[RECOVERY] Modified 3e Recovery

Search This thread

h8rift

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 29, 2010
Dani897 has already made a discussion of this, but I'm moving this information over as an official post in the Infuse 4G section as well.

This is from existz/untermensch's thread. I take no credit. See here for more info http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=909213

Making this modification will allow you to flash un-signed .zip files due to signature verification being turned off. (3e requires root)

* Download and extract the .zip
* Use a terminal emulator or ADB Shell and mount system as read/write.
* For backup purposes, use adb or root explorer to rename the current recovery file in /system/bin to recovery.orig
* Use a file manager (Root Explorer) and copy the new recovery file to /system/bin
* Reboot and your 3e (Froyo stock) recovery will no longer require signature checking.

You can now use this recovery or use the CWM from Captivate (posted in another thread here).

I am not responsible if this bricks your phone. This is easy cheese...just follow these steps.

Download:
3e Recovery w/o signature verification

Youtube video using Root Explorer from gtg465x (Make sure to Thank him!!)

Last edited:

Dani897

Aug 16, 2010
i already tested this days ago and cwm

except using truselos super easy batch script to make it even more easy for people to use.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1086622

still there is disbelief. yes people it works! im not sure what trouble people are having flahsing roms but cwm and 3e can flash .zip files just fine. i expected to see some flashable mods and themes by now. i have successfully flashed files for testing purposes and im not too advanced of a user. i planed to post some things like a market fix and such but i have been disrtacted.

h8rift

Jun 29, 2010
i already tested this days ago and cwm

except using truselos super easy batch script to make it even more easy for people to use.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1086622

still there is disbelief. yes people it works! im not sure what trouble people are having flahsing roms but cwm and 3e can flash .zip files just fine. i expected to see some flashable mods and themes by now. i have successfully flashed files for testing purposes and im not too advanced of a user. i planed to post some things like a market fix and such but i have been disrtacted.

Dani, i completely agree. If you notice, I made mention of your testing at the top of the article.

Now that there is a dedicated thread, its much more likely to be realized that this works FINE. I think once I get a tester for the Odin package I slapped together to get us back to stock in case we brick, and get it successfully setup, i'll put a thread out and we can REALLY get to work on some ROMs.

So far, this phone's software is nearly identical to the Captivate, meaning we will just need to port from the Captivate and we will have a mass of ROMs in no time!

Dani897

Aug 16, 2010
Dani, i completely agree. If you notice, I made mention of your testing at the top of the article.

Now that there is a dedicated thread, its much more likely to be realized that this works FINE. I think once I get a tester for the Odin package I slapped together to get us back to stock in case we brick, and get it successfully setup, i'll put a thread out and we can REALLY get to work on some ROMs.

So far, this phone's software is nearly identical to the Captivate, meaning we will just need to port from the Captivate and we will have a mass of ROMs in no time!

as soon as we get some kernel dev on this thing i agree. porting will be easy. thanks for the write ups too. are you planning to get a second phone? i would test if i had two of them. my captivate will go to my brother, if it weren't for that id have probably bricked it and begged some people to try making new odin packages for me to fix it.

i understand that after a brick the user hates not having the phone and may be very tempted to return it but it is helpful to everyone to try all you can to recover it. if mine bricks im using the insureance plan and saying it was stolen, then i will have a dedicated test phone.

h8rift

Jun 29, 2010
I have an Atrix as well, but would prefer someone who may have already bricked to try this package that i wrote up this morning.

I dont mind someone wanting to swap.their phone...but i literally need about an hour or two of time with the brick's user and its very likely that we will have working Odin....and then you and i...as well as others... can do kernel and rom deving nearly immediately. We have source already, so we only need to test this safety net :). PM me if you find someone who is bricked or is willing to test!!

