[Q] Questions about unlocking HTC One M8, using unlimited data for mobile hotspot

Search This thread

Muti007

Apr 18, 2014
Hello folks, Ive lurked here for a while and gotten great info and am hoping to get some help here. I apologize if some of what Im asking is obvious to you folks but it isnt to me so here I am. I tried HoFo but got no help there.

Ive been using factory unlocked Sony Xperias for a while (Z, ZL, Z Ultra)so never had this issue before, but I have an HTC One M8 coming and unfortunately its ATT branded, though I bought it from a private seller and not ATT themselves. Im also grandfathered into unlimited data for many years now, and with my Sonys can turn on mobile hotspot anytime and use my data with ATT none the wiser. Now Im assuming since I was dumb enough to buy an ATT phone, I will be told to contact ATT once I pop in my SIM and try to turn on mobile hotspot, is this correct? If so, will unlocking the phone resolve this issue? As of now ATT has no idea Ive bought this phone, nor did they ever even recognize my Sonys because they never sold them, but since this is an ATT M8, Im assuming theyll know immediately what Im using, identify my plan and lock me out. Im hoping I can get around that.

I also imagine since its an ATT phone it will have all sorts of abilities locked out and a lot of fluff added in. How can I get the features unlocked? Is there anyway to buy a carrier branded phone and get it to be similar to one that was bought factory unlocked from the beginning and never branded?

Any help and advice would be appreciated and TIA

Muti007

Apr 18, 2014
Ok, if I asked too much stuff there that was obvious to you but not me, can someone just please tell me if unlocking the bootloader will at least unlock the mobile hotspot function for me so I can turn it on?

Muti007

Apr 18, 2014
Well, just unlocked, rooted, s-off and twrpd my first phone. What a b*tch, lol! But I had to learn one of these days. Sadly, still cant get the native or any other mobile hotspot app to work though. I saw a thread about a VZW M8 hack but still cant seem to find anything for this ATT thing. No one even willing to talk to me? :confused:

Last edited:

demongrim

Mar 18, 2012
Well, just unlocked, rooted, s-off and twrpd my first phone. What a b*tch, lol! But I had to learn one of these days. Sadly, still cant get the native or any other mobile hotspot app to work though. I saw a thread about a VZW M8 hack but still cant seem to find anything for this ATT thing. No one even willing to talk to me? :confused:

You can try wiFi Tether Router. Its in the play market but you have to pay $2.50 for it. Has worked for me. I don't think this app can be dectected by the carriers like ATT because it does't use the native hotspot of the phone.

Last edited:

Wonders_Never_Cease

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 10, 2013
Youll have to flash a custom rom that has this feature unlocked@tethering and is debloated,xarrier build will block it and tell you to conract them.....

scottysize

Mar 17, 2011
This is not going to help you at all, but I pay the extra $30 per month. I use up to 50GB of data each month tethering, and I want to make sure the my carrier doesn't block me.

So now that I've done my service by telling you to do the right thing, you use to be able to go in using SQLLite and turn off the checker. For VZW it was around line 149 - 160. Can't remember. I would think you could do that for AT&T. Maybe someone knows? Or maybe AT&T doesn't work like that any more, of maybe KK doesn't work like that any more. :confused: