[GUIDE] [NS4G] Simple Root/Unroot

Search This thread

kpkimmel

Jun 13, 2010
Detroit
This guide is the easiest way to root and unroot your nexus s 4g. If you follow the instructions well you should be fine, included is odin and the files needed if something goes wrong, but it shouldn't as my 11 year old sister could follow them correctly:). READ ENTIRE POST BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS PLEASE.

If your pc doesn't recognize your phone in fastboot make sure your sdk is up to date including thirdparty installs, and download pdanet trial version and those drivers will work. get drivers here http://hotfile.com/dl/92897696/7ae5290/drivers.rar.html

or if your not comfortable installing drivers download pdanet here and install as it will automatically install drivers for you

http://www.junefabrics.com/android/download.php

ROOTING..................

Ok download the files attached and extract them. For the first part for rooting you will need the:

superuser.zip
recovery3101.img

-Ok put the superuser.zip on the sdcard of your phone.

-Power off phone, when off hold volume up and power button to get to bootloader.

-Go the the tools folder of your android sdk and open command prompt and enter the following command: (easiest way is to hold shift and right click on tools folder and hit the button that says "open command window here" then type these command...

fastboot devices (make sure your device shows up, if not your drivers aren't installed)

fastboot oem unlock

-this will unlock the bootloader and you should follow the prompt and accept (volume up, then power button)

-Some have reported unlocking the bootloader erases sdcard..if so when you reboot after unlocking make sure to put superuser.zip back on sdcard.

-this should reboot your phone, now power off, when off hold volume up and then power button to get back to bootloader.

-place the recovery3101.img in the tools folder and type the following command

fastboot flash recovery recovery3101.img

-You should see it say flash ok in the command prompt, now scroll down (on phone) to recovery and hit the power button (ok button)

-Go to flash zip from sdcard and select the superuser.zip and let it flash.

-when done reboot phone, sign into google accnt, download rom manager, open up rom manager go down to All clockworkmod recoverys and flash 3.1.0 (the newest recovery doesn't work for me as my phone can't get into recovery that is why we are flashing the other one )

-All set you can flash other roms, MAKE SURE TO CREATE BACKUP OF YOUR CURRENT STOCK ROOTED ROM FIRST.

UNROOTING.........

Get files http://www.4shared.com/file/N5g8Hav_/root.html?]

-download and extract files, we will be using odin, the 3 tar files.

-extract tar files to desktop along with odin.

-run odin and in the files section select the boxes bootloader, pda, phone.

-click the buttons next to each and direct it to the .tar files we extracted to desktop, so....

click the bootloader box, direct it to sph-d720-bootloader.tar ...then..
click the pda button direct it toward the sph-d720-pda.tar....then..
click the phone button and direct it toward sph-d720-phone.tar....

-now turn off your phone, when off hold volume up and volume down buttons simultaneously, then quickly press the power button....a huge yellow triangle will pop up and say "downloading'.......
plug your phone via usb to computer....odin should automatically see it.....click the start button in odin and let it do its thing and bam...all set.

If you want stock recovery too place the recovery.img in tools folder, open command prompt..type the following command..

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Done.

Attachments

• root.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 12,210
Last edited:

DarkManX4lf

May 11, 2007
NYC
Ill give this a try when I get home....but I'm sure you need to make sure you have all the correct drivers installed...or when you run the fast boo command it won't recognize your phone is connected.

lembowski

Aug 6, 2007
Subbed for when I have time.

Since the NS4G doesn't have a SD Card where do you put the superuser zip?

D

dodgeram02

need some help..when i hook my phone to my computer which has windows vista 32..i get a found new hardware that pops up SM BUS CONTROLLER..why is that..but if i go into my DEVICE MANAGER under OTHER DEVICES it has a question mark next to SM BUS CONTROLLER...and at the top of the list i do have ANDROID PHONE.when i expand that there is ANDROID COMPOSITE ADB INTERFACE...this crap is driving me crazy tried everything....HELP.....

D

dodgeram02

I have rooted a EVO IPHONE AND ETC..but for some reason I just cant get this thing to root or to comunnicate to my computer.

kpkimmel

Jun 13, 2010
Detroit
need some help..when i hook my phone to my computer which has windows vista 32..i get a found new hardware that pops up SM BUS CONTROLLER..why is that..but if i go into my DEVICE MANAGER under OTHER DEVICES it has a question mark next to SM BUS CONTROLLER...and at the top of the list i do have ANDROID PHONE.when i expand that there is ANDROID COMPOSITE ADB INTERFACE...this crap is driving me crazy tried everything....HELP.....

install pda net before doing this root process..

D

dodgeram02

ok i got it figured out but when i do the RECOVERY STEP I GET A "!"IN A TRIANGLE.

D

dodgeram02

-place the recovery.img in the tools folder and type the following command

-You should see it say flash ok in the command prompt, now scroll down (on phone) to recovery and hit the power button (ok button)
this part isnt workin for me.........

D

dodgeram02

DUDE YOUR THE MAN!!!!!!GOT R DONE...you been very helpful....out of trying all the other damn ROOTING GUIDES yours was the FASTEST AND THE EASIEST......Thanks bud!!!!

DarkManX4lf

May 11, 2007
NYC
I can't seem to get this to work. I have Win7 64 and I used PDAnet to install the drivers but when I get to the part where I have to type "fastboot oem unlock" the command prompt just says < waiting for device > and there is nothing on the Nexus S 4g other than the normal fastboot options for me to select.

kpkimmel

Jun 13, 2010
Detroit
I can't seem to get this to work. I have Win7 64 and I used PDAnet to install the drivers but when I get to the part where I have to type "fastboot oem unlock" the command prompt just says < waiting for device > and there is nothing on the Nexus S 4g other than the normal fastboot options for me to select.

Make sure you installed the right drivers....reboot computer, make sure you opened the command prompt in the tools folder as that is where the fastboot commands are located....also it will automatically reboot in the "unlock bootloader menu" you don't select anything...until that menu comes up..make sure your sdk is updated as well..even third party installs..

Last edited:

nmoreman

Sep 9, 2008
I want to thank you, these are great instructions so far. I have been trying for days, got my phone unlocked by a mistake, had to Odin back (came from Epic so know and love that system), but it stayed unlocked.

I cannot get it rooted. Used your instructions and get to second part - cannot install fasboot recovery.

My files are in tools listed as recovery-clockwork-3.1.0.1-crespo4g. I ran fastboot, came up with a large square of instructions, not ok, with command and option. So I tried again. nothing

Then went to phone with it connected, tried to select from card the su file. It goes to yellow triangle and finally get back to a reboot.

I am so close, can you help with what I am doing wrong? It is not rooted and cannot get it to do anything.

kpkimmel

Jun 13, 2010
Detroit
I want to thank you, these are great instructions so far. I have been trying for days, got my phone unlocked by a mistake, had to Odin back (came from Epic so know and love that system), but it stayed unlocked.

I cannot get it rooted. Used your instructions and get to second part - cannot install fasboot recovery.

My files are in tools listed as recovery-clockwork-3.1.0.1-crespo4g. I ran fastboot, came up with a large square of instructions, not ok, with command and option. So I tried again. nothing

Then went to phone with it connected, tried to select from card the su file. It goes to yellow triangle and finally get back to a reboot.

I am so close, can you help with what I am doing wrong? It is not rooted and cannot get it to do anything.

MAKE SURE IT IS UNLOCK BY TYPING

FASTBOOT OEM UNLOCK

JUST TO BE SURE ITS UNLOCKED.

to open the command prompt for fastboot when you see the tools folder in android sdk folder hold shift, right click on tools folder and choose option "open comand prompt here"

first use the recovery3101.img i provided. Flash that by typing

command prompt will say flash ok...look at your phone..scroll down to recovery option and hit the power button..should load you into clockwork recovery....let me know if you get that far..

Last edited:
Reactions: nmoreman

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is the easiest way to root and unroot your nexus s 4g. If you follow the instructions well you should be fine, included is odin and the files needed if something goes wrong, but it shouldn't as my 11 year old sister could follow them correctly:). READ ENTIRE POST BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS PLEASE.

If your pc doesn't recognize your phone in fastboot make sure your sdk is up to date including thirdparty installs, and download pdanet trial version and those drivers will work. get drivers here http://hotfile.com/dl/92897696/7ae5290/drivers.rar.html

or if your not comfortable installing drivers download pdanet here and install as it will automatically install drivers for you

http://www.junefabrics.com/android/download.php

ROOTING..................

Ok download the files attached and extract them. For the first part for rooting you will need the:

superuser.zip
    recovery3101.img

-Ok put the superuser.zip on the sdcard of your phone.

-Power off phone, when off hold volume up and power button to get to bootloader.

-Go the the tools folder of your android sdk and open command prompt and enter the following command: (easiest way is to hold shift and right click on tools folder and hit the button that says "open command window here" then type these command...

fastboot devices (make sure your device shows up, if not your drivers aren't installed)

fastboot oem unlock

-this will unlock the bootloader and you should follow the prompt and accept (volume up, then power button)

-Some have reported unlocking the bootloader erases sdcard..if so when you reboot after unlocking make sure to put superuser.zip back on sdcard.

-this should reboot your phone, now power off, when off hold volume up and then power button to get back to bootloader.

-place the recovery3101.img in the tools folder and type the following command

-Go to flash zip from sdcard and select the superuser.zip and let it flash.

-when done reboot phone, sign into google accnt, download rom manager, open up rom manager go down to All clockworkmod recoverys and flash 3.1.0 (the newest recovery doesn't work for me as my phone can't get into recovery that is why we are flashing the other one )

-All set you can flash other roms, MAKE SURE TO CREATE BACKUP OF YOUR CURRENT STOCK ROOTED ROM FIRST.

UNROOTING.........

Get files http://www.4shared.com/file/N5g8Hav_/root.html?]

-download and extract files, we will be using odin, the 3 tar files.

-extract tar files to desktop along with odin.

-run odin and in the files section select the boxes bootloader, pda, phone.

-click the buttons next to each and direct it to the .tar files we extracted to desktop, so....

click the bootloader box, direct it to sph-d720-bootloader.tar ...then..
    click the pda button direct it toward the sph-d720-pda.tar....then..
    click the phone button and direct it toward sph-d720-phone.tar....

-now turn off your phone, when off hold volume up and volume down buttons simultaneously, then quickly press the power button....a huge yellow triangle will pop up and say "downloading'.......
    plug your phone via usb to computer....odin should automatically see it.....click the start button in odin and let it do its thing and bam...all set.

If you want stock recovery too place the recovery.img in tools folder, open command prompt..type the following command..

Done.

MAKE SURE IT IS UNLOCK BY TYPING

FASTBOOT OEM UNLOCK

JUST TO BE SURE ITS UNLOCKED.

to open the command prompt for fastboot when you see the tools folder in android sdk folder hold shift, right click on tools folder and choose option "open comand prompt here"

first use the recovery3101.img i provided. Flash that by typing

command prompt will say flash ok...look at your phone..scroll down to recovery option and hit the power button..should load you into clockwork recovery....let me know if you get that far..
    I literally just did this and you are correct. Also, after unlocking and then flashing 3.1.0.1 clockwork recovery, the recovery for me is staying. It doesn't appear to be getting replaced.

Some have reported sdcard erase and recovery staying..this is not always the case.updated guide to reflect for people that have sdcard formating....i advise to reflash clockwork JUST IN CASE as you can never be too careful..thanks for the input though.
    Why does it matter about unlocking bootloader..simple command....to relock just type

fastboot oem lock
    I have the same issue as Chris. I'm bought my 3g nexus s from Fido in Canada. I followed the unrooting steps and turn my phone into a sprint 4g nexus s. Now I can't do anything other than using wi-fi. Is there any ways to reverse the whole thing? I need to send my phone back to repair for some other issues.

Flashing a gsm ROM might do the trick. Try this