FM Transmitter

Search This thread

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
This is a multi part question. First of all, does our phone have an FM Transmitter? I'm looking to play songs off my phone to an older car without Bluetooth by broadcasting an FM signal. I don't want to buy a piece of hardware for it. This should be doable if our phone has the transmitter.

Second, if it does have these capabilities, what apps can handle doing this? I haven't found anything yet.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

G

GuestK00471

This is a multi part question. First of all, does our phone have an FM Transmitter? I'm looking to play songs off my phone to an older car without Bluetooth by broadcasting an FM signal. I don't want to buy a piece of hardware for it. This should be doable if our phone has the transmitter.

Second, if it does have these capabilities, what apps can handle doing this? I haven't found anything yet.

No i dont believe it has a transmitter just receive if you plug in headphones :/

As for apps, I dont know of any that do what you're looking for

No, it does not have an FM "transmitter." It does have an FM receiver built-in to the chipset, however Verizon doesn't supply the apk to listen (as the other poster said, once you find the apk, which is available on xda, you need to plug in headphones which act as an antenna. BT earphones won't do the trick.)

If your older car has a cassette player, that's an option (although I suppose the adapter is a piece of hardware).

evltwn72

Jan 27, 2011
Phx, AZ

Found this in another thread. Works perfect if you want to listen to local radio stations using your phone. I just installed it on my VZW M8.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51629962&postcount=25

Reactions: vorter

nabbed

Aug 15, 2010
Wow, so no FM transmitter on our phone? Just a receiver? I'm surprised. Oh well, that about closes this thread up.

I recommend Motorola Roadster 2 (if there's not a 3 already available.)
It acts in a manner very similar to a factory hands-free systems you get with newer cars -
it turns itself on and off with your car, so you only need to charge it like once every 3-4 weeks,
It does the basic voice dialing and answering pretty well,
It can output to an FM frequency so you can do stuff over the car speakers, and it has a dedicated play music button.

Dodge DeBoulet

Mar 4, 2012
I recommend Motorola Roadster 2 (if there's not a 3 already available.)
It acts in a manner very similar to a factory hands-free systems you get with newer cars -
it turns itself on and off with your car, so you only need to charge it like once every 3-4 weeks,
It does the basic voice dialing and answering pretty well,
It can output to an FM frequency so you can do stuff over the car speakers, and it has a dedicated play music button.

I have a Roadster 2, and the sound quality over FM is pretty bad. Also, automatically turning on/off is based on motion sensing, and isn't as reliable as it should be; I've gotten into the habit of turning it off/on manually when I need it since I can't count on it to automatically be on.

If you want the best sound quality through an older audio system, look into a line-input adapter. They're usually $60-$80 and require that you remove the radio from the dashboard temporarily to install. I've installed one in my Chevy Silverado 2500HD and wired it to a 3.5mm jack I mounted in my dashboard; I can use a regular 3.5mm M-M stereo cable to listen to music from my M8 (and previously my Droid RAZR MAXX).

This is the unit I purchased. It's for GM radios, but unfortunately is discontinued. Crutchfield has a "wizard" for searching for units compatible with your vehicle, though.

brandogg

Jul 27, 2008
You can also get a wired FM modulator from WalMart for like $30.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-FMMOD02-Universal-FM-Modulator/19407742

It needs to get 12V+ and GND from your car (easily done by splicing it into the power leads to your stereo, really you can pull the pin out of the header and just wrap the leads and stuff it back in - no need for tape or sharp objects. It then physically plugs into the antenna input (and you plug your antenna into it), and when its switched on it cuts off the car's antenna and gets its signal directly from the device plugged into it. Since your car's actual antenna is disabled, you will get no interference, no matter what station you set it to, and the sound quality will be the closest to a direct line as you could get. I used to have one in an old Ford Explorer with the stock head unit, sounded great with my iPod back in the day.

Reactions: zenisnotchosen

nabbed

Aug 15, 2010
I have a Roadster 2, and the sound quality over FM is pretty bad. Also, automatically turning on/off is based on motion sensing, and isn't as reliable as it should be; I've gotten into the habit of turning it off/on manually when I need it since I can't count on it to automatically be on.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.
I too have a Roadster 2.

1) The sound quality over FM is very good. There seems to be a certain set of frequencies that the unit itself picks with its dedicated function, and those are usually free of interference from the existing stations.

Hey, Dodge DeBoulet, you need to increase the Bluetooth volume on your phone to maximum, not your car stereo volume, to get good sound.

2) The motion sensing (really sound sensing, if you want to be accurate) is very good on my unit. It turns on when I open the car door without fail. It seems to turn off when the BT signal is out of range. In other words, it works perfectly.

Dodge DeBoulet, you probably have a defective unit. You need to exchange it.

Dodge DeBoulet

Mar 4, 2012
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.
I too have a Roadster 2.

1) The sound quality over FM is very good. There seems to be a certain set of frequencies that the unit itself picks with its dedicated function, and those are usually free of interference from the existing stations.

Well, that hasn't been my experience. May be related to the fact I'm using it in a full-size truck rather than a sedan.

Hey, Dodge DeBoulet, you need to increase the Bluetooth volume on your phone to maximum, not your car stereo volume, to get good sound.

Umm, yeah. I tried every combination of volume control on the phone, on the Roadster 2 itself, and on the radio. Volume wasn't the issue; it was interference no matter what frequency was selected, static, and overall poor fidelity

2) The motion sensing (really sound sensing, if you want to be accurate) is very good on my unit. It turns on when I open the car door without fail. It seems to turn off when the BT signal is out of range. In other words, it works perfectly.

I never really looked into the technology used to turn it off/on without hitting the switch, but I do know that it was too undependable for me. Part of the problem may have been that in my usual parking locations, I would often find that my phone was still connected to the Roadster 2 even when I was inside my home (or camp). I'd go to answer the phone and discover that, even though I was in my office, the other end of the conversation was happening inside my truck.

It works OK for hands-free calls, as long as I don't have the windows open or the heat/AC cranked up high. I've given up on getting it to work with the radio, though.

Dodge DeBoulet, you probably have a defective unit. You need to exchange it.

Well, I've had it for almost 2 years. I don't think it's under warranty any more. That said, I'll probably replace it shortly with an Audi A6 or BMW 535i. I understand both of those devices are great for hands-free smartphone use :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Found this in another thread. Works perfect if you want to listen to local radio stations using your phone. I just installed it on my VZW M8.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51629962&postcount=25
    You can also get a wired FM modulator from WalMart for like $30.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-FMMOD02-Universal-FM-Modulator/19407742

It needs to get 12V+ and GND from your car (easily done by splicing it into the power leads to your stereo, really you can pull the pin out of the header and just wrap the leads and stuff it back in - no need for tape or sharp objects. It then physically plugs into the antenna input (and you plug your antenna into it), and when its switched on it cuts off the car's antenna and gets its signal directly from the device plugged into it. Since your car's actual antenna is disabled, you will get no interference, no matter what station you set it to, and the sound quality will be the closest to a direct line as you could get. I used to have one in an old Ford Explorer with the stock head unit, sounded great with my iPod back in the day.