[NIGHTLIES] CyanogenMod 9 Discussion Thread

Search This thread

Phenom2

Feb 28, 2010
Is somebody knows how to customize to the max the nighlty builds ?

I've heard that Reloaded ICS doesn't work anymore on the latest build, someone can confirm ?

Any alternative ? :(

prasad.adam

Jul 7, 2010
Mumbai
Searched this thread + Google, but no avail.
Is it okay updating to every nightlies?

After doing wipe cache/dalvik, do I need to login again to twitter, facebook,... etc? And registering my device with like prey, kindle,... etc?

I mean is it recommended, or should I update to the one I see with major fixes?

Sent from My Note to YOU using xda premium...

You can go through the changelog (http://changelog.bbqdroid.org/#n7000/cm9/next) and decide for yourself whether you want to upgrade to next nightly or not.

After you install a nightly, you need to wipe cache and dalvik. All your apps remain intact and you need not have to login again to any of the apps.

Reactions: m2b999

m2b999

Nov 26, 2011
Towson
54eb49f3-0aa2-2b2b.jpg

My Note doesn't show the network operator in notifications!!!

Mine is SA Al Jawal (STC - Saudi Arabia).

Is it just me? I mean the phone works fine including data access, but would like to see SA Al Jawal instead of No Service.

Thanks!

Last edited:

yanix

Apr 1, 2012
Quezon City
My Note doesn't show the network operator in notifications!!!

Mine is SA Al Jawal (STC - Saudi Arabia).

Is it just me? I mean the phone works fine including data access, but would like to see SA Al Jawal instead of No Service.

Thanks!

Works for me. Operator is shown and my Note is on yesterday's build.

Sent from my GNote on CM9!

un4seen

Jan 26, 2009
That's weird. After the 15.05 nightly (approx., I install every 5 days) I started having SOD problems, even after full wipes and clean install. I can even easily reproduce it - if the phone is idle for a long time (a few hours when I sleep) and I receive a text message, the phone seems to crash. I can hear it receiving the message (by which I mean I can hear interference in my speakers, which kinda acts like a notification for me), but it does it continuously, and the phone cannot wake. I have to reboot it, and after booting I immediately receive the message as usual.

-Only happens after long periods of deep sleep with about 30% probability and only with text messages (calls and email work normally).
-nothing unusual in logs or last_dmesg
-happens on both my Notes, so not an isolated case

I'll try to investigate it for a bit as soon as I have some time.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
IIRC, most people with a windows machine who want to do ROM development spin up virtualbox and install ubuntu, and do the development there.

I use ubuntu native, and haven't tried windows development, or doing anything with eclipse, as I'm more interested in the kernel.

Go to wiki.cyanogenmod.com, and find the Galaxy S II build instructions.
Replace gingerbread with ics.
Replace galaxys2 with n7000.
IIRC you don't need to get rom manager anymore.
You may also need to create .repo/local_manifest.xml and add the device & kernel specific lines:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
  <project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_samsung_n7000" path="device/samsung/n7000" remote="github" />
  <project name="CyanogenMod/android_kernel_samsung_smdk4210" path="kernel/samsung/smdk4210" remote="github" revision="ics" />
</manifest>

Been a while since I did it, so YMMV. My build area is about 15G, so make sure you allocate enough space if you decide to go down that path.

Not sure of the dependencies at all, that is all handled by the build environment.

If you provide me with a patch, I might look at trying to build for you, but you are probably better going to the virtualbox path.
No need for local_manifest hackery now that we're official.

I don't expect the number of countries to make any difference. There was only one source code released. Actually more source code would make it harder, as there would then more work to compare the different source codes.

While my preferences are opposite yours, neither of us get to set developer priorities / interests.

Previously it has been said that MHL would require various high level changes in the ROM even after the MHL kernel changes were merged, while I guess that OTG would require mostly kernel changes, and then could be used directy at the shell level, or using the already available apps. I have looked at the OTG changes and there are many, more than my currently limited understanding can attempt to manually merge. I haven't looked at MHL at all.
The official ICS release gets us nothing or nearly nothing MHL-wise. Remember - I9100 has had kernel source for over two months and still no working MHL. There's a lot of proprietary userspace stuff Samsung did that isn't documented and has no source code.

