[GT-P6200][CWMRecovery][ROOT]ClockworkMod Recovery and Root

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jmar8124

Apr 16, 2011
prestatyn
Thanks for testing. Mine just hung doing a backup. It appears we need to test this more (and not recommend it to n00bs). ;)

ye defo needs more work to be honst with you i think you have done a great job mate :D very happy but i have found a new issue...backups can not be located on sdcard or externalstorage :( im just a semi noob lmfao hahahahaha......:D so its pob just me

can not find in...

Code:
sdcard, clockworkmod, backups
externalstorage, clockworkmod, backups

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

hung/stuck or says failed..?

EDIT: Factory reset and says Backup Complete. Now to try a restore to be sure.

Thanks!

Restore successful!

woohoo, excellent job!

its hung at about 70% completion

aorth

Nov 10, 2010
Nairobi, Kenya
mjanja.ch
ClockworkMod Recovery 5.5.0.4

Wassup, ballers? I just compiled ClockworkMod Recovery 5.5.0.4 for P6200. It's the default recovery version in the CM9 branch.

Only for the brave!

Download: goo-inside.me (md5: 60517dc528c983ec9d8832c9a48934e5)
Flash: Reboot your device into download mode and then flash with Heimdall:
Code:
heimdall flash --recovery p6200-clockworkmod-5.5.0.4.img

I don't know if it's any better than 5.0.2.7. I flashed it, it boots, seems to generally work. The testing is up to you guys, cuz I'm busy porting CM9. ;)

Reactions: chrisrotolo

scottypimpin636

May 12, 2009
Can anyone confirm that aorth's version of cwm is stable on our p6200?

Sent from my GT-P6200L using xda premium

gr8techie

Nov 27, 2011
Lucknow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ****** USE AT YOUR OWN RISK *******

This is NOT SUPPORTED SOFTWARE. This is purely for my amusement and entertainment. I'm making it available to download for those who might like to examine my work, but if you install it, you are on your own. I can't even test this myself. (I don't have a GT-P6200.)

Seriously - this has not been tested enough for me to be happy with it, and I'm unable to test it myself. Please read the thread for the GT-P6210 for instructions, known issues, warnings, etc.

If you do decide to install this anyway, please let me know how it works out for you. If no one is using it, I WILL NOT MAINTAIN IT AND WILL DROP IT.

If people do start using it, and the reports are that everything is working okay, then it'll get merged into what I'm already doing with the other two 7 plus models (meaning it'll get updated as needed when they do.)

Again, PLEASE READ the thread for the 6210 for everything you need to know: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1379532

..and here's a link for a CWM recovery.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?do5jkna3dpas1tq

Take care
    Gary
    Am I wrong that Recovery still sees the external SD card as an internal SD card?
    ClockworkMod Recovery, and all CWM-based recoveries mount what what is plugged into a user accessible memory card slot as "/emmc." That, in turn, is called the "internal sd card" within CWM Recovery.

This has historic reasons from what I can tell...

So, these are the partitions that contain user data:

/data - (all android phones have this, even very early android phones.) Used to store user installed programs and data for both system and user installed programs (but not "external" data such as music files.)

/sdcard - This is an optional partition, though nearly all modern phones have it. Unlike /data, there isn't any pre-determinated layout. Usually 8, 16 or 32 GB in size. Back when phones only had /data partitions built in, this storage space might be provided by plugging in an sdcard. In CWM recovery, this is referred to as "sdcard", "the sdcard", etc.

/emmc - (As far as I know, only cyanogenmod (and firmware based on cyanogen) actually mounts to /emmc. Others mount in various other places. The 7+ mounts to /sdcard/extStorages/SdCard) After phones started coming with built-in memory mounted to /sdcard, a different partition was needed for any user-replacable memory card. There really is no standard for this (at this time.) Within CWM recovery, it's referred to as "internal sdcard" (perhaps with the intent of someday supporting an external device for backing up.) Keep in mind that the exact same CWM Recovery source is used for all different versions of android, so the labels might seem a bit strange.

I've seriously considered deviating from the CWM-Recovery source and changing the labels for my recoveries to be more consistant. For example: instead of "sdcard", I'd use "built-in memory." Instead of "internal sdcard", I'd use "user accessible microSD card." The problem with that is that users who are already familiar with CWM Recovery (and accustomed to its quirks) might get confused with different labels.

If I could figure out how to submit a patch for consideration to Koush (the author of CWM Recovery), I would probably submit one that allows the labels for various partitions to be noted in a config file and used from there.

Gary
    With the release of ICS, and seeing that others have taken over carrying the torch for updated and more modern versions of CWM Recovery, I'm no longer going to be supporting this release.

I'll leave the thread intact, but request that it be locked.

Oh, and I am still around, but I'm giving my Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus to my wife. The stock firmware is actually very good for her, and she doesn't demand the amount of control over a tablet that I want.

Take care
    Gary
    (more time to reply properly now...)

My username on github is garyd9, but I'm not sure how much help my code will be for you.

I don't know how recovery works on the 7.7. It might be similar to how most samsung's work (same kernel partition as a normal boot but with a different boot parameter) or similar to the 7.0 plus (which uses a completely different kernel partition for recovery and normal boots.) That makes a HUGE difference...

I see on the 7.7 forums that you already have people pulling and posting to github the initramfs and kernel stuff - so thats a better place to start than the 7.0plus stuff. You'll probably have to make some adjustments to the kernel source that is posted on opensource.samsung.com. I honestly think they deliberately "tweak" the defconfig's to not work properly on the target device. Unfortunately, I can't predict what changes would be needed for that device.

About the only thing that leaves out is the actual replacement recovery binary, which I compiled from the cyanogenmod sources. You'll probably have to make some changes, but again I can't predict those. You might consider getting the recovery sources from the ICS branch, as they'll likely be more compatible with honeycomb than the gingerbread branch.

Take care and good luck
    Gary
    Building recovery

I've started a device tree for the GT-P6200 on github. Right now it's very basic, but it does build a working `recovery` binary for the PT-6200. You still need to drop it into an initramfs and compile a kernel with said initramfs (I'll publish my initramfs on github this week, it's basically kanged from garyd9's PT-6210 one anyways). Thanks to garyd9 for getting the ball rolling on ClockworkMod Recovery for these tabs.

btw, this is the first step of porting CyanogenMod 9 (ICS) to the GT-P6200. Right now my device tree is very basic, with a lot of the initial stuff being kanged from teamhacksung's Galaxy SII device tree. It doesn't build anything that you can flash to your device (yet!). I'd love for input (preferably code!) and help. Keep an eye on the repository, and fork it if you're interested:

https://github.com/alanorth/device_samsung_galaxytab7p