[GUIDE] I9000 Screen Replacement

Search This thread

AmoKe

Feb 18, 2010
Sarajevo
It took me 3 hours for first time since I didn't know procedure.

I've followed youtube video for disassembly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt9XNnjAcBc).

You have to be very careful and use non-metal tools so you don't damage case.

It's not so scary with keypad sensors on bottom (just at the 85% of disassembly be very careful).

I had bad luck and bought faulty display with bad touch (left side of display was always active, numbers are being dialed by self). I just return back and got a new one.

Don't glue anything or take off screen protect until you try if everything is OK.

*See image if you want to know where you need to use glue.

Attachments

• i9000.jpg
    i9000.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:

Homebrew76

Mar 4, 2011
Great thread guys!

I have a cracked screen so I ordered the new screen + digitizer from repairsuniverse. It got here to Canada pretty quick. I quickly read down through the posts and gave it a shot. Unfortunately I didn't really pay close enough attention to the posts on removing the screen down around the buttons and ended up cutting off the cable ribbons.

I've got a new piece ordered now from flexqueen. My repair just got that much more complicated!

So a lesson learned to anyone else attempting this. Be extremely careful around the buttons. Glued to the screen itself are very delicate sensors that are connected to the main body by very small and fragile cable ribbons.

Start removing the screen on one side at the middle of the body. Go up from there and then down around to the other side. Save the area of the screen next to the buttons for last. When you get to them, do not pry under the screen very far to loosen the glue or you may cut the ribbons like I did. A hairdryer or heatgun for that part of the screen may help loosen the glue that keeps the sensors attached to the screen.

The piece I now have to replace sort of wraps around the bottom of the frame and then the home button gets reattached over it. Promises to be complicated. I'm not looking forward to this.

Rik4rdinh0

Jan 13, 2010
Great thread guys!

I have a cracked screen so I ordered the new screen + digitizer from repairsuniverse. It got here to Canada pretty quick. I quickly read down through the posts and gave it a shot. Unfortunately I didn't really pay close enough attention to the posts on removing the screen down around the buttons and ended up cutting off the cable ribbons.

I've got a new piece ordered now from flexqueen. My repair just got that much more complicated!

So a lesson learned to anyone else attempting this. Be extremely careful around the buttons. Glued to the screen itself are very delicate sensors that are connected to the main body by very small and fragile cable ribbons.

Start removing the screen on one side at the middle of the body. Go up from there and then down around to the other side. Save the area of the screen next to the buttons for last. When you get to them, do not pry under the screen very far to loosen the glue or you may cut the ribbons like I did. A hairdryer or heatgun for that part of the screen may help loosen the glue that keeps the sensors attached to the screen.

The piece I now have to replace sort of wraps around the bottom of the frame and then the home button gets reattached over it. Promises to be complicated. I'm not looking forward to this.

I have the same problem , i have a new flexcable of the buttons , but now i dont know what i need to do , i need glue "back" and "options" buttons at the Screen again ? or glue the flex buttons on the chassi? and what kind of glue i have to use ? sorry about my bad english.

Last edited:

ofk88

Mar 8, 2011
:)

Hello, i broke my sgs's screen few days ago on a accident... Thnx god i'm fine except my phone :)

What you are doing is really amazing guys and inspired me so much :) So i ordered a new screen on ebay from easyworldwidetrading user. I took off broken screen acording what you told in here it was pretty easy and took 10 minutes :) now i'm waiting for new screen excitedly...

Attachments

• P1070447.jpg
    P1070447.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 201
  • P1070448.jpg
    P1070448.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 193

lightmaker22

Oct 15, 2010
great thread guys already disassembled the old screen successfully just need to put the new one in.

edit: replaced and working great, thanks for everyone who contributed.

Last edited:

Rik4rdinh0

Jan 13, 2010
please guys help me , i need glue the sensor´s ( buttons) again ate the screen , or glue at chassi ?

Last edited:

Homebrew76

Mar 4, 2011
Recap: Screen broke, and in taking off the old screen I cut the cable ribbons on the back and menu buttons.

Well I finally have my new screen replaced as well as the circuits for the home, menu and back keys. The good news is the screen replacement turned out great! The bad news, is that none of the buttons work. I must have screwed something up there.

Now I'm pretty friggin frustrated. After shelling out close to $200 for parts, I'll just have to trash the phone and look for a whole new one. No one around these parts does repairs on these new phones.... well one group does but they tell me they haven't actually worked on a new Samsung droid before so I'd end up paying them twice as much and they still wouldn't know what they are doing either.

wiruzman

Jul 2, 2010
Hi everyone,

I broke my screen and threw my old screen in the trash. Guess what, I forgot to take the speaker shield, do you know where I can get a replacement?

Thank you

dehem333

Aug 21, 2010
Today It also happened to me that the phone fell and the screen is now full of big scratches , after reading this thread atleast I know where to get a replacement. But I'm worried about replacing. Im really young and I never did something like this before. Another question is why I search for ''I9000 digitizer'' I find alot of digitizers and there is only one for 55 dollars and the rest is double as much , can someone explain that or confirm that they bought from the same guy for a price like that.

Pekkala89 , in the opening post your saying that you can buy it for 55 dollars , when I look at ebay I can only find 100+ stuff and some weird 50$ en 30$ stuff but that doenst like the whole screen > http://cgi.ebay.com/Digitizer-Touch...Accessories&hash=item27b9b6e268#ht_1210wt_905.

Anyway , I guess the prices went up because of shortage maybe? Or do you have a link where its cheaper. Maybe you change your opening post if so else people will search for something that isnt there :p

Last edited:

Taifuuni89

Nov 16, 2008
Pekkala89 , in the opening post your saying that you can buy it for 55 dollars , when I look at ebay I can only find 100+ stuff and some weird 50$ en 30$ stuff but that doenst like the whole screen > http://cgi.ebay.com/Digitizer-Touch...Accessories&hash=item27b9b6e268#ht_1210wt_905.

Anyway , I guess the prices went up because of shortage maybe? Or do you have a link where its cheaper. Maybe you change your opening post if so else people will search for something that isnt there :p

Could someone confirm that is this shop any good? http://www.shineyourmobile.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=8128 68€ and mail.

gowger

Oct 12, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Has anyone managed to replace the lens only?

Mine finally smashed after the fourth time working it's way out of my pocket while cycling!! Yes I know it's pretty unbelievable that I let it happen again :eek: amazingly it had survived the previous three times with only dents around the edges.

So far I've heard that separating the glass from the samoled layer is impossible, but it's so frustrating because it's obviously a valuable part and it actually all works perfectly despite the huge cracks throughout the screen.

Incredibly even the swype works fine apart from detecting a slight bump occasionally as the finger bumps over one of the cracks.

I'm going to get one of these : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Black-Alumini..._MobilePhonesCasesPouches&hash=item35ab4c174e

Last edited:

Aaron96

Apr 12, 2011
This topic has clues for replacing the screen. I have not concluded an manual for chancing it yet but reading this whole topic gives you the big picture how it is done. Questions are always welcome and I try to answer them with my knowledge. This 1st post gives you 2 links to follow for pics about changing screen and my own starting point for chancing my own screen.

Has anyone bought and installed a digitizer+screen set which is on sale at ebay? I could not post direct link to ebay because I'm a newbie on these forums. You can find the product searching ebay with these keywords "I9000 digitizer". My galaxy's screen cracked and I need an replacement. Both screen and glass broke. I think that this set includes them both. There is also told in the questions that the set infact includes amoled display and not LCD as the title says.

Second question is that does someone have an service manual somewhere. Would be nice to know how to break apart my phone when replacing screen.

Third question is that doesn't samsung vibrant and galaxy s share the same chassis but different screen with more capacitive buttons. Could it be possible to install vibrant's screen to galaxy s?

PS. The way my galaxy brokedown is very funny. I lay down my phone on the kitchen table and the screen cracked. I was like OMFG when I heard the cracking noise. Phone was like 13 days old. Samsung does not repair it with warranty because they think that it wasn't an manufacturing defect. They said that I have dropped my phone and that's the way it broke. That could not be the case because I handled it like a baby. I would have to pay 255€ for new screen and digitizer. Hell no!! I'm a student so that sum does not fit with my wallet.

New screen installed, see posts http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7683527&postcount=37 and http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7710572&postcount=40

EBAY: NEW SCREENS ARE BEING SOLD FOR ~55$. BARGAIN FOR A GREAT DISPLAY. PAID 96$ MYSELF.

I too use screen digitizer and after two days from the day I bought it and due to my carelessness I got my screen cracked…from then onwards I bought a nice attractive Samsung Galaxy i9000 case that suited ma phone while preserving it from damage especially screens and its shiny surface.:)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This topic has clues for replacing the screen. I have not concluded an manual for chancing it yet but reading this whole topic gives you the big picture how it is done. Questions are always welcome and I try to answer them with my knowledge. This 1st post gives you 2 links to follow for pics about changing screen and my own starting point for chancing my own screen.

Has anyone bought and installed a digitizer+screen set which is on sale at ebay? I could not post direct link to ebay because I'm a newbie on these forums. You can find the product searching ebay with these keywords "I9000 digitizer". My galaxy's screen cracked and I need an replacement. Both screen and glass broke. I think that this set includes them both. There is also told in the questions that the set infact includes amoled display and not LCD as the title says.

Second question is that does someone have an service manual somewhere. Would be nice to know how to break apart my phone when replacing screen.

Third question is that doesn't samsung vibrant and galaxy s share the same chassis but different screen with more capacitive buttons. Could it be possible to install vibrant's screen to galaxy s?

PS. The way my galaxy brokedown is very funny. I lay down my phone on the kitchen table and the screen cracked. I was like OMFG when I heard the cracking noise. Phone was like 13 days old. Samsung does not repair it with warranty because they think that it wasn't an manufacturing defect. They said that I have dropped my phone and that's the way it broke. That could not be the case because I handled it like a baby. I would have to pay 255€ for new screen and digitizer. Hell no!! I'm a student so that sum does not fit with my wallet.

New screen installed, see posts http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7683527&postcount=37 and http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7710572&postcount=40

Edit: Ebay's prices have rised noticeable in the last couple of months. At the moment the price for these screens is around 100$. I found this site which sells them for 60£. http://www.shineyourmobile.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=8128
    I haven't read of anybody just replacing only the glass yet. But I have managed to replace only the glass and it works!

I fell skiing at Heavenly on December 27th. The Gorilla Glass did not survive.

I bought the glass from eBay that same night http://www.ebay.com/itm/25095815361...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1340wt_958 for $4.99 + $4.99 ship from an Australian distributor. I arrived today and I started working on it at 1pm. I searched YouTube and found a bunch of videos on how to remove everything up to the digitizer and glass assembly, but nothing after that!

At this point I cracked open the phone and followed the video thinking there was more. The logical think to do would have been to watch the video all the way through at first. And I guess since my SGS works, I'm fortunate that I didn't!

The glass on the phone was completely shattered with no pieces larger than dime left whole. So I started around the top edge first. Once I gain confidence on separating the glass from the thick layer of glue using an Olfa L-2 knife, I started in on the capacitive buttons. Here the glass had shattered to pieces about 1/16 - 1/8th of an inch, relatively easy to remove using the knife to at first wedge, then pry upwards. Both buttons work fine, but I was really careful and it took a bit of time to do. Thinking that was the hardest part was foolish thinking in hindsight...

Clearing the rest of the digitizer is a chore I care not to do again. But it is possible! It took about 3 hours to remove every sliver of glass. As it is like safety glass, it shatters into fragments easily. And once that's done you need to clean up the glue, laced with fine glass dust that can potentially scratch the digitizer. I did it with 50% alcohol and polishing compound. It took the better part of an hour, but it was the only thing I had around the house. Somebody mentioned ethanol on this thread, I'd go with that instead.

You will see a few nicks and scratches on the digitizer. I was will to accept this since I am eyeing a Galaxy Note and this phone is going to to be permanently stationed in the car (the Torque OBDII app works like a dream, it has GPS, is a web browser and plays music though my bluetooth car audio, and can share the 3G data plan. Name a head unit that does all that?). And in all honesty, with the glass installed it looks better than I expected.

To install the glass I used double-sided tape. I heated up the tape with a blow dryer when I sealed everything up, and pressed firmly on all sides to insure a good bond. I was disheartened to find that the digitizer did not respond to every touch. Turns out this was the effect of the warmed glass. As it cooled the touch response time got back to normal. Also be careful of over heating the glass and pressing too hard on the corners of the digitizer. I have a red spot in the edge of a corner I pressed. If I were to do it again, gluing (the type discussed earlier in the thread.) would be the way to go. Finally finished around 6pm. And everything works!

Good luck!
    Removed my screen today, now waiting for new arriving from Hong Kong. I took couple of photos after the screen was removed. You can see the two sensors at the bottom where I had to be very careful when removing screen. It felt like they would rip apart anytime. My luck was that the glue used was very soft and by prying very slowly the screen removed easily. Took about 30min to remove but would have gone faster if my screen wouldn't been shattered near home button. Little glass and amoled pieces are everywhere. I recommend to keep safety glasses on when removing screen because it shatters easily and pieces fly long way. My hand is now like a disco ball. Tools used are seen on the photos. I also used a little kitchen knife but not much so I didn't include it in the photo. There are still little pieces of glass which I have to remove before applying new screen. Gotta figure out how to remove those.
    SOLVED with 6€ (only glass ) !!!

Tks "devonblue4u" : D

you were the only one with courage like me, and I read your post carefully before you venture into the place of "GLASS ONLY OUTSIDE".

I purchased the glass only by E-Bay about 6 € (arrived in about 10 days) :)

I wanted to say that with my method you put about 2 hours without disassembling the phone!

get yourself a micro optical screwdriver, something hard and plastic is not very sharp, knife and .... the REMOVE SILICONE [/ B] spray ( 3€ ).

spray the spray along the edge of the glass of the phone until it starts to become unstuck from the edge of the glass and try to separate the edge, taking care to contacts of the lower part.

Once separated the plastic lip (helping with screwdrivers and plastic tool and cutter always being careful to touch the glass) to try to divide the 2 glass with the cutter and the spray (always doing dissolve the glue of the adhesive).

after removing all the broken glass, clean the glue touch the glass with alcohol and then remount the board appoggiateci pasting over the glass again with very little glue (I used bostik) being careful not to smudge the glass.
    If you made ​​a mistake of gluing always use the "remove silicone" to remove the bostik (or silicon) clean and put the glue.

: D

Good luck.

Umby
    It took me 3 hours for first time since I didn't know procedure.

I've followed youtube video for disassembly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt9XNnjAcBc).

You have to be very careful and use non-metal tools so you don't damage case.

It's not so scary with keypad sensors on bottom (just at the 85% of disassembly be very careful).

I had bad luck and bought faulty display with bad touch (left side of display was always active, numbers are being dialed by self). I just return back and got a new one.

Don't glue anything or take off screen protect until you try if everything is OK.

*See image if you want to know where you need to use glue.