I'm just going to confirm the battery drain everyone else is experiencing.

This is on a clean CM9 29th march build, with only battery monitor widget installed. Only Sync Contact is enabled (honestly, if Sync is having a problem, I think it's also a problem with the ROM as it comes with it).

Anyway, I started off with wifi off. After 2 hours, battery drain remains at 4 mA (I've seen 2 mA on ICS stunner with wifi on, in standby). Then I decided to turn on wifi and let it idle. Battery drain leaps to about 60 mA. Left it for a few hours to stabilize and so my battery drops from 100% to 70% in 5 hours. Battery drain hovers at 51 mA and stayed there.

Then I decided to turn off the wifi, but the battery drain is still going on. The last time I tried this was on an unclean ROM, but it took about another 8 hours for the battery drain to slowly go from 50 mA to 11 mA. I think the merge from the official kernel source seems to have lead to battery drain problems. I didn't have any battery drain problem before, on CM9.

<ignore>Another bug seems to be that the lockscreen is a bit slow to respond. I had to press the home key again so that it responds.</ignore> Nevermind, it's a known bug.

Could you show me the schematic of the circuit you used to measure current draw? Basically, you threw a bunch of current drain numbers that are outright lies if you did not use an external current measurement method, considering our device has NO way of measuring current draw internally.

I'm sick of this bull**** - None of the developers can reproduce your claimed problems, and not a single one of you has posted a single shred of useful data, and now people are posting crap that I know is an outright lie because the data they claim to have is impossible to obtain without hooking up a dummy battery and an ammeter outside the device.

Next person to whine about wifi issues the developers are unable to reproduce without COMPLETELY following the instructions for diagnosing drain at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1308030 is getting reported.

In short - don't complain about wifi drain unless you've got a complete kernel wakelock dump taken in the manner requested in that thread along with a Shark capture.

The new driver fixes power management issues in a number of situations (For example, I again see deep sleep above 80% during an arpdrain stress test, I haven't seen that since ICS was released) - maybe it breaks others. Without any data other than useless *****ing and whining, it won't change.

Edit: It seems like with the exception of the touchscreen issue, those experiencing wifi problems are all using the same router - which happens to be a combined DSL/wifi router and in my experiences, many of those are utter ****. (See how 2wire is at the top of the ****list in the thread I linked above...) If people actually encounter problems with routers that have a good track record of reliability and consistency (Off of the top of my head - ones running DD-WRT or Tomato, and Ubiqiti products), that would be interesting. If it's Belkin or a Netgear running stock firmware, don't even bother wasting my time.

Last edited:

cdmackay

Aug 11, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Better Battery Stats is also great for identifying causes of drain whilst phone should be sleeping.

Well, it was for me on my Galaxy S; I've only just got my Note (yesterday) so yet to try it there.

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

After you install a nightly, you need to wipe cache and dalvik.

Is that necessary? I've never once done that (on CM9 nightlies on Galaxy S), with no issues.

be_vigilant

Dec 23, 2006
Wakefield
That's weird. After the 15.05 nightly (approx., I install every 5 days) I started having SOD problems, even after full wipes and clean install. I can even easily reproduce it - if the phone is idle for a long time (a few hours when I sleep) and I receive a text message, the phone seems to crash. I can hear it receiving the message (by which I mean I can hear interference in my speakers, which kinda acts like a notification for me), but it does it continuously, and the phone cannot wake. I have to reboot it, and after booting I immediately receive the message as usual.

-Only happens after long periods of deep sleep with about 30% probability and only with text messages (calls and email work normally).
-nothing unusual in logs or last_dmesg
-happens on both my Notes, so not an isolated case

I'll try to investigate it for a bit as soon as I have some time.

This is also my experience of SODs. It does seem to crash when receiving a call\sms\email\gtalk IM

Please if you discover anything keep the following up to date

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1671272

Last edited:

hamma

Apr 20, 2006
Could anybody please have a look in their router, if the wlan-log is "spammed" by the note, too.

blindbox

Mar 7, 2012
Could you show me the schematic of the circuit you used to measure current draw? Basically, you threw a bunch of current drain numbers that are outright lies if you did not use an external current measurement method, considering our device has NO way of measuring current draw internally.

I'm sick of this bull**** - None of the developers can reproduce your claimed problems, and not a single one of you has posted a single shred of useful data, and now people are posting crap that I know is an outright lie because the data they claim to have is impossible to obtain without hooking up a dummy battery and an ammeter outside the device.

Next person to whine about wifi issues the developers are unable to reproduce without COMPLETELY following the instructions for diagnosing drain at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1308030 is getting reported.

In short - don't complain about wifi drain unless you've got a complete kernel wakelock dump taken in the manner requested in that thread along with a Shark capture.

The new driver fixes power management issues in a number of situations (For example, I again see deep sleep above 80% during an arpdrain stress test, I haven't seen that since ICS was released) - maybe it breaks others. Without any data other than useless *****ing and whining, it won't change.

Edit: It seems like with the exception of the touchscreen issue, those experiencing wifi problems are all using the same router - which happens to be a combined DSL/wifi router and in my experiences, many of those are utter ****. (See how 2wire is at the top of the ****list in the thread I linked above...) If people actually encounter problems with routers that have a good track record of reliability and consistency (Off of the top of my head - ones running DD-WRT or Tomato, and Ubiqiti products), that would be interesting. If it's Belkin or a Netgear running stock firmware, don't even bother wasting my time.

I didn't mean to whine. If my tone was like that, forgive me. I checked the battery reading by using an app called battery monitor widget. It's not as accurate as putting an ammeter and a voltmeter between the battery and the device itself, I know, but FWIW, it gives me a linear value indicator where the higher the value = the worse the drain is. It's value is useful relatively, and since I managed to get 2 mA easily on one ROM, in addition to the fact that the wifi does not consume more on standby.

Replace 'mA' with 'units' if that makes you cringe less.

Anyway, that thread has some great stuff. I'll do that too and report back.

By the way, my router is not in any way crap. I'm on TP-Link WR1043ND, on OpenWRT trunk version r32001 (tbh, DD-WRT is crap compared to OpenWRT). I'll go and get a tcpdump on my wireless router and see if galaxy note is spamming it.

Last edited:
Reactions: returnzer0

ahalford

Sep 24, 2011
עץ החיים
NIt seems like with the exception of the touchscreen issue, those experiencing wifi problems are all using the same router - which happens to be a combined DSL/wifi router and in my experiences, many of those are utter ****. (See how 2wire is at the top of the ****list in the thread I linked above...) If people actually encounter problems with routers that have a good track record of reliability and consistency (Off of the top of my head - ones running DD-WRT or Tomato, and Ubiqiti products), that would be interesting. If it's Belkin or a Netgear running stock firmware, don't even bother wasting my time.

Thank you. Is there any detailed knowledge base about such routers, with buggy firmware verisons listed, and alternative firmware/soultions? Or otherwise, list of "clean" wi-fi/dsl routers? Mine is TP-Link TL-WR941N

Last edited:

robertkuro

Feb 19, 2012
Weird dots

I have those weird dots or smudge on some of my live wallpaper and wallpaper I know it's not the screen maybe is something I need to change can anyone help me please I would really appreciated ..thanks

hamma

Apr 20, 2006

@entropy
I really appreciate your work, but before the new wifi-driver was released, everything with the router was fine. How can it be that, with the new driver, the fault lies by the "utter ****" routers?

Kings Lee

Oct 11, 2006
btw, the wifi module included with 0529 enabled my torrent to go up to 1MB/s while the old module was just 50kb/s, might be just coincidence...

tapatalk on cm9-nightly-n7000

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

oops... another near SOD!

I was downloading the Torrent via Wifi, and the screen sleeps. Then I want to wake it up by power button, no response!

Then I get to my computer, connect to USB, and it wakes!
Immediately I connect adb shell, then logcat, that's what I got...

http://pastebin.com/QH1JGcYU

Reactions: lcmazza

Top Liked Posts