anyone ever have problems with there x reading the sim?

Search This thread

sicmadek

Nov 16, 2010
louisiana
i just got my motomakes x today and popped in my straight talk nano sim. everything worked fine for about an hour then bam red triangle, meaning emergency calls only. i tried reinserting the sim multiple times but same thing. for the hell of it i popped in the tmobile sim that shipped in the phone and it reads it just fine. has this happened to anyone else before?

larry62

Sep 1, 2012
i just got my motomakes x today and popped in my straight talk nano sim. everything worked fine for about an hour then bam red triangle, meaning emergency calls only. i tried reinserting the sim multiple times but same thing. for the hell of it i popped in the tmobile sim that shipped in the phone and it reads it just fine. has this happened to anyone else before?

Very few MVNOs like Straight Talk offer official nano SIMs for sale. You (or someone else) make them by cutting down a larger SIM, and that can be imperfect. Officially nano SIMs are also slightly thinner than other SIM sizes, so you have to carefully sand them down although many don't do that and find things work OK. I purchased a NET10 nano SIM from a reseller and have had similar problems although sometimes a reboot fixes it and sometimes a single reinsert of the SIM has fixed the problem (a couple times it's taken several tries). Until I run the phone using an official nano SIM I'm reluctant to say my phone has a problem. Given the new ATT family plan pricing & per line $100 incentive, we'll probably be moving there sooner than I was planning, and ATT can supply a real nano SIM.

sicmadek

Nov 16, 2010
louisiana
Very few MVNOs like Straight Talk offer official nano SIMs for sale. You (or someone else) make them by cutting down a larger SIM, and that can be imperfect. Officially nano SIMs are also slightly thinner than other SIM sizes, so you have to carefully sand them down although many don't do that and find things work OK. I purchased a NET10 nano SIM from a reseller and have had similar problems although sometimes a reboot fixes it and sometimes a single reinsert of the SIM has fixed the problem (a couple times it's taken several tries). Until I run the phone using an official nano SIM I'm reluctant to say my phone has a problem. Given the new ATT family plan pricing & per line $100 incentive, we'll probably be moving there sooner than I was planning, and ATT can supply a real nano SIM.

I bought a straight talk activation kit which came with a nano Sim. Why wouldn't it be official?

larry62

Sep 1, 2012
I bought a straight talk activation kit which came with a nano Sim. Why wouldn't it be official?

Interesting... Was this a retail kit from Walmart? On their website, they only offer micro and full size. I even sent them an email asking if they could provide a nano SIM and got the answer back - no. They said that what you see on the website is all that is available. Of course they aren't known for the customer service expertise. If the activation kit came off ebay or from some 3rd party, they may have pre-cut it for you.

sicmadek

Nov 16, 2010
louisiana
Interesting... Was this a retail kit from Walmart? On their website, they only offer micro and full size. I even sent them an email asking if they could provide a nano SIM and got the answer back - no. They said that what you see on the website is all that is available. Of course they aren't known for the customer service expertise. If the activation kit came off ebay or from some 3rd party, they may have pre-cut it for you.

I purchased it in a Walmart store. Yes they do sell nano Sims on their website for $6.98.

treefrog20012003

Jan 21, 2011
Wooster
Google Pixel 3a XL
I activated my wife's Moto x with a nano SIM out of the kit just fine. Stupid question is did you set the apn settings? Maybe the SIM went bad. My kit was all messed up, I got two AT&T nano Sims and two tmo regular/micro Sims.

Sent from my MB886 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

larry62

Sep 1, 2012
I purchased it in a Walmart store. Yes they do sell nano Sims on their website for $6.98.

Doesn't show up when I go to either their site or walmart.com. Attached is a screen capture of what I get. Maybe it's zip code dependent, but that would be weird. Given they sell iphones it makes sense they should have them. Could you reference the URL where you've found them?

The screen capture is from this URL:http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpd...cards&zip=01776&market=GSM4&locale=en&lang=EN

Last edited:

sicmadek

Nov 16, 2010
louisiana
Doesn't show up when I go to either their site or walmart.com. Attached is a screen capture of what I get. Maybe it's zip code dependent, but that would be weird. Given they sell iphones it makes sense they should have them. Could you reference the URL where you've found them?

The screen capture is from this URL:http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpd...cards&zip=01776&market=GSM4&locale=en&lang=EN

I never search by zip code. When my brother ordered on he just had it shipped to our local store.

sicmadek

Nov 16, 2010
louisiana
I activated my wife's Moto x with a nano SIM out of the kit just fine. Stupid question is did you set the apn settings? Maybe the SIM went bad. My kit was all messed up, I got two AT&T nano Sims and two tmo regular/micro Sims.

Funny thing is when I called straight talk they said was a T-Mobile Sim. So basically they don't even know what the have. It was clearly blue and in the attached slot of the kit.

treefrog20012003

Jan 21, 2011
Wooster
Google Pixel 3a XL
That's no lie, they are completely clueless on what they sell. I told them of the packaging mistake and all they would do is sell me another card.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

If you look those are regular and micro, not nano. I only got a nano by buying the kit at Wal-Mart.