-h8

as soon as we get some kernel dev on this thing i agree. porting will be easy. thanks for the write ups too. are you planning to get a second phone? i would test if i had two of them. my captivate will go to my brother, if it weren't for that id have probably bricked it and begged some people to try making new odin packages for me to fix it.

i understand that after a brick the user hates not having the phone and may be very tempted to return it but it is helpful to everyone to try all you can to recover it. if mine bricks im using the insureance plan and saying it was stolen, then i will have a dedicated test phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using XDA App

Realityfalse

Mar 2, 2011
Orange Park, Fl
www.facebook.com
I have a bricked Infuse im not sure what caused the crash. I was running stock rooted by the super one click method and was uninstalling an app when it went all black except the bottom keys. Doesnt do much of anything else now. I attempted an odin fix someone suggested to no avail. I can get into download mode still but nothing else. Id be willing to try anything to unbrick it .

budco2000

Jan 18, 2011
Tampa, Florida
it's working for me, I unzipped, put the file in my dropbox, downloaded the file on phone from dropbox, used root explorer to mount, (I'm already rooted) copied the file, went to system/bin, renamed the original, then pasted the new file, rebooted, flashed CWM to captivate, and rebooted into recovery, and it works. I still have my HTC Inspire, i'm on a 30 day run here to see if i like the infuse. So far it's the best GPS i've had, and i've had a lot of phones. I hate to think I spent 600 bucks on a another captivate. I had that phone as well, but so far i really like it.

budco2000

Jan 18, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I have a bricked Infuse im not sure what caused the crash. I was running stock rooted by the super one click method and was uninstalling an app when it went all black except the bottom keys. Doesnt do much of anything else now. I attempted an odin fix someone suggested to no avail. I can get into download mode still but nothing else. Id be willing to try anything to unbrick it .
if you can get into download mode I personally would try running the captivate odin and see what happens, buts that's just me lol. I'm a risk taker lol.

Dani897

Aug 16, 2010
if you can get into download mode I personally would try running the captivate odin and see what happens, buts that's just me lol. I'm a risk taker lol.

dont do that. you dont want the captivate param.ifs on here. you may loose download mode if the boot parameters get messed up. especially dont flash anything with bootloaders, that means no one click nad no 3-button fix roms. this may be similar to the galaxy s but there are atleast a few differences in hardware layout that would make that a bad idea. for instance this can run gps and camera during phone calls. the sgs cant so the way things comunicate on the board may be differet, it may also just be differences in the kernel or framework but we cant be sure.

Last edited:

h8rift

Jun 29, 2010
dont do that. you dont want the captivate param.ifs on here. you may loose download mode if the boot parameters get messed up. especially dont flash anything with bootloaders, that means no one click nad no 3-button fix roms. this may be similar to the galaxy s but there are atleast a few differences in hardware layout that would make that a bad idea. for instance this can run gps and camera during phone calls. the sgs cant so the way things comunicate on the board may be differet, it may also just be differences in the kernel or framework but we cant be sure.

Yes. DO NOT DO that.

BTW, I just had a successful Odin flash with beatblaster! His framework-res was broken, and he flashed all stock partitions successfully. Hope to be posting it up to the masses in about an hour; After he does some initial checks now that he's back to stock to make sure everything is 100%!

Let's get this party started ;)....stay tuned!

Reactions: slider2828

Dani897

Aug 16, 2010
Yes. DO NOT DO that.

BTW, I just had a successful Odin flash with beatblaster! His framework-res was broken, and he flashed all stock partitions successfully. Hope to be posting it up to the masses in about an hour; After he does some initial checks now that he's back to stock to make sure everything is 100%!

yaaay :D

ok now we can get all crazy with few worries. good to hear!

slider2828

Jul 19, 2010
Yes. DO NOT DO that.

Sweet! So the dump was good then it sounds like. So just to sum it all up, odin the pda tar and it restores and wipes EVERYTHING!

Woops! AND DEODEXED!!?!?

Last edited:

Cohdee

May 31, 2011
I'm pretty new to all of this, but here is how I did it. Make sure you have busybox installed!

Extract the "recovery" file to your phone's internal SD card.
On your phone, go into your terminal emulator.
Type in "su" and press enter.
Type in "cd /sdcard" and press enter.
Type in "mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/stl9 /system"
Type in "cp -f recovery /system/bin" and press enter.
Reboot your phone.

Maybe this will help someone. Maybe it's not even the right way to do this, and my phone will soon explode. I'm a pretty big noob with this, so someone let me know.

PS: If you brick your phone, it isn't my fault. :)

Last edited:

spirikitik

Jun 3, 2011
Hi I came from iPhone 4 and like 2days owning this infuse, I am trying to follow gtg465x to install his ROM, I am done with the rooting and his next step is to "install 3e recovery" now that I am here I am totally lost, I downloaded the file here my Questions are:
1.where do I extract the zip I donwloaded from here? From the SD card root?
2. What thing will I use Terminal emulator or ADB SHELL to make it read/write is that 2 an Android apps I'm lost here. I am trying to be careful, I searched and found too much post and way different doing this. So now I am confuse.
Can anybody tell me how it install 3e recovery the easy and idiot proof way, like I said I am new to android I really have no idea about everything, and most of them too are initial I don't even know what the initials means. Anyone? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using XDA Premium App

Cohdee

May 31, 2011
Hi I came from iPhone 4 and like 2days owning this infuse, I am trying to follow gtg465x to install his ROM, I am done with the rooting and his next step is to "install 3e recovery" now that I am here I am totally lost, I downloaded the file here my Questions are:
1.where do I extract the zip I donwloaded from here? From the SD card root?
2. What thing will I use Terminal emulator or ADB SHELL to make it read/write is that 2 an Android apps I'm lost here. I am trying to be careful, I searched and found too much post and way different doing this. So now I am confuse.
Can anybody tell me how it install 3e recovery the easy and idiot proof way, like I said I am new to android I really have no idea about everything, and most of them too are initial I don't even know what the initials means. Anyone? Thanks

I came from an iphone as well, about 2 weeks ago. I used the method posted in my previous reply. It worked for me, and has been doing fine so far. One thing you must do is make sure busybox is installed before you try it though. If you dont have busybox installed, none of the commands will work. Then just download "Terminal Emulator" from the market, and use that to give commands.

Reactions: begadkepat

spirikitik

Jun 3, 2011
I came from an iphone as well, about 2 weeks ago. I used the method posted in my previous reply. It worked for me, and has been doing fine so far. One thing you must do is make sure busybox is installed before you try it though. If you dont have busybox installed, none of the commands will work. Then just download "Terminal Emulator" from the market, and use that to give commands.

What command? I really have no idea, can you give me step by step if you don't mind?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dani897 has already made a discussion of this, but I'm moving this information over as an official post in the Infuse 4G section as well.

This is from existz/untermensch's thread. I take no credit. See here for more info http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=909213

Making this modification will allow you to flash un-signed .zip files due to signature verification being turned off. (3e requires root)

* Download and extract the .zip
    * Use a terminal emulator or ADB Shell and mount system as read/write.
    * For backup purposes, use adb or root explorer to rename the current recovery file in /system/bin to recovery.orig
    * Use a file manager (Root Explorer) and copy the new recovery file to /system/bin
    * Reboot and your 3e (Froyo stock) recovery will no longer require signature checking.

You can now use this recovery or use the CWM from Captivate (posted in another thread here).

I am not responsible if this bricks your phone. This is easy cheese...just follow these steps.

Download:
    3e Recovery w/o signature verification

Youtube video using Root Explorer from gtg465x (Make sure to Thank him!!)
    Here's a video tutorial I made for the noobs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkMo8rBehHg
    I'm pretty new to all of this, but here is how I did it. Make sure you have busybox installed!

Extract the "recovery" file to your phone's internal SD card.
    On your phone, go into your terminal emulator.
    Type in "su" and press enter.
    Type in "cd /sdcard" and press enter.
    Type in "mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/stl9 /system"
    Type in "cp -f recovery /system/bin" and press enter.
    Reboot your phone.

Maybe this will help someone. Maybe it's not even the right way to do this, and my phone will soon explode. I'm a pretty big noob with this, so someone let me know.

PS: If you brick your phone, it isn't my fault. :)
    If this method doesnt work try this

Try it and it should work. Just follow the instructions.

Yes. DO NOT DO that.