[APP][2.2+] GTA3 Graphical Settings + Launcher [v1.4]

Search This thread

hacksteak25

Apr 28, 2011
Just a small quick and dirty app that let you change some of the GTA3 default settings.

Original settings are backed up to (GTA3 Folder)/files/GTA3/gta3.gtsettingslauncher.set. If the app completely fails or you want to use the original settings after uninstalling the app, just copy this file back to (...)/gta3.set.

When your gta3.set is missing, please start the game and go to the display options. Change some settings and then hit "restore defaults". Then try again and start the settings app.
If there is still no settings file, get one from this forum (e.g. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20950484&postcount=29) or google. After launching the game with the downloaded settings file go to the in-game display settings an click "restore defaults". That should fix some problems with screen width and height.

Available Settings:

• Shadows: On/Off
  • Lighting: On/Off
  • Resolution: High/Low
  • Rendering Distance: 18 Steps
  • Blur: On/Off *

* Blur is not working for me. The setting is always disabled when starting the game. Maybe it is working on other devices (Tegra?).

Currently only tested on I9100 with GTA3 German. Please let me know if it is working or not.

Changes:

2012/01/03 - v1.4:
  • catch more exceptions
  • changed launcher, it now hopefully will find the target more often

2012/01/02 - v1.3:
  • added another external_sd path (now searching in "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd/Android/data/", "/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/", "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd/data/" for package)

2011/12/31 - v1.2:
  • added launcher icon
  • added blur setting (which might have no effect)
  • changed namespace - please uninstall the old version manually. I used an example package found on the internet as skeleton and forgot to change it, sry :)

2011/12/29 - v1.1:
  • added external_sd to search path

Make sure to download the LATEST version.

Attachments

• 20111231_GTSettingsLauncher_v1.2.apk
    20.1 KB · Views: 25,636
  • 20120102_GTSettingsLauncher_v1.3.apk
    20.1 KB · Views: 8,715
  • 20120103_GTSettingsLauncher_v1.4.apk
    23.3 KB · Views: 38,778
Last edited:
J

jikobutsu

Thankyou excellent work dev,works great.

My device is zte skate
And at 900Mhz on Atomic 2.5 rom,
Chainfire reduce texture size and quality,
With this app you have created,
It is running good now.

Last edited:

kxlling

Mar 28, 2009
Las Vegas
I just get instant force close when trying to run this. I was looking to try the lower resolution for performance increase.

I'm using a rooted vibrant (t959), with a custom 2.2 rom

Ditti4

Jul 4, 2011
Works perfect on the HTC Desire HD! Thank you! :>

Sent from my loved HTC Desire HD@CM7. <3

TamCore

Jul 8, 2010
Düsseldorf
tamcore.eu
Works perfect on my Sensation! Thank you!
I've attached two screenshots. One with defaultsettings and one with tweaked settings.

Attachments

• GTA3_defaults.jpg
    GTA3_defaults.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 2,650
  • GTA3_highres_lights_shadows.jpg
    GTA3_highres_lights_shadows.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 2,635

arnookie

Jun 14, 2009
I get forced close also on zte blade (orange san fran)
But the game runs any ideas?

arnookie

Jun 14, 2009
It crashes just after starting app.

I fixed it I had to download and copy the file called gta3.set into the correct folder as no file of that name was in the data folder. After I did that the patcher worked fine. :O)
Seems some phones don't create the gta3.set file. Maybe you could include one with the patch or make it auto generate one for people like me. Thanks for the patch. ;0)

sharkonland

Jul 15, 2010
NYC
Awesome app. I was wondering though, is it possible to integrate more features/mods in the app?

Theres a post on the main page of xda showing mods, also another thread in this same section for gta mods like lamborghini/audi/VW cars, coca cola machines, better texture packs, etc. That would be crazy if you can add those features so we have a all in one mod app for the gta game and can apply them without much messing around. Hopefully that would even help more people add more content to make the game experience even better.;)

Last edited:

philburkhardt

Aug 30, 2010
Seattle Basestar
This worked great on my Asus Transformer!

I was surprised to find out the default settings were set so low. Even on my Tegra 2 device. It looks SO much better now.

fusermarucs

Dec 22, 2011
Thanks for this - works great on my Desire Hd and Haipad M7S - draw distance on low means I can have the effects on and it runs fine on the Desire!

GAME ON

Jul 28, 2011
where should i paste this file?anywhere in my sdcard?anyone?plss..

edit: got it work..thanks OP.. ^^

Last edited:

hacksteak25

Apr 28, 2011
Added a launcher icon and the blur setting. Bluring is not working on my i9100 (it is just disabled by the game while launching), but maybe it will work on other chipsets.

Download is appended to first post.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just a small quick and dirty app that let you change some of the GTA3 default settings.

Original settings are backed up to (GTA3 Folder)/files/GTA3/gta3.gtsettingslauncher.set. If the app completely fails or you want to use the original settings after uninstalling the app, just copy this file back to (...)/gta3.set.

When your gta3.set is missing, please start the game and go to the display options. Change some settings and then hit "restore defaults". Then try again and start the settings app.
    If there is still no settings file, get one from this forum (e.g. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20950484&postcount=29) or google. After launching the game with the downloaded settings file go to the in-game display settings an click "restore defaults". That should fix some problems with screen width and height.

Available Settings:

• Shadows: On/Off
    • Lighting: On/Off
    • Resolution: High/Low
    • Rendering Distance: 18 Steps
    • Blur: On/Off *

* Blur is not working for me. The setting is always disabled when starting the game. Maybe it is working on other devices (Tegra?).

Currently only tested on I9100 with GTA3 German. Please let me know if it is working or not.

Changes:

2012/01/03 - v1.4:
    • catch more exceptions
    • changed launcher, it now hopefully will find the target more often

2012/01/02 - v1.3:
    • added another external_sd path (now searching in "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd/Android/data/", "/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/", "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd/data/" for package)

2011/12/31 - v1.2:
    • added launcher icon
    • added blur setting (which might have no effect)
    • changed namespace - please uninstall the old version manually. I used an example package found on the internet as skeleton and forgot to change it, sry :)

2011/12/29 - v1.1:
    • added external_sd to search path

Make sure to download the LATEST version.
    Force closing on app start, can't see anything. :confused:

Looking forward to using it!

Hi. Get this file: http://www.mediafire.com/?myzzo2n4yzd

Extract the gta3.set file from inside and copy it to your com.rockstar.gta3/files/gta3 folder. This will make the app start up :)
    I just get instant force close when trying to run this. I was looking to try the lower resolution for performance increase.

I'm using a rooted vibrant (t959), with a custom 2.2 rom

Can you please post the full path to the original gta3.set? I think the path can't be found.
    Added "external_sd" to search path. Please try again with the new version.
    @Sarkie: Thanks for the link. I tried the settings, but I see no changes in-game.

@kenkiller: thx, I added path, please use version 1.3

@addicted2088: Do you have any logcat output or something like that? Which version are you using (gta3, gta3ger, gta3aut... )?