My Impressions of EG22

Search This thread

thomasskull666

Sep 24, 2010
St. Louis
First I'll start off by saying tonight was a really terrible night for me so if this comes off as venting so be it lol.

Samsung, you're getting there that's for sure. Scrolling, screen off/on is buttery smooth and things seem to be working better than I had expected.

With that being said, there is still work that needs to be done. It may just be my location, but with the EG22 modem I feel like I've been roaming more than usual. I flashed back to the EC05 modem just to see and it confirmed my suspicion: either my phone or my area just doesn't like the new modem very much.

Another key component is battery life, it's been pretty sub-par for me. At work I have terrible reception (no bars, even roaming) so I put the phone on airplane mode and the battery is still dropping pretty consistently, much faster than on any of the other leaks or Froyo. Must be a rogue process(es) eating it up, but I can't be sure unless I do some digging which I don't really feel like doing.

All in all it's definitely coming along nicely, but by no means is it phenomenal. But for the first time since DI18, I can honestly say that I feel Sammy is doing some stuff right. Keep it up, don't let us users down :)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App

Reactions: ungovernable1977

digiblur

Jul 24, 2007
My impressions of the modem/rom is they are faking things a little bit on the signal meter as I know the signal isn't that strong in those areas. And it's not like a software update just gives better signal.

mattallica76

Jun 29, 2010
Hanover, Pa
I agree that it seems like I'm roaming more on EG22, but the modem doesn't seem to have any effect. For example, I ran the stock EG22 build for a while and noticed the roaming issue and weaker WiFi reception. Reverting to the the EC05 modem didn't seem to help these issues. One of the stores I work in has a WiFi router that I can access throughout the store on Froyo (EC05), but on GB (EF02/EG22), WiFi disconnects when I walk to the rear of the store. Doesn't seem to matter which modem I'm using at the time. I even flashed back to Froyo yesterday but left the EG22 modem installed. GPS, 3G, and WiFi were flawless all day everywhere I went. So it seems that there must me some code/instructions in the build itself that are more relevant than the modem firmware.

Another interesting tidbit is that there basically is no difference in EC05 and EG22 modems. Randy did a binary differencing to generate a patch between EC05 and EG22 and the patch file is 142 bytes, which is probably about enough to change the version name.

digiblur

Jul 24, 2007
I have noticed since the first GB leak that the WiFi reception is horrible now compared to a stock Epic with FroYo.

bondosho

May 24, 2009
Anaheim, CA
I have noticed the wifi bars being low, but it isn't effecting the speed at all. I consistently get 1.5mbps down/600kbps up when over 3g, and have seen 9mbps on 4g. Call quality seems good as well. As for battery drain? It might be a bit faster than I'm used too, but then again, I'm coming from SRF 1.2. If there are any issues with the TWLauncher, I don't notice them because I'm a LauncherPro user. Issues with the browser? I use Dolphin, so if there are any, again, I don't know. Overall though, this ROM is stable enough for daily use.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Custodian

Feb 27, 2011
First I'll start off by saying tonight was a really terrible night for me so if this comes off as venting so be it lol.

Samsung, you're getting there that's for sure. Scrolling, screen off/on is buttery smooth and things seem to be working better than I had expected.

With that being said, there is still work that needs to be done. It may just be my location, but with the EG22 modem I feel like I've been roaming more than usual. I flashed back to the EC05 modem just to see and it confirmed my suspicion: either my phone or my area just doesn't like the new modem very much.

Another key component is battery life, it's been pretty sub-par for me. At work I have terrible reception (no bars, even roaming) so I put the phone on airplane mode and the battery is still dropping pretty consistently, much faster than on any of the other leaks or Froyo. Must be a rogue process(es) eating it up, but I can't be sure unless I do some digging which I don't really feel like doing.

All in all it's definitely coming along nicely, but by no means is it phenomenal. But for the first time since DI18, I can honestly say that I feel Sammy is doing some stuff right. Keep it up, don't let us users down :)

Thomas you're awsome. Downlod WoW and come play with me. :)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.