecomputermouse.com
chainfireb.jpg

Last edited:

Grant Barker

Apr 14, 2008
www.thecomputermouse.com
Chainfire,

Is it possible that the Nand recovery you had to make the SC-02E CF-Auto-Root was not correct or complete, for some reason?
vipsavior is linking his here.
Many of the methods, tutorials or programs used to get the nand recovery, don't stress support for the SC-02E. Is it therefore possible that the extraction process or something is not complete? Would you be able to see a difference when you do what you do with the Nand Recovery to make your SC-02E CF-Auto-Root? Thanks for your advice and work, so far.

Reactions: tyr0ne

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Chainfire,

Is it possible that the Nand recovery you had to make the SC-02E CF-Auto-Root was not correct or complete, for some reason?
vipsavior is linking his here.
Many of the methods, tutorials or programs used to get the nand recovery, don't stress support for the SC-02E. Is it therefore possible that the extraction process or something is not complete? Would you be able to see a difference when you do what you do with the Nand Recovery to make your SC-02E CF-Auto-Root? Thanks for your advice and work, so far.

I used the recovery from the original firmware (which I got from SamFirmware)... no idea why it isn't working, really.

Reactions: tyr0ne

octa_amide

Dec 16, 2010
Hi chainfire,
and fellow SC-02E user.

We have been trying hard to root our phone but no one is successful yet.

I would just like to add my experiences so that we can know what had been tried.

First, I had lost count on my flash counter.
Don't really bother to remember.
It's no point now.

I had been flashing both CWM and TWRP.
Using them both to try to root.
Also. Tried CF-Auto-root.
And toolkit from mskip. With my own insecure boot.img

Everytime after system boot.
SU is missing. Regardless if I use superuser or supersu.

Next. I tried using the terminal command in TWRP to manually copy SU to the system but after I boot up my phone.
SU is missing again.
Tried to chown and also chmod.
SU will be missing.

Something is detecting SU and deleting it when system is booting up.

Any way to trace?

Just to share my experience.

Sent from my SC-02E using xda premium

sholimar

Feb 25, 2011
Hello Chainfire,

First of all, let me extend my deepest gratitude for all your work over the years... it's truly great seeing someone so passionate and professional about their hobby! :)

Now that that's said, here's another request for root on the Samsung Galaxy S III Mini (I8190). I read your first post and tried to provide you with the recovery.img file, but I don't know how to extract it unfortunately.

I did search for how-tos, but only found instructions for extracting the recovery.img file from already rooted devices (running cat /proc/mtd gives back "file not found", of course)... which is pretty ironic, seeing how I required the file to gain root in the first place.
So, if anyone knows of a good tutorial please post it (or PM me); else, if I can provide anything else related to this model just say so and I'll try my best!

Best of luck!

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
I actually already downloaded an S3 Mini firmware - it seems this device is not using separate kernel and recovery partitions, but has a unified setup. That makes it incompatible with CF-Auto-Root.

Reactions: sholimar

sholimar

Feb 25, 2011
I actually already downloaded an S3 Mini firmware - it seems this device is not using separate kernel and recovery partitions, but has a unified setup. That makes it incompatible with CF-Auto-Root.

Hey, thank you very much for the speedy reply!

So, is there any other way of rooting this darned thing? :) I didn't think I'd miss root so badly so quickly, but the lack of "Move to SD" at least is really getting on my nerves...

Oh, and sorry for asking on an application thread, but none of us S III Mini users have found a way of rooting, and it's released for almost a month now (and yours is the most informed answer we could get, most likely).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CF-Auto-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root. In essence, it does nothing but install and enable SuperSU on your system, so apps can gain root access.

This thread serves as a central discussion and request thread for CF-Auto-Root. If you have questions about a specific CF-Auto-Root binary for a specific device, please go the relevant thread listed on the CF-Auto-Root homepage.

Donate
    CF-Root and CF-Auto-Root have been available for many devices (over 50 different models !) and have clocked over 9 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that include CF-Root (non-Auto) kernels. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every user had donated me $1...

What's installed
    - SuperSU binary and APK
    - Stock recovery (note that any other recovery you may have installed will be overwritten !)

What's the difference between CF-Auto-Root and CF-Root, and/or other root solutions ?
    CF-Root (non-Auto) are manually built rooted kernels and/or flashables that usually provide more than "just root". CF-Auto-Root is built on an automated system that I am constantly improving that takes a stock recovery image and returns an automated rooting packages. These packages are designed to install and enable SuperSU on your device, so apps can gain root access, and nothing more.

The difference with many other rooting solutions is that those will often install a custom recovery for you (I am personally moving away from custom kernels and recoveries, for various reasons), while with CF-Auto-Root you will end up with a stock recovery again.

Not included - custom recovery
    A custom recovery like CWM or TWRP is not included.

Not included - Triangle Away
    Triangle Away can be used to reset the flash counter after installing CF-Root. The flash counter keeps track of how many custom firmwares you have flashed, as this voids warranty. (No idea what this about ? Read up on it, you will want to use this !)

Not included - adbd Insecure
    As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
    http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/
    Requirements and requests

The the CF-Auto-Root project currently supports the following base boards:

- Samsung Exynos4
    - Texas Instruments Omap4
    - Qualcomm MSM8660

Other boards will probably be added soon. Currently only Samsung devices are supported, but I'm looking to expand into other devices soon as well.

To be able to make CF-Auto-Root for a device:

- The device needs to have (and use) separate kernel and recovery partitions
    - The kernel and recovery format must be the boot.img standard (no zImage support)
    - I need the recovery.img file, so post it in this thread if you need support for a new device :)
    Devices and threads

The full list of all supported devices is always available and always current at the CF-Auto-Root homepage.

Most supported devices have their own threads here on XDA, you can find the thread for your device in the device listing on the CF-Auto-Root homepage as well.

I will not be maintaining a secondary list in this post, as it would be double work.
    First of all, wasn't sure if it was allowed to post on this thread (it's odd, 4 days old and no post), as I've seen nothing saying I shouldn't, here I go.

Newbie question here:

1) Is it possible to flash CWM Recovery with this root?
    2) I'm willing to flash it, should I then just root using CF-Root(non-auto) as it already comes with CWM?
    3) The version of CWM on CF-Root (non-auto) is already outdated, would it be a problem if I just flashed the new version over it with ODIN (download it from clockworkmod.com/rommanager and flash)?

I ask this because I want to keep my phone as stock as possible, but want to be able to perform a Nandroid backup and flash some ZIPs (if there's a way to perferm/restore Nandroid backups and flash ZIPs w/o CWM please tell me how :) )

This thread is pretty much quiet because most of the supported devices have their own threads ;)

(1) Root is a separate thing from CWM. CF-Auto-Root does not include CWM, but if your device has a CWM build you can certainly flash it. The "ROM Manager" app will be able to install it if your device has an "officially" supported CWM build from Koush himself.
    (2) If a CF-Root (non-auto) is available then it's probably outdated. I do not maintain any CWM builds anymore, but others do for most devices, so you should be able to find one.
    (3) You can do that no problem.

I use Mobile ODIN for flashing ZIPs, but it does not do backup/restores (yet *wink*). For my other backup needs, I use Titanium Backup.

But to each their own. Some people prefer CWM, some people prefer TWRP, some people like me prefer stock so we can keep the counters at 0/official, etc. CF-Auto-Root keeps all our options open. It doesn't prevent you from anything, though it does also not include anything like that.