[Q] MK2 Modem FAIL'S on Odin

Search This thread

Thibor69

I am having trouble updating my modem to the new MK2. I have tried several times following the instructions
found in various places here on XDA, but nothing works.

Custom ROM: DARTHSTALKER S4 v.X1 (MK2 & MDL Compliant)
Android version: 4.3 <<<<---- Is this a problem Im on 4.3 ?
Baseband: M919UVUAMDL
Kernel: 3.4.0-g4fe9989-dirty.joy23 #1
SELinux status: Permissive

This is what I am doing to try to update modem.....

1. Open Odin on PC (Mobile Odin doesn't run on G4 T-Mobile.LTE USA)
2. Uncheck Auto-Reboot / Load Modem.bin in the phone tab
3. Boot the phone into Download Mode via power & vol down
4. Plug USB into PC and PHONE
5. I see the BIG GREEN DROID

In the upper left corner of the phone, in tiny font it says:
  • PRODUCT NAME: SGH-M919
  • CURRENT BINARY: Custom
  • SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
  • CSB-OEM_CONFIG_LSB: 0x30
  • WRITE PROTECTION: Enable

Back on Odin now.....
The ID:COM tab in Odin turns blue and looks good to go. I click on "START".
The bar above ID:COM slowly fills with green. BUT when it is finished, the box above the ID:COM
turns RED and says FAILED !!.

### SEE PICTURE BELLOW ###

Back on the phone the tiny print in the upper left corner now says:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-M919
CURRENT BINARY: Custom
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
CSB-OEM_CONFIG_LSB: 0x30
WRITE PROTECTION: Enable

START [224,1440]
SECURE CHECK FAIL : NDN

Why is it failing ??? Is it because I am on a 4.3 ROM ?
Please help me ....

Attachments

• 2014-01-11_221713.jpg
    2014-01-11_221713.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 646

Vigz

Sep 16, 2012
Follow this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2544612

There might be something wrong with the file. The bootloader is not accepting it due to failed authentication. Be aware that when updating, you won't see the baseband version as UVUEMK2. You'll just see the old MDL one. This is because you can only update to one of the modem files without any issues.

Last edited:

alextop30

May 13, 2012
Windy City of Chicago
I have absolutely the same problem - Nothing helps - I have followed the link that was pasted in the second comment and it simply does not work. Once it fails on my phone I have to try to flash stock 4.2.2 to unbrick my device. I am following all of the posts hopefully some new way to update the modems comes out so that I do not have to lock my bootloader down.

ShinySide

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 30, 2013
IHB
Are you trying to just flash the bin file not tarred?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I am having trouble updating my modem to the new MK2. I have tried several times following the instructions

Back on Odin now.....
The bar above ID:COM slowly fills with green. BUT when it is finished, the box above the ID:COM

ODIN MODE

START [224,1440]

Please help me ....

Please NOTE: the following procedure is NOT valid for AOSP/AOKP/KitKat/CM roms.
The following instructions are exclusively for those people who are using the
Tmobile M919 stock based Jellybean 4.2.2 or 4.3 Touchwiz custom roms.

Follow the easy step by step instructions to a "T".

You can Odin flash the MK2 modem.bin while on any Jellybean Touchwiz 4.2.2 based rom
or ODIN flash it after flashing the Infamous v9, Wicked v9.1, or any M919 MK2 JB based
Touchwiz 4.3 roms. Either way it makes no difference.

What does make a difference is to follow this step by step exactly.

First download the MK2 modem.bin from the link below:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/1gsjokadys4l89x/modem.bin

#1: Manually power down the phone by using the power button only.
#2: Start ODIN and put the MODEM.BIN file into ODIN'S PHONE slot.
#3: Put the phone into download mode using the volume down and power button.
#4: Plug the USB cable into the phone and into the computer.
#5: Make sure that ODIN'S [COM:xx] lights up.
#6: Un-Check the Auto-Reboot in ODIN and click START.
#7: After its done flashing unplug the usb cable.
#8: Manually power off the phone by using the power button only.
#9: Wait 30 or so seconds before you power on the phone.

After doing this the MK2 baseband should show up in About Device.

Once it displays MK2 you can flash any MK2 JB TW 4.3 custom cwm/twrp
zip file roms unless you have already flashed it before flashing the modem.bin
in which case you are done and ready to use the phone.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Quickvic30

Thibor69

You can Odin flash the MK2 modem.bin while on any Jellybean Touchwiz 4.2.2 based rom
or ODIN flash it after flashing the Infamous v9, Wicked v9.1, or any M919 MK2 JB based

Good luck!

Hi Misterjunky
I do thank you for the walk through .... but unless I am really blind, I am pretty sure as per my
OP that I did follow your steps to a "T" :angel:. If I missed something, PLEASE point it out for me ??
Everything goes just fine until Odin finishes the flash of the modem.bin and says FAILED.

I think the only difference is that I am running a different ROM than you mention, but you do say:

1) You can Odin flash the MK2 modem.bin while on any Jellybean Touchwiz 4.2.2 based rom
2) Or ODIN flash it after flashing the Infamous v9, Wicked v9.1, or any M919 MK2 JB based

Now since I am running DARTHSTALKER S4 ☆ | VERSION X1 | Aroma | Multi-Carrier | 12.29.2013
( This ROM Is Based On The T-Mobile UVUEMK2 4.3 Base )

Option #1) does not apply to me ... BUT ... option #2) DOES apply to me and this ROM since DarthStalker is 4.3 based.
So I should be able to just Odin flash Modem.bin via your steps correct ?? Or am I wrong ?

Please help me ... my OCD is in overdrive atm :eek:

Thanks guys !!

PS: Shinyside - Yes I am only flashing Modem.bin since I am already on a MDL there is no need to flash the *MDL.tar.MD5

PSS: Vigs - you wrote "There might be something wrong with the file. The bootloader is not accepting it due to failed
authentication. Be aware that when updating, you won't see the baseband version as UVUEMK2. You'll see the old MDL one.

Yes I have tried the Modem.bin file from 3 sources and the file
is fine. I know I wont see baseband as MK2, but that's not my issue mate. The flash FAILS. :(

ShinySide

Nov 30, 2013
IHB

Hi Misterjunky
I do thank you for the walk through .... but unless I am really blind, I am pretty sure as per my
OP that I did follow your steps to a "T" :angel:. If I missed something, PLEASE point it out for me ??
Everything goes just fine until Odin finishes the flash of the modem.bin and says FAILED.

I think the only difference is that I am running a different ROM than you mention, but you do say:

1) You can Odin flash the MK2 modem.bin while on any Jellybean Touchwiz 4.2.2 based rom
2) Or ODIN flash it after flashing the Infamous v9, Wicked v9.1, or any M919 MK2 JB based

Now since I am running DARTHSTALKER S4 ☆ | VERSION X1 | Aroma | Multi-Carrier | 12.29.2013

Option #1) does not apply to me ... BUT ... option #2) DOES apply to me and this ROM since DarthStalker is 4.3 based.
So I should be able to just Odin flash Modem.bin via your steps correct ?? Or am I wrong ?

Please help me ... my OCD is in overdrive atm :eek:

Thanks guys !!

PS: Shinyside - Yes I am only flashing Modem.bin since I am already on a MDL there is no need to flash the *MDL.tar.MD5

PSS: Vigs - you wrote "There might be something wrong with the file. The bootloader is not accepting it due to failed
authentication. Be aware that when updating, you won't see the baseband version as UVUEMK2. You'll see the old MDL one.

Yes I have tried the Modem.bin file from 3 sources and the file
is fine. I know I wont see baseband as MK2, but that's not my issue mate. The flash FAILS. :(

I know you're only flashing the modem. But is it just in is raw form or is it tarred? The modem bin needs to be tarred. And from your screen shot, because I can't remember off the top of my head if Odin shows the tar ext when loaded, it looks like you are just loading the actual bin file and not tarred

alextop30

May 13, 2012
Windy City of Chicago
Since I have the exact problem I thought I'd chime in too. The problem seems to be in the response from the bootloader. That is the step which my flashing stops as well. I have followed all steps and in all the posts very carefully and it is simply not the problem.

I am just wondering what the response from the bootloader have to be for that step to be completed successfully!

I am on stock 4.2.2 I only have it rooted so still looking for some solution for the modem to be able to update 4.3 as the op!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ShinySide

Nov 30, 2013
IHB
Since I have the exact problem I thought I'd chime in too. The problem seems to be in the response from the bootloader. That is the step which my flashing stops as well. I have followed all steps and in all the posts very carefully and it is simply not the problem.

I am just wondering what the response from the bootloader have to be for that step to be completed successfully!

I am on stock 4.2.2 I only have it rooted so still looking for some solution for the modem to be able to update 4.3 as the op!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Try mobile Odin. I was able to bypass the checks and flash i9505 modems a while back.

re: TAR files.

I know you're only flashing the modem. But is it just in is raw form or is it tarred? The modem bin needs to be tarred. And from your screen shot, because I can't remember off the top of my head if Odin shows the tar ext when loaded, it looks like you are just loading the actual bin file and not tarred

The actual MODEM.BIN file is what needs to be loaded into Odin's "PHONE" tab/slot.

It should also work if it's a TAR file but it's best to flash it as modem.bin, that way there
is less of a chance of having a TAR file which might be or become corrupt.

The nice part about TAR or ZIP files is that we can flash multiple files in one flashing.
But if there is only one file which needs to be flashed (modem.bin) it's always best just
to flash the one file without adding compression or other changes to it.

TAR files are similar to ZIP files, they compress whatever files are inside of them
to a smaller size, but in doing so there is more of a chance that the file inside the TAR
or ZIP getting corrupted.

That's why I simply posted the modem.bin to be used by Odin, less chance of problems.

Last edited:

Thibor69

Hey MisterJunky,

Yes I was pretty certain that modem.bin does NOT need to be tar'd or zipped, so you also confirmed this.
Well that then leads us to a DEAD END. Since I am doing it EXACTLY the way you discribe it (with Modem.bin)
I don't know what else could be wrong. You quoted / replied to Shinyside's theory which is fine, but didn't
really reply to my thoughts .... I was wondering if it could be a issue with my ROM which is a 4.3 ROM. Although I think it doesn't matter .. ?

Thibor69 said:

ALSO ... just so you all know. Mobile Odin DOES NOT RUN on a USA T-Mobile Galaxy 4 phone. Mobile Odin has documented this fact.

Any other suggestions guys ????

Thank you

The actual MODEM.BIN file is what needs to be loaded into Odin's "PHONE" tab/slot.

It should also work if it's a TAR file but it's best to flash it as modem.bin, that way there
is less of a chance of having a TAR file which might be or become corrupt.

The nice part about TAR or ZIP files is that we can flash multiple files in one flashing.
But if there is only one file which needs to be flashed (modem.bin) it's always best just
to flash the one file without adding compression or other changes to it.

TAR files are similar to ZIP files, they compress whatever files are inside of them
to a smaller size, but in doing so there is more of a chance that the file inside the TAR
or ZIP getting corrupted.

That's why I simply posted the modem.bin to be used by Odin, less chance of problems.

ShinySide

Nov 30, 2013
IHB
Yeah I've never heard of anyone not taring items for Odin. Weird but if it works it works.

---------- Post added at 04:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 AM ----------

Hey MisterJunky,

Yes I was pretty certain that modem.bin does NOT need to be tar'd or zipped, so you also confirmed this.
Well that then leads us to a DEAD END. Since I am doing it EXACTLY the way you discribe it (with Modem.bin)
I don't know what else could be wrong. You quoted / replied to Shinyside's theory which is fine, but didn't
really reply to my thoughts .... I was wondering if it could be a issue with my ROM which is a 4.3 ROM. Although I think it doesn't matter .. ?

ALSO ... just so you all know. Mobile Odin DOES NOT RUN on a USA T-Mobile Galaxy 4 phone. Mobile Odin has documented this fact.

Thank you

It's your bootloader rejecting it.

Do you have mobile Odin? It actually skips or over rides or doesn't get stopped by the bootloader verification.

shiamatsu

Nov 13, 2013
Cloudsdale

Back on Odin now.....

ODIN MODE

START [224,1440]

Please help me ....

I've already posted a possible solution on my thread, but just in case, I'll repost it here: "Hm...I'm going to guess that it's maybe the Odin version that's affecting it? Here, try flashing using this version of Odin here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1ap3sg0e2215ga6/Odin3.rar."

Last edited:

alextop30

May 13, 2012
Windy City of Chicago

Hey MisterJunky,

Thank you

I just checked the supported devices of Mobile Odin in the thread by Chainfire and it seems that the SGH - M919 - which is the T-Mobile variant of the galaxy s4 is supported http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1347899

Can you please link the documentation that you cannot flash the modem using that tool - I just want to read it before I go flash something again and end up softbricking my device.

As for my comment that pertains to the rest of the post - I just cannot understand how it worked for so many people using Odin from your computer and now it seems like it just does not flash for anyone that has recently attempted to update the modems!

re: try this.

I just checked the supported devices of Mobile Odin in the thread by Chainfire and it seems that the SGH - M919 - which is the T-Mobile variant of the galaxy s4 is supported http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1347899

Can you please link the documentation that you cannot flash the modem using that tool - I just want to read it before I go flash something again and end up softbricking my device.

As for my comment that pertains to the rest of the post - I just cannot understand how it worked for so many people using Odin from your computer and now it seems like it just does not flash for anyone that has recently attempted to update the modems!

Why not try this, but before you do if you have a working rom in your phone right now
be sure to make a nandroid backup in recovery before trying the following:

Go into recovery and do a "Factory Reset" and wipe data/cache/system/dalvik cache.
Then shut down the phone, wait 20 seconds or so after shutting it down and boot back
up into Download mode and try Odin again...............

There is a 50/50 chance it will work.

Good luck!

Thibor69

Huh .... I bought the app last night and returned for a refund, BUT this looks like a newer version then the one I had... allthough the update of Mobile Odin is from Nov. it looks like a different version ... how can that be. ANyway I will try this version tomorrow and let you know if it fails .... Thank you !!

Hi Shiamatsu -
Thank you for the link to that version of PC Odin. I will try that in the morning also.
I follow your post ... sorry I missed that !! Thanks

Hi MisterJunky -
Thanks for the idea. I will try that as my final attempt if the above 2 things dont work out for me.

Thanks all !!!!

Thibor69

Well I guess it is not the phone that wont run Odin, but seems that Odin Mobile Pro does not like Android 4.3

### SEE PICTURE ####

I am now searching for a FlashKernel for this phone.

Need FlashKernel for T-Mobile SGH-M919 running on Android 4.3 ROM. If you happen to find one, please share !!!! :eek:)

ThaNKS

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-13-10-41-11.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-13-10-41-11.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Thibor69

I've already posted a possible solution on my thread, but just in case, I'll repost it here: "Hm...I'm going to guess that it's maybe the Odin version that's affecting it? Here, try flashing using this version of Odin here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1ap3sg0e2215ga6/Odin3.rar."

Thanks but sorry it is still a NO GO with that version of ODIN.

Attachments

• 2014-01-13_115403.jpg
    2014-01-13_115403.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 36

Vigz

Sep 16, 2012
Alright before flashing the MK2 modem via Download Mode, try resetting the binary counter using an app called Triangle Away (its located here on xda developers). Once you install the app, please follow the instructions given. You need to be on a TouchWiz rom with a stock Samsung kernel (best way is to Odin to stock 4.2.2 MDL). This is something that I read from Chainfire's Google+ page which may be the solution:

"Still, the binary status needs to be official and the counter 0 on recent bootloaders if you want to do fun things like flash modems with for example Mobile ODIN (update coming as well). Otherwise the bootloader will mark those regions of the flash storage as protected, and they cannot be written to (causing freezes and whatnot)."

Give it a try and see what happens. The 4.2.2 bootloader isn't recent. But, who knows?

Last edited:
Reactions: Thibor69

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Back on Odin now.....

ODIN MODE

START [224,1440]

Please help me ....

Good luck!
    Alright before flashing the MK2 modem via Download Mode, try resetting the binary counter using an app called Triangle Away (its located here on xda developers). Once you install the app, please follow the instructions given. You need to be on a TouchWiz rom with a stock Samsung kernel (best way is to Odin to stock 4.2.2 MDL). This is something that I read from Chainfire's Google+ page which may be the solution:

"Still, the binary status needs to be official and the counter 0 on recent bootloaders if you want to do fun things like flash modems with for example Mobile ODIN (update coming as well). Otherwise the bootloader will mark those regions of the flash storage as protected, and they cannot be written to (causing freezes and whatnot)."

Give it a try and see what happens. The 4.2.2 bootloader isn't recent. But, who knows?