[APP] SysLogcat [New!]

Search This thread

mtcarey

Sep 28, 2008
San Mateo, CA
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
SysLogcat sends your Android log entries to your Syslog (RSyslog, SyslogNG, etc.) server. Great for extended debugging in Android App and ROM development. Flexible filter options give you fine-grained control over output, and the built-in monitor lets you watch what's being sent in real time.

It's free!

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.systemscorps.syslogcat

Last edited:

misfit61871

Apr 10, 2011
Provo,UT
SysLogcat sends your Android log entries to your Syslog (RSyslog, SyslogNG, etc.) server. Great for extended debugging in Android App and ROM development. Flexible filter options give you fine-grained control over output, and the built-in monitor lets you watch what's being sent in real time.

It's free!

Ok, I'm new to this, how do I get this running? I installed the app and DL'd a syslog server program on my PC but I can't figure out how to get it working.

mtcarey

Sep 28, 2008
San Mateo, CA
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Ok, I'm new to this, how do I get this running? I installed the app and DL'd a syslog server program on my PC but I can't figure out how to get it working.
I'm assuming your PC is running Windows. Make sure your Syslog server is running and listening on UDP port 514 (the standard), and that you've opened that port in your Windows Firewall. If it's a Windows service, go into your Administrative Tools / Services snap-in and make sure it's started. Then put your PC's IP Address into SysLogcat and tap "Save and Start". Also, make sure you have your phone's Wifi turned on. If you have a custom ROM / kernel on your phone Android Logcat may be disabled by default, in which case you need to find out how to enable it. I know that for Talon you would enter "<path to logcat-enable>/logcat-enable" in an Android Terminal app (free on the Market).

Which Syslog server did you install on your PC? Cygwin / Syslog-ng?

Last edited:

mtcarey

Sep 28, 2008
San Mateo, CA
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
I'm assuming your PC is running Windows. Make sure your Syslog server is running and listening on UDP port 514 (the standard), and that you've opened that port in your Windows Firewall. If it's a Windows service, go into your Administrative Tools / Services snap-in and make sure it's started. Then put your PC's IP Address into SysLogcat and tap "Save and Start". Also, make sure you have your phone's Wifi turned on. If you have a custom ROM / kernel on your phone Android Logcat may be disabled by default, in which case you need to find out how to enable it. I know that for Talon you would enter "<path to logcat-enable>/logcat-enable" in an Android Terminal app (free on the Market).

I just installed Star Syslog on my Windows PC to verify that SysLogcat would work with Windows, and discovered that Windows does not respond to an ICMP Echo request by default, which I use to verify that the address entered in SysLogcat is reachable. I am adding an option to bypass this check, and will upload it to the Android Market shortly.

Sorry for the inconvenience! I only tested this with Linux previously. You can enable ICMP Echo in Windows by installing the "Simple TCPIP feature" under "Programs and Features / Turn Windows features on or off". You have to manually start the service unless you re-boot.

Last edited:
Reactions: misfit61871

mtcarey

Sep 28, 2008
San Mateo, CA
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
The one I installed is called solar winds logforwarder.
Well, that might be the problem... SolarWinds Log Forwarder sends Windows Event Log entries to a Syslog server. It is not a Syslog server in and of itself. In SysLogcat you want to enter the address of the endpoint Syslog server itself.

If you want to forward Windows Event Log entries, you might also check out Snare for Windows.

Last edited:

misfit61871

Apr 10, 2011
Provo,UT
Well, that might be the problem... SolarWinds Log Forwarder sends Windows Event Log entries to a Syslog server. It is not a Syslog server in and of itself. In SysLogcat you want to enter the address of the endpoint Syslog server itself.

If you want to forward Windows Event Log entries, you might also check out Snare for Windows.

No I don't need to send windows logs, just android. What server would to recommend and where can I DL it from?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

mtcarey

Sep 28, 2008
San Mateo, CA
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
No I don't need to send windows logs, just android. What server would to recommend and where can I DL it from?

For Windows, SolarWinds has the Kiwi Syslog Server (get the free version, not the evaluation version unless you want to pay for it). Star Syslog is another really basic one that's free. Cygwin / Syslog-ng works well, but is harder to set up and you would have to come up with a way to actually view the log. Beyond that I really don't know since I've always used a dedicated Linux box for that.

You could always use MS Hyper-V or Oracle Virtual Box to fire up a copy of Ubuntu on Windows and use that for Syslog.

Last edited:

misfit61871

Apr 10, 2011
Provo,UT
For Windows, SolarWinds has the Kiwi Syslog Server (get the free version, not the evaluation version unless you want to pay for it). Star Syslog is another really basic one that's free. Cygwin / Syslog-ng works well, but is harder to set up and you would have to come up with a way to actually view the log. Beyond that I really don't know since I've always used a dedicated Linux box for that.

You could always use MS Hyper-V or Oracle Virtual Box to fire up a copy of Ubuntu on Windows and use that for Syslog.

Ok thanks dude!

misfit61871

Apr 10, 2011
Provo,UT

Ya, I decided I would just install ubuntu and run it alongside windows. Any pointers on setting it up with ubuntu?

mtcarey

Sep 28, 2008
San Mateo, CA
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Ya, I decided I would just install ubuntu and run it alongside windows. Any pointers on setting it up with ubuntu?
I'm pretty sure Ubuntu installs rsyslog daemon by default, but if not you can install it from the Synaptic Package Manager gui. Default settings are fine. You also might want a gui-based log viewer, so install "Log File Viewer" (or one of the others) from Synaptic if it's not already installed.

misfit61871

Apr 10, 2011
Provo,UT
I'm pretty sure Ubuntu installs rsyslog daemon by default, but if not you can install it from the Synaptic Package Manager gui. Default settings are fine. You also might want a gui-based log viewer, so install "Log File Viewer" (or one of the others) from Synaptic if it's not already installed.

Cool thanks, I'll check into that.

stm999999999

Jul 31, 2010
Does anybody has this problem, too?

after some minutes my Kiwi Syslog Server does not receive any message anymore.

I have to push "save and restart" in syslogcat to get new messages.

I do not have any auto taskkiller or so on my desire. The android 2.3.4 built in task manager still shows Syslogcat.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It's free!

I just installed Star Syslog on my Windows PC to verify that SysLogcat would work with Windows, and discovered that Windows does not respond to an ICMP Echo request by default, which I use to verify that the address entered in SysLogcat is reachable. I am adding an option to bypass this check, and will upload it to the Android Market shortly.

Sorry for the inconvenience! I only tested this with Linux previously. You can enable ICMP Echo in Windows by installing the "Simple TCPIP feature" under "Programs and Features / Turn Windows features on or off". You have to manually start the service unless you re-boot.
    The one I installed is called solar winds logforwarder.