Root your Rogers's Magic !!!

Search This thread

Amon_RA

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Jan 2, 2009
Only apply if you have a stock Roger's Magic without root!

The following procedure flashes the stock Roger's boot image with root access enabled to your Roger's Magic :

1. Copy this update to your SD-card.
2. Download RAv1.0's rooted recovery here.
3. Boot the device in fastboot mode.
4. Connect the device to your machine over USB.
5. $fastboot boot recovery-RAv1.0H.img
wait a few minutes and unplug your device from USB
6. Choose option "Apply sdcard:update.zip" from the menu

If the flashing doesn't work you might need to flash this SPL update from your sd-card after fast booting with recovery-RAv1.0H.img

If you want to have a rooted recovery as well, you can check out this post.

Enjoy :D

Special thanks to :
Haykuro for all his help ^^ , buy him a Nesquik!
JesusFreke for his JFv1.43's recovery

Last edited:

skittleguy

May 30, 2008
Calgary
It works! Woot Root!

Edit: Confirmed root adb access by pushing these onto my phone. Now my Rogers is more awesome! Huzzah!

Last edited:

skittleguy

May 30, 2008
Calgary
how do i do the fifth step

"5. $fastboot boot recovery-RAv1.0H.img"

when i connect in fast boot method, i get a a found new hardware dialog box running windows vista ultimate x64 eition
Did you install the drivers properly?

Now we need to get more roms working with the Rogers! Any ideas on how we con go about that?

Amon_RA

Jan 2, 2009
is there any reason that this wouldn't work on the Dream ?

1. I don't think the kernel inside the recovery image would work on the dream.
2. The boot image inside the update is from the Magic, not from the dream.

There's no harm in trying to fastboot the recovery image... but I don't think it will work. Let us know if it would!

parrot5

Feb 7, 2008
Don't we need rooted recovery to be able to restore our backups? Just confirming......

parrot5

Feb 7, 2008
Wow... Thanks Amon_RA! I can now install some input methods that I couldn't do...

We still can't just choose any ROM out there, correct? Or now that we have ROOT we are invincible? .. hehe

skittleguy

May 30, 2008
Calgary
Here's another possible noobish question: there doesn't appear to be any su installed by default into the stock Rogers rom (ie. attempting to su from the console results in "su:not found"). Any ideas?

Amon_RA

Jan 2, 2009
Wow... Thanks Amon_RA! I can now install some input methods that I couldn't do...

We still can't just choose any ROM out there, correct? Or now that we have ROOT we are invincible? .. hehe

The boot images inside the "any ROM" would have to be repacked using Haykuro's discovered offset ;)

So make sure you know what you are doing and always make a backup of your current configuration first!

Any specific ROM you would like to run on your rooted Rogers?

Amon_RA

Jan 2, 2009
Here's another possible noobish question: there doesn't appear to be any su installed by default into the stock Rogers rom (ie. attempting to su from the console results in "su:not found"). Any ideas?

Just download Koush's su from his blog here.

* Unzip the ZIP file (it will create a folder called Superuser).
* Run install.bat (or install.sh if you are on Linux) from the Superuser directory.

parrot5

Feb 7, 2008
The boot images inside the "any ROM" would have to be repacked using Haykuro's discovered offset ;)

So make sure you know what you are doing and always make a backup of your current configuration first!

Any specific ROM you would like to run on your rooted Rogers?

Not sure I know what I'm doing :p I do not know how to mod an image.

I saw on the forum that a few people mentioned the Ion ROM is the fastest of the bunch? I definitely would want to try it. I know many other people who want the Hero ROM instead :)

dgr8one

Jul 7, 2007
Toronto
thank you for this.

i have a rooted rogers magic with su access.

wifi-tether is not working for me with the rogers rom. need to install a new rom i guess.