[Q] After Android 4.3 Update- No Signal triggers false voicemail notification

Search This thread

chomper10

Jan 27, 2014
Hi everyone,

I work in an office that has no cell signal. So when I step into my office, my bars go away, I get the no signal symbol and then 30 seconds later my phone will alert me that I have a voicemail (when I don't have one). When I step into an area where I can get a signal, the voicemail notification goes away and my phone is fine. All of this started the day I updated to Android 4.3.

I've called Verizon multiple times and all they can do is tell me to reset my phone, which I have done multiple times.... I also have had my voicemail reset

It's really annoying since it will vibrate and the screen lights up as usual for 30 seconds.

Now my battery drains faster since my phone vibrates every 5 -15 minutes all day while I'm at work.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
So what is the issue? Low or no cell signal will cause your battery to drain real fast. You need to put your phone in airplane mode. The way your phone behaved is perfectly normal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

chomper10

Jan 27, 2014
So what is the issue? Low or no cell signal will cause your battery to drain real fast. You need to put your phone in airplane mode. The way your phone behaved is perfectly normal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

The issue is that when I lose signal completely, my phone notifies me that I have a voicemail, when in actuality I don't.

No signal = false voicemail notification

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
The issue is that when I lose signal completely, my phone notifies me that I have a voicemail, when in actuality I don't.

In your case, most likely the issue is in VZ voicemail system, I pretty sure it's not your phone, since the voicemail notification is delivery by VZ voice mail system. I suggest a few workaround:
1) If you preferred VZ voice mail, setup a call forward during the "none signal period".
2) Switch to Google voice mail.
3) Put your phone in Airplane mode during the "none signal period"

chomper10

Jan 27, 2014
So you don't think it's my phone... My thought it was my phone since it happened right after the Android 4.3 update. My wife has updated hers to 4.3 and she gets the same issues.

Verizon thought it was my phone because the in order to get a voicemail notification data is sent over the cell signal.

In my case, I don't have a cell signal and then the false notification appears.

Looking at your workarounds
1) Won't work for me, I'm on the go all day. I go in and out of rooms where I do/don't have cell signal.
2) Will need to look into it, I never heard of Google voicemail.
3) Got young kids... need to be ready if they get sick!:rolleyes:

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
So you don't think it's my phone... My thought it was my phone since it happened right after the Android 4.3 update. My wife has updated hers to 4.3 and she gets the same issues.

Verizon thought it was my phone because the in order to get a voicemail notification data is sent over the cell signal.

In my case, I don't have a cell signal and then the false notification appears.

Looking at your workarounds
1) Won't work for me, I'm on the go all day. I go in and out of rooms where I do/don't have cell signal.
2) Will need to look into it, I never heard of Google voicemail.
3) Got young kids... need to be ready if they get sick!:rolleyes:

Another option, do you have access to wifi where no cell signal? BTW, most people preferred google voice mail over VZ voice mail.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011

You can download grove IP and set it up with Google voice. You can handout google phone number to your important people so they can reach you during this no cell signal period. You also can call out using grove IP. Grove IP is voice over IP instead of using cell signal.This also work well with Google voice mail.

chomper10

Jan 27, 2014

Today I called Verizon to disable my voicemail system. Then I turned off my phone, walked outside to get a signal and I had no voicemail notification.

Then, I walked inside, lost signal and then the voicemail notification appeared.

Something in the Android 4.3 update is causing the notification to appear. Very annoying...

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Today I called Verizon to disable my voicemail system. Then I turned off my phone, walked outside to get a signal and I had no voicemail notification.

Then, I walked inside, lost signal and then the voicemail notification appeared.

Something in the Android 4.3 update is causing the notification to appear. Very annoying...

Sound like you discovered a bug with 4.3 which none of us has experienced!

5ft24

Apr 21, 2011
Mount Vernon

Does the message say you have a voicemail? Mine says "voicemail activity detected unable to connect to server"

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
I second the idea of you going to Google voice for your voice mail. Verizon voice mail notifications was always buggy for me. Plus you get free visual voice mail with Google voice. After you reroute your vmail to voice you should never see vzw vmail again.

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

I should mention this happened to me like a year ago and I had to delete everything from my vzw vmail account then wait a few days before the false notification went away. Now that I think about it that is why I went to Google voice.

Reactions: buhohitr

mtnhack

Feb 3, 2014
Well, not the only one.

Sound like you discovered a bug with 4.3 which none of us has experienced!

Hi everyone,

I work in an office that has no cell signal. So when I step into my office, my bars go away, I get the no signal symbol and then 30 seconds later my phone will alert me that I have a voicemail (when I don't have one). When I step into an area where I can get a signal, the voicemail notification goes away and my phone is fine. All of this started the day I updated to Android 4.3.

I've called Verizon multiple times and all they can do is tell me to reset my phone, which I have done multiple times.... I also have had my voicemail reset

It's really annoying since it will vibrate and the screen lights up as usual for 30 seconds.

Now my battery drains faster since my phone vibrates every 5 -15 minutes all day while I'm at work.

Any thoughts?
I too have this exact issue. The false VM notification is annoying for sure (it is always 2 "new" VM, when in fact there are zero), but the more annoying aspect is the "mobile network unavailable" message. Not only does it happen every time I move to the center of the building, but it tends to persist for a few minutes after moving back to areas that I know I have coverage.

This began with the 4.3 update, and nothing else has changed. :( It is so annoying, that I have spent hours searching for a resolution which is how I ended up here.

chomper10

Jan 27, 2014
I too have this exact issue. The false VM notification is annoying for sure (it is always 2 "new" VM, when in fact there are zero), but the more annoying aspect is the "mobile network unavailable" message. Not only does it happen every time I move to the center of the building, but it tends to persist for a few minutes after moving back to areas that I know I have coverage.

This began with the 4.3 update, and nothing else has changed. :( It is so annoying, that I have spent hours searching for a resolution which is how I ended up here.

Sorry it has taken a while to respond. I *might* have solved my problem.

So right now my Verizon voicemail is disabled and I get the false voicemail alert when I lose signal. I do not receive any other messages.

Our wifi hubs have been updated, so now when I go into work, I get wifi all day long without interruption. Since then, no more false voicemail alerts!

Just to experiment, I disabled my wifi and sure enough I got the false voicemail notification. Turned wifi back on and it eventually cleared itself after a minute. Hope this helps!

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
Sorry it has taken a while to respond. I *might* have solved my problem.

So right now my Verizon voicemail is disabled and I get the false voicemail alert when I lose signal. I do not receive any other messages.

Our wifi hubs have been updated, so now when I go into work, I get wifi all day long without interruption. Since then, no more false voicemail alerts!

Just to experiment, I disabled my wifi and sure enough I got the false voicemail notification. Turned wifi back on and it eventually cleared itself after a minute. Hope this helps!

Did you go in your voicemail and make sure all messages are deleted? if you empty your vm completely and keep it empty it should fix its self after a day or two.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I second the idea of you going to Google voice for your voice mail. Verizon voice mail notifications was always buggy for me. Plus you get free visual voice mail with Google voice. After you reroute your vmail to voice you should never see vzw vmail again.

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

I should mention this happened to me like a year ago and I had to delete everything from my vzw vmail account then wait a few days before the false notification went away. Now that I think about it that is why I went to Google voice.