Skinomi Carbon Fiber + Screen Protector for TF-201

Search This thread

b0nza1

Dec 21, 2011
Maybe a pain but the only way to do it. I have done a few window tint jobs and the way to make it look good is wet the crap out of it then squeeeegie.

halljo

Jan 12, 2011
hallo guys ,

Carbon Fiber Skin of looks good and fits, but the screen protector does not fit at all ^ ^ I've sent an email Skinomi, I'm curious to what they say ^ ^

Attachments

• 20120205_123837.jpg
    20120205_123837.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 472
  • 20120205_133756.jpg
    20120205_133756.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 410
  • 20120205_133826.jpg
    20120205_133826.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 423
  • 20120205_133836.jpg
    20120205_133836.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 372

Misera

Jan 30, 2011
How many times do you guys think they'll replace? The first time I asked them to replace it was b/c the gloss looked like it was splattered or dripped on the screen protector.. so there were streaks of unglossy and streaks of not. The back also looked horrible. I just got the clear b/c I liked the swirl. Emailed them pictures and had them send me the black carbon fiber set instead.

It arrived Friday and I applied it.. except even with hair dryer the corners would not conform at all. I ended up cutting the corners into pieces and fitting it together like jigsaw puzzles. Some corners have 3 pieces, some 4.. I'm wondering if they gave me an old version or something b/c the pieces don't fit nearly as well as all of your pictures. Each of the edge pieces are very short so there's gaps while the pictures posted look like they almost go up to the headphone jack/dock port etc.

What I'm most concerned about is the screen protector. The gloss is perfectly find this time but the adhesive is the problem now. It's been 3 days and none of the adhesive billions of patches are going away. Besides that, off the center of the screen there's something white. I tried removing the whole protector and picking at the spot but there's nothing there.. I even tried soaking the protector in warm water with a tiny bit of soap to see. Reapplied and it's still there. Think they'll send another replacement? :( I've had Zaggskins, Best Skins Ever, Xtremeskins etc on different devices.. so its definitely not my first time applying these things. I've installed them on a bunch of friends' devices too. I just can't figure out whats going on with Skinomi's.

Pictures are 1. Gloss so messed up. 2. Corners example.. took it before I did more fitting. It's like it wasn't even cut right I think b/c even if it was flat it wouldve been too curved. 3. Current screen protector with messed up adhesive and white dot.

Attachments

• AS1.jpg
    AS1.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 301
  • AS2.jpg
    AS2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 359
  • AS3.jpg
    AS3.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:

halljo

Jan 12, 2011
sorry for the bad pics ^^

Attachments

• 20120206_191901.jpg
    20120206_191901.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 287
  • 20120206_191915.jpg
    20120206_191915.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 260
  • 20120206_191643.jpg
    20120206_191643.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 258
  • 20120206_191801.jpg
    20120206_191801.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

al mon

Jan 28, 2011
N. Cal
I have the same exact alignment issues with the ZAGG screen protector. Overall, I'm not a fan of the "wet" application protectors. Not durable, creases with a finger nail.

The holes in my ZAGG were mis-aligned by about 2mm. The camera just bearly fits through the hole.

I really didn't care at the end because I never use the camera..... Too ugly.:eek:

radici

Jun 5, 2006
Bridgetown
can anyone send me a template for the dock compatible skinomi screen protector so I can cut out my non-compatible one?

originalnabisco

Jan 7, 2012
Honolulu
Dock's Skin and Screen Protector Incompatible

I purchased from the Skinomi website the:

Asus Transformer Prime (Keyboard Dock & Tablet Combo) Carbon Fiber Skin Protector

I at first only applied the skin to the tablet and dock and it went on great, and looked great! No problems applying, no problems docking, and no problems closing the tablet/dock.

I applied the screen protector (wet-apply) later and there were numerous issues with the screen protector. But besides those issues the main issue I am having is that the dock's skin pushes into the screen protector when the tablet/dock is closed, leaving a very noticeable imprint (especially noticeable when the screen displays white). This mark goes away after a couple hours (thankfully!) but I don't think it is supposed to even leave such an imprint! I am also worried about a permanent imprint happening.

I was wondering if anybody else who has applied this combination of skin + screen protector has this same issue? I have been putting one of those cloth keyboard/screen protector things in between the tablet and dock to prevent this from happening, but I recently noticed after leaving the tablet/dock closed with the cloth protector inside for an entire day, that it left a very noticeable but different mark as well (I am still waiting for it to go away).

Thank you

slugbug2010

Oct 12, 2010
Austin, Tx

Asus Transformer Prime (Keyboard Dock & Tablet Combo) Carbon Fiber Skin Protector

I at first only applied the skin to the tablet and dock and it went on great, and looked great! No problems applying, no problems docking, and no problems closing the tablet/dock.

I applied the screen protector (wet-apply) later and there were numerous issues with the screen protector. But besides those issues the main issue I am having is that the dock's skin pushes into the screen protector when the tablet/dock is closed, leaving a very noticeable imprint (especially noticeable when the screen displays white). This mark goes away after a couple hours (thankfully!) but I don't think it is supposed to even leave such an imprint! I am also worried about a permanent imprint happening.

I was wondering if anybody else who has applied this combination of skin + screen protector has this same issue? I have been putting one of those cloth keyboard/screen protector things in between the tablet and dock to prevent this from happening, but I recently noticed after leaving the tablet/dock closed with the cloth protector inside for an entire day, that it left a very noticeable but different mark as well (I am still waiting for it to go away).

Thank you

Yea....... I noticed that too. How the he'll am I gonna close my docked tablet without it peeling one of the protectors off (or certainly loosening it or deformity over time) and as you mentioned..... I wonder what I can place between the two that won't leave a comment imprint. I think was thinking maybe one of the empty sheets from the Skinomi application, or the thin sheet that I my my case came wrapped in (I think our Primes were wrapped in a similar sheet?)

---------- Post added at 01:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

How many times do you guys think they'll replace? The first time I asked them to replace it was b/c the gloss looked like it was splattered or dripped on the screen protector.. so there were streaks of unglossy and streaks of not. The back also looked horrible. I just got the clear b/c I liked the swirl. Emailed them pictures and had them send me the black carbon fiber set instead.

It arrived Friday and I applied it.. except even with hair dryer the corners would not conform at all. I ended up cutting the corners into pieces and fitting it together like jigsaw puzzles. Some corners have 3 pieces, some 4.. I'm wondering if they gave me an old version or something b/c the pieces don't fit nearly as well as all of your pictures. Each of the edge pieces are very short so there's gaps while the pictures posted look like they almost go up to the headphone jack/dock port etc.

What I'm most concerned about is the screen protector. The gloss is perfectly find this time but the adhesive is the problem now. It's been 3 days and none of the adhesive billions of patches are going away. Besides that, off the center of the screen there's something white. I tried removing the whole protector and picking at the spot but there's nothing there.. I even tried soaking the protector in warm water with a tiny bit of soap to see. Reapplied and it's still there. Think they'll send another replacement? :( I've had Zaggskins, Best Skins Ever, Xtremeskins etc on different devices.. so its definitely not my first time applying these things. I've installed them on a bunch of friends' devices too. I just can't figure out whats going on with Skinomi's.

Pictures are 1. Gloss so messed up. 2. Corners example.. took it before I did more fitting. It's like it wasn't even cut right I think b/c even if it was flat it wouldve been too curved. 3. Current screen protector with messed up adhesive and white dot.

They have a a 30 days "no questions asked" return policy, so I'm guessing as long as you're with that window, all you pay is shipping.

But you have legit concerns, send them the pics, see what they say

Reactions: originalnabisco

duckfart

Mar 9, 2007
Seattle
I only put on the main back cover, the edges did not stick very well even with a dryer. The screen protector sucks.

neckbonest

Aug 14, 2011
jacksonville florida
glad i didnt find this thread till after i put tablet dock kit on. it looks awesom and you cant even tell their is a screen protector on it bnut i took my sweet a## time putting this thing together. everyone that has seen it loves it including me. as for the corners, you have to do them last. leave them sticking up till you are done with that piece then hit it with the blow dryer. heat the top and under the edge and it will stick, as long as you cleaned it before hand.

Misera

Jan 30, 2011
They have a a 30 days "no questions asked" return policy, so I'm guessing as long as you're with that window, all you pay is shipping.

They sent me a new screen protector and it's definitely from a different batch. Even the ends of the tube are a different color. This one fits perfectly without needing to stretch it with a blow dryer. After a few weeks of letting it dry it's 500x better than the last 2 they sent but it still has some odd marks like micro micro bubbles in 2 places that never went away. Guess the adhesive just isn't the best in these things. The marks from the squeegee are still there too. Not scratches, just indentions. I used 2 layers of cloths around the card so that it wouldn't scratch as those do scratch the surface. Satisfied though! They made no effort in fixing the issues with the corners for the edge pieces but they probably thought my puzzle piecing was good enough. I blasted that crap with my hairdryer and it never melted into place or even got soft like other people's in this thread. Oh well!

I'm finally going to pick up my dock at BB today.. this will be my 3rd try getting it from BB. Last one they couldn't find it anywhere in the pick up area or in the store. Apparently sold it to someone else even though I called and told them exactly when I'd be flying into town. The previous one I didn't order but it said Available Now for pickup on that day at another store in another town but the tech guy told me I was wrong and it was only available for order. Third time may be the charm.. 3rd city, 3rd BB. I'll post about the dock skin installation after if I get the dock today!

Reactions: originalnabisco

originalnabisco

Jan 7, 2012
Honolulu
They sent me a new screen protector and it's definitely from a different batch. Even the ends of the tube are a different color. This one fits perfectly without needing to stretch it with a blow dryer. After a few weeks of letting it dry it's 500x better than the last 2 they sent but it still has some odd marks like micro micro bubbles in 2 places that never went away. Guess the adhesive just isn't the best in these things. The marks from the squeegee are still there too. Not scratches, just indentions. I used 2 layers of cloths around the card so that it wouldn't scratch as those do scratch the surface. Satisfied though! They made no effort in fixing the issues with the corners for the edge pieces but they probably thought my puzzle piecing was good enough. I blasted that crap with my hairdryer and it never melted into place or even got soft like other people's in this thread. Oh well!

I'm finally going to pick up my dock at BB today.. this will be my 3rd try getting it from BB. Last one they couldn't find it anywhere in the pick up area or in the store. Apparently sold it to someone else even though I called and told them exactly when I'd be flying into town. The previous one I didn't order but it said Available Now for pickup on that day at another store in another town but the tech guy told me I was wrong and it was only available for order. Third time may be the charm.. 3rd city, 3rd BB. I'll post about the dock skin installation after if I get the dock today!

Thanks for the info :D I contacted Skinomi about my issues with the dock + screen protector and they sent me a new one for free. They didn't really address the issues I mentioned so I was a little disappointed, but after hearing that the one they sent you seems to be from a different batch, my hopes are up again!

RMXO

Feb 20, 2011
CA
Here's my installation from Bestbuys. Since they always do an awesome job, I always comeback when I get a new device.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

4c673742-9454-1ae0.jpg

4c673742-9467-9414.jpg

4c673742-947f-ae5c.jpg

4c673742-9491-f221.jpg

4c673742-94a8-1f4e.jpg

4c673742-94ba-49d5.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Carbon fiber backing is decent, but the screen protector is garbage. One of the corners looks like it was hand cut, and the whole thing doesn't fit properly. If the protector is aligned properly to the camera and light sensor, the whole thing is shifted too far to the left, leaving about 5mm uncovered on the right, and the protector hanging over the left side of the tablet. :mad:

Thank you

Yea....... I noticed that too. How the he'll am I gonna close my docked tablet without it peeling one of the protectors off (or certainly loosening it or deformity over time) and as you mentioned..... I wonder what I can place between the two that won't leave a comment imprint. I think was thinking maybe one of the empty sheets from the Skinomi application, or the thin sheet that I my my case came wrapped in (I think our Primes were wrapped in a similar sheet?)

---------- Post added at 01:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------