Wireless charging Orb

Search This thread
M

mr2324jgf

When this drops, will you be looking to purchase it? I think I'll probably get it if it's under $30 bucks... I'm hoping it's much cheaper but trying to have realistic expectations. Unless they've revolutionized how fast it will charge, induction charging is more for novelty IMHO, but no less... What do you think?

G405T

Dec 9, 2011
Definitely

When this drops, will you be looking to purchase it? I think I'll probably get it if it's under $30 bucks... I'm hoping it's much cheaper but trying to have realistic expectations. Unless they've revolutionized how fast it will charge, induction charging is more for novelty IMHO, but no less... What do you think?

Honestly, Ill be paying whatever they ask (within reason!) to get the charging orb; sounds like an amazing toy.. and Honestly, it does sound like a real convenience to me *imagines grabbing phone from bed in morning*

Also, if charging IS slower, I generally charge overnight anyway :laugh:

M

mr2324jgf

Honestly, Ill be paying whatever they ask (within reason!) to get the charging orb; sounds like an amazing toy.. and Honestly, it does sