Marshmallow ADB Removed or Not?

Search This thread

Hazeno

Apr 28, 2010
I've seen some news spamming the internet that ADB was removed from marshmallow. Can anyone confirm or deny this for stock roms? I run CM13 so no stock roms to see. Wouldn't make sense for ADB to be removed.

Artemis-kun

Jan 29, 2012
What seems to have been removed is the on-device ADB binary. I discovered this myself, today, as I have an Asus TF300T which I regularly use with other Android tablets at work for debug purposes, that I over the weekend upgraded to 6.0. Much to my surprise, no longer am I able to adb from my tablet. I did some quick research on it, and found a few people posting about it, but no solutions as of yet.

Feb 10, 2016
USB Debugging

What seems to have been removed is the on-device ADB binary. I discovered this myself, today, as I have an Asus TF300T which I regularly use with other Android tablets at work for debug purposes, that I over the weekend upgraded to 6.0. Much to my surprise, no longer am I able to adb from my tablet. I did some quick research on it, and found a few people posting about it, but no solutions as of yet.
isnt there a usb debugging thing?

Last edited:

Artemis-kun

Jan 29, 2012
isnt there a usb debugging thing?

USB debugging is for connecting a device to another device, ie an Android device to a PC. It does not, however, give an Android device the ability to run ADB locally to connect to another Android device. My situation is, I have a TF300T which is a tablet with a dock, the dock has an actual USB port and functions like a USB OTG adapter. I used to be able to connect other Android devices to the USB port on my tablet and, using a terminal emulator, run ADB commands to the external Android devices. Since upgrading my tablet to 6.0 however, I discovered that I could no longer perform that task. Some quick Googling turned up a couple of places asking about this exact function, and someone on stackexchange posted a question about that exact issue, however they never got any response.
Why Google felt it was necessary to exclude the ADB binary from 6.0 is beyond me. Sure, it's something that is probably rarely used by users, but for those of us that -do- use it, it's not cool that it's suddenly gone.

I wonder if it wouldn't be trivial to extract the binary from a 5.0 device and see if it would just work under 6.0...

kip_dynamite

Nov 15, 2011
Hi
did you find a solution? I'm on CM13 would love to be able to use my tablet as adb client again...

Regards
Kip

kumar raja

Feb 6, 2015
Guys please help me how to get adb in the Android 6.0 and above I Googled about this but I didn't find it I hope here I can get the solution

renoldxavier

Sep 3, 2017
USB debugging is for connecting a device to another device, ie an Android device to a PC. It does not, however, give an Android device the ability to run ADB locally to connect to another Android device. My situation is, I have a TF300T which is a tablet with a dock, the dock has an actual USB port and functions like a USB OTG adapter. I used to be able to connect other Android devices to the USB port on my tablet and, using a terminal emulator, run ADB commands to the external Android devices. Since upgrading my tablet to 6.0 however, I discovered that I could no longer perform that task. Some quick Googling turned up a couple of places asking about this exact function, and someone on stackexchange posted a question about that exact issue, however they never got any response.
Why Google felt it was necessary to exclude the ADB binary from 6.0 is beyond me. Sure, it's something that is probably rarely used by users, but for those of us that -do- use it, it's not cool that it's suddenly gone.

I wonder if it wouldn't be trivial to extract the binary from a 5.0 device and see if it would just work under 6.0...

I suppose google removed adb from android, is probably because it poses security threats. I am doing a seminar on a paper published in 2017, called SMAShed. It can manipulate android sensor data with only internet permission. As a matter of fact, apps installed using adb are granted all permissions by the OS without notifying the user. You can find the demo at androidsmashed.wordpress.com/demos/ .

Top Liked Posts