[GUIDE] ICS 4.0 for Galaxy R / Z i9103 [FLASH] [ROOT] [CHANGELOG] [LEAKED RELEASE]

Search This thread

'cooleagle'

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 19, 2012
GALAXY 'ROYALE' Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 UPDATE:

- ICS 4.0.4 update for Gallery R i9103 has been leaked in a funny & very unusual way by Samsung's service center when a fellow XDA member Machram got his mobile back from the service center. But nevertheless we're thankful to them for at least releasing the update in the given time frame though it was a bit late when compared to the time frame of Galaxy S2 & Note's ICS updates.

Swedish ICS CWM backup (Multiple Language options in the ROM):

CAUTION ! There are unconfirmed reports of two users being affected by a faulty eMMC brickbug. You can flash ICS but there's always a risk of you having a faulty emmc chip. If you're already on ICS / want to flash ICS then just DO NOT perform the following operations after flashing ICS 4.0.4:
  • Wipe data / cache using CWM / TWRP
  • Factory reset your mobile after flashing ICS 4.0.4
  • Resoring a Nandroid backup / Deleting large files while using ICS 4.0.4 kernel.
  • Any other operation which could invoke recovery to wipe cache / dalvik cache / any other [/data] partition related operation.
However if you want to Go back to GB then just flash your stock 2.3.x ROM directly via Odin & don't perform wipe operations via CWM before it.

The information in this post is provided as it is without any option for claims, your device may brick for which I won't be responsible.

Download links:
HOW To Flash ICS 4.0.4 (Newbie Friendly):

• Start downloading the RAR archive from the above links.
  • Just as a precaution to confirm that your eMMC chip is not faulty, run the eMMC BrickBug app. Get the app from Play Store: eMMC Brickbug. After you Run the app you'll get the following screen.
    728f35a8-8a74-3c4f.jpg
  • Flash CWM from the Galaxy R Dev Section. (Skip if you already have CWM)
  • Make a backup of your current system using CWM. Boot into CWM => Select Backup and Restore => Make a backup of your current system.
  • Clear the cache & dalvik cache.
  • (Optional but recommended)Factory reset your SGR to avoid any problems related to incompatible apps & Force closing of apps.
  • Extract the RAR archive using WinRAR / 7 Zip & copy the extracted files into the external memory card in the following directory:
    Code:
    [B]/sdcard/external_sd/clockworkmod/backup/[/B]
  • Boot into CWM recovery & go to Advanced => Unmount system => Mount system.
  • In CWM => Select Backup and Restore => Restore the ICS 4.0.4 CWM files.
  • Report here how it goes. :)
How to root ICS 4.0.4:
We don't know how to reset the counter for this new ICS bootloader so keep that in mind.

1. Copy 'RootRecovery_v4' to the sdcard / external card
  2. Boot into CWM recovery & go to Advanced => Unmount system => Mount system.
  3. Choose Install zip from sdcard
  4. Choose zip from sdcard
  5. Select RootRecovery_v4.zip from where you copied it
  6. Choose Install RootRecovey_v4.zip
  7. Restart phone
Thnx to abrahamyan-ha (XDA member) & lipton_01 (4pda.ru)
Download RootRecovery_v4.zip

Changelog in ICS 4.0.4 over GB:

This Changelog is based on ICS build 4.0.3 of S2 9100 so there could be some differences. ;)
  • Basic Changelog can be found here: Introducing ICS 4.0
  • To unlock slide lock, touch and drag to outside of circle.
  • Screen Capture: Press and hold POWER + HOME (But it should have been Volume Down + Power as it is normally in ICS.)
  • Sub menu for Menu Button is changed from Grid format to List format.
  • Keyboard Icon is added in indicator bar to change the keyboard being used.
  • 'Restart' option is added when you press power button for a few seconds.
  • If you press “Home” button for a few seconds, recent applications are displayed. If you want to remove / close an application in recent list, select and drag to right or left side.
  • Tap on the Share icon to enable selected texts in the default browser to be used by other applications e.g. Messaging.
  • Favorites now shown as a Thumbnail in the Contacts app with Contact name added in the thumbnail view.
  • 'Unknown sources' option is moved from Applications to Security.
  • Settings are categorized (Wireless & networks, Device, Personal, System), Wi-Fi/BT ON/OFF buttons are displayed instead of 'Wireless & Networks', Data usage function added.
  • Improved increased 'Developer Options.'
728f35a8-86d5-4832.jpg

Finally we are receiving positive news on the release of ICS on Galaxy R i9103 from different divisions of Samsung from different parts the world. :D

I have started this new thread as the purpose of the last thread was to get some concrete info from Samsung whether Galaxy R will get an ICS update or not, which stands resolved.

But now its a question of when & not if so we'll keep a close watch on the developments here. :)

The tentative dates given by various regional departments of Samsung:

- Germany: Scheduled for July, should be available by August.

- Sweden: Between July 23, 2012 - August 5, 2012

- India: Galaxy R will also be getting ICS upgrade very soon. Stay tuned!(No dates or even month. :()

Sources:
- Germany:
Samsung Germany replied my first question on their facebook-wall(dunno why they answered my second one first)

"Hallo * , geplant ist das Update auf ICS für das Galaxy R noch für Juli. Spätestens im August sollte es verfügbar sein."
Translated:
"Hello * , the update to ICS for Galaxy R is scheduled for July. At the latest, in August it should be available

Hope Samsung Germany is better informed than other divisons :D
- Sweden
1. http://www.facebook.com/samsungsverige/app_208195102528120

2. (Referred to as Galaxy Z in the article): http://translate.google.com/transla...service/Mobilguider/Android-40-uppdateringar/

- India:

1. Q. https://twitter.com/prachetaa/status/214933194158514178/photo/1
ANS. https://twitter.com/Samsung_India/status/215024751268208640

2. https://www.facebook.com/samsung.mobiles/posts/10150962668939374

[FONT=&quot]If any of the above helped please don't forget to appreciate by hitting 'Thanks'.

REGARDS,
[/FONT]‘cooleagle’

Last edited:

chandrus1983

Jan 18, 2012
Somewhere In India
Samsung india told first :D
that it will be getting ICS soon, stay tuned !!

then came from germany

and now from swedan.

Galaxy R is no longer unwanted kid for samsung.
Phewwwwww :D

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

I think thread should be Stickied, what say ???

cooleagle, you can also add this post as reference.
https://www.facebook.com/samsung.mobiles/posts/10150962668939374

Last edited:
Reactions: nithin2e

'cooleagle'

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 19, 2012
^ Yep, Taiwan & HK were the first / target markets for Galaxy R & they just sold them in low quantities in other markets. So it would make sense if it releases there first.

F3niX

Jul 9, 2010
Hyderabad
Taiwan and HK are also better firmwares
They do intensive testing and Updates we get from them are of Superior performance
Check: ZSKK5,ZSLE5,ZSLE6.
While In India, they are more like beta Releases. DDKH4,XWKI5
In Austria, with 3 branding, the firmwares are much better than Indian and on Par with HK, Like XWLA4
Even China is good, ZCLA1.

These are from everyone's observation

Reactions: sarun_biotech

D™

May 23, 2012
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ Watching You @!@
They do intensive testing and Updates we get from them are of Superior performance
In Austria, with 3 branding, the firmwares are much better than Indian and on Par with HK, Like XWLA4

hmmm..corruption there..hahahaha:p

F3niX

Jul 9, 2010
Hyderabad
lol. Maybe.
I Only Need 1 Stable ICS build for our R.
Then, surely we can update it and as even Epsylon3 is gearing up for Dev, we will get a 100% working CM9 Soon after

chandrus1983

Jan 18, 2012
Somewhere In India
Lets wait for a month :D

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Yeah, Taiwan and HK are better, HK ZSLE6 is out, will flash it now :cool:

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

normally Taiwan / Hong Kong will get first
but who knows just wait and see

Yeah, Taiwan and HK are better, HK ZSLE6 is out, will flash it now

ofabhishek

May 2, 2011
BGP
So... 1 month wait..:p
tired begging ics frm samsung

Learned a lesson...my nxt phone will have keylime pie(if named so) out of the box..:cool:

Sent from 2.3.5

chandrus1983

Jan 18, 2012
Somewhere In India
I think next time while purchasing the mobile of samsung, we must ask samsung is it popular in your damn list, so that we can get update..:mad:

or we should buy High End phones, like S3... above 35k ones

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

I said fine Tab's with tegra 2 soon get ICS, means and we will :D

yeah buddy, Tegra 2 Tab is getting ICS means, phone with Tegra 2 will also get soon :D

'cooleagle'

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 19, 2012
Any news on the release dates from Samsung Taiwan or Samsung HK ?

Are there any Taiwanese/HongKong users who could ask them on Twitter / Facebook & post their replies here ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GALAXY 'ROYALE' Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 UPDATE:

- ICS 4.0.4 update for Gallery R i9103 has been leaked in a funny & very unusual way by Samsung's service center when a fellow XDA member Machram got his mobile back from the service center. But nevertheless we're thankful to them for at least releasing the update in the given time frame though it was a bit late when compared to the time frame of Galaxy S2 & Note's ICS updates.

Swedish ICS CWM backup (Multiple Language options in the ROM):

CAUTION ! There are unconfirmed reports of two users being affected by a faulty eMMC brickbug. You can flash ICS but there's always a risk of you having a faulty emmc chip. If you're already on ICS / want to flash ICS then just DO NOT perform the following operations after flashing ICS 4.0.4:
    • Wipe data / cache using CWM / TWRP
    • Factory reset your mobile after flashing ICS 4.0.4
    • Resoring a Nandroid backup / Deleting large files while using ICS 4.0.4 kernel.
    • Any other operation which could invoke recovery to wipe cache / dalvik cache / any other [/data] partition related operation.
    However if you want to Go back to GB then just flash your stock 2.3.x ROM directly via Odin & don't perform wipe operations via CWM before it.

The information in this post is provided as it is without any option for claims, your device may brick for which I won't be responsible.

Download links:
    HOW To Flash ICS 4.0.4 (Newbie Friendly):

• Start downloading the RAR archive from the above links.
    • Just as a precaution to confirm that your eMMC chip is not faulty, run the eMMC BrickBug app. Get the app from Play Store: eMMC Brickbug. After you Run the app you'll get the following screen.
      728f35a8-8a74-3c4f.jpg
    • Flash CWM from the Galaxy R Dev Section. (Skip if you already have CWM)
    • Make a backup of your current system using CWM. Boot into CWM => Select Backup and Restore => Make a backup of your current system.
    • Clear the cache & dalvik cache.
    • (Optional but recommended)Factory reset your SGR to avoid any problems related to incompatible apps & Force closing of apps.
    • Extract the RAR archive using WinRAR / 7 Zip & copy the extracted files into the external memory card in the following directory:
      Code:
      [B]/sdcard/external_sd/clockworkmod/backup/[/B]
    • Boot into CWM recovery & go to Advanced => Unmount system => Mount system.
    • In CWM => Select Backup and Restore => Restore the ICS 4.0.4 CWM files.
    • Report here how it goes. :)
    How to root ICS 4.0.4:
    We don't know how to reset the counter for this new ICS bootloader so keep that in mind.

1. Copy 'RootRecovery_v4' to the sdcard / external card
    2. Boot into CWM recovery & go to Advanced => Unmount system => Mount system.
    3. Choose Install zip from sdcard
    4. Choose zip from sdcard
    5. Select RootRecovery_v4.zip from where you copied it
    6. Choose Install RootRecovey_v4.zip
    7. Restart phone
    Thnx to abrahamyan-ha (XDA member) & lipton_01 (4pda.ru)
    Download RootRecovery_v4.zip

Changelog in ICS 4.0.4 over GB:

This Changelog is based on ICS build 4.0.3 of S2 9100 so there could be some differences. ;)
    • Basic Changelog can be found here: Introducing ICS 4.0
    • To unlock slide lock, touch and drag to outside of circle.
    • Screen Capture: Press and hold POWER + HOME (But it should have been Volume Down + Power as it is normally in ICS.)
    • Sub menu for Menu Button is changed from Grid format to List format.
    • Keyboard Icon is added in indicator bar to change the keyboard being used.
    • 'Restart' option is added when you press power button for a few seconds.
    • If you press “Home” button for a few seconds, recent applications are displayed. If you want to remove / close an application in recent list, select and drag to right or left side.
    • Tap on the Share icon to enable selected texts in the default browser to be used by other applications e.g. Messaging.
    • Favorites now shown as a Thumbnail in the Contacts app with Contact name added in the thumbnail view.
    • 'Unknown sources' option is moved from Applications to Security.
    • Settings are categorized (Wireless & networks, Device, Personal, System), Wi-Fi/BT ON/OFF buttons are displayed instead of 'Wireless & Networks', Data usage function added.
    • Improved increased 'Developer Options.'
    728f35a8-86d5-4832.jpg

Finally we are receiving positive news on the release of ICS on Galaxy R i9103 from different divisions of Samsung from different parts the world. :D

I have started this new thread as the purpose of the last thread was to get some concrete info from Samsung whether Galaxy R will get an ICS update or not, which stands resolved.

But now its a question of when & not if so we'll keep a close watch on the developments here. :)

The tentative dates given by various regional departments of Samsung:

- Germany: Scheduled for July, should be available by August.

- Sweden: Between July 23, 2012 - August 5, 2012

- India: Galaxy R will also be getting ICS upgrade very soon. Stay tuned!(No dates or even month. :()

Sources:
    - Germany:
    Samsung Germany replied my first question on their facebook-wall(dunno why they answered my second one first)

"Hallo * , geplant ist das Update auf ICS für das Galaxy R noch für Juli. Spätestens im August sollte es verfügbar sein."
    Translated:
    "Hello * , the update to ICS for Galaxy R is scheduled for July. At the latest, in August it should be available

Hope Samsung Germany is better informed than other divisons :D
    - Sweden
    1. http://www.facebook.com/samsungsverige/app_208195102528120

2. (Referred to as Galaxy Z in the article): http://translate.google.com/transla...service/Mobilguider/Android-40-uppdateringar/

- India:

1. Q. https://twitter.com/prachetaa/status/214933194158514178/photo/1
    ANS. https://twitter.com/Samsung_India/status/215024751268208640

2. https://www.facebook.com/samsung.mobiles/posts/10150962668939374

[FONT=&quot]If any of the above helped please don't forget to appreciate by hitting 'Thanks'.

REGARDS,
    [/FONT]‘cooleagle’
    Exactly. We have to rely on hacks and workarounds.

Anyway, I was in the kernel almost the whole afternoon. I ported the Atmel driver to work with the new Linux input handling subsystem. Now I can proudly say that I have a usable CM10 build. :cool: The screen is still green, but at least usable now with the touchscreen (even with multitouch :p). :laugh:

I attach some pictures. In the first 3, you can see the pointer. I made those pics in the afternoon and the port was still under construction then. :D The last pic represents the fixed multitouch capabilities which I'm still working on.
    I did some tests with JB (actually CM10) yesterday. I fixed some bugs and now there aren't any Java- or framework-related errors in logcat. However, the screen is green due to bad gralloc (Nvidia only released the Linux drivers) and touchscreen is not responsive. This is because input handling has been changed in Android 4.0 so we have to rewrite the Atmel driver (in the kernel) to work with the new system.

Sent from my GT-I9103
    I know that this is off-topic :)D), but some update on CM10:
    I made some changes to the multitouch. Now everything works fine. :cool:
    Good News:

Guys while browsing on net i found this, Galaxy R big brother Samsung Captivate Glide got official ICS leak's (we can grab drivers from this ;)).....

77pCR.jpg

Download Link: Click here