Messed up screen replacement, is it repairable?

Search This thread

Brooklyn11218

Nov 26, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I dropped my screen a few months back and the glass cracked. It still worked $100 percent and since the glass wasn't shattered it didn't prevent me from using it. It was only annoying me so i decided to order a new glass and replace the glass. During this replacement I completely ****ed the phone up.

From what I understand there are 3 separate pieces, the LCD, the touchscreen digitizer, and the glass itself. I was supposed to pull the glass apart from the digitizer but instead pulled both up leaving only the lcd behind. In the process I completely shattered both glass and digitizer and severed a ribbon cable.

I couldn't link to an imgur album and the images were too large to attach so i put them in a rar file. As you can see in the pictures my new glass is completely transparent and the old broken one has a tint to it, and an extra layer attached. That was how I came to the conclusion it was the digitizer. I have tried to see if I could just replace the digitizer but all the pictures I've seen don't show the cable that I severed. I have no idea what that cable does, only that it was connected to the tinted portion of the glass.

Important to note is that the phone works. I hear it power on and if i get a notification it plays the sound and vibrates no issue. I just can't SEE anything. Does this mean the LCD is broken too? Or will it only power up when it has the digitizer attached? Is this repairable, if so, how? if not, where did I go wrong?

At this moment I am not due for an upgrade til June, and I don't have more than $100 to spend on a replacement so if I can I'd like to fix this one to both save money and not have to downgrade to a lesser phone.

Attachments

• Photos.rar
    5.3 MB · Views: 14

avruma

Oct 5, 2010
So I dropped my screen a few months back and the glass cracked. It still worked $100 percent and since the glass wasn't shattered it didn't prevent me from using it. It was only annoying me so i decided to order a new glass and replace the glass. During this replacement I completely ****ed the phone up.

From what I understand there are 3 separate pieces, the LCD, the touchscreen digitizer, and the glass itself. I was supposed to pull the glass apart from the digitizer but instead pulled both up leaving only the lcd behind. In the process I completely shattered both glass and digitizer and severed a ribbon cable.

I couldn't link to an imgur album and the images were too large to attach so i put them in a rar file. As you can see in the pictures my new glass is completely transparent and the old broken one has a tint to it, and an extra layer attached. That was how I came to the conclusion it was the digitizer. I have tried to see if I could just replace the digitizer but all the pictures I've seen don't show the cable that I severed. I have no idea what that cable does, only that it was connected to the tinted portion of the glass.

Important to note is that the phone works. I hear it power on and if i get a notification it plays the sound and vibrates no issue. I just can't SEE anything. Does this mean the LCD is broken too? Or will it only power up when it has the digitizer attached? Is this repairable, if so, how? if not, where did I go wrong?

At this moment I am not due for an upgrade til June, and I don't have more than $100 to spend on a replacement so if I can I'd like to fix this one to both save money and not have to downgrade to a lesser phone.

You can buy a replacement screen with a digitizer attached but it will cost over $100 and the way your phone is now it may not be worth doing yourself. You can get a pro install for around $200. You may want to wait for your upgrade then.

Brooklyn11218

Nov 26, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You can buy a replacement screen with a digitizer attached but it will cost over $100 and the way your phone is now it may not be worth doing yourself. You can get a pro install for around $200. You may want to wait for your upgrade then.

Yeah I was hoping there was a cheap fix but I screwed myself. I ended up buying one off eBay that has a bad charging port for $100. I'm just going to swap the mobo and I should be good to go.

Sucks I had to spend the money, it was a gift from my brother for a birthday tattoo, butit's a learning experience. If I ever try to tackle a glass replacement again I know what NOT to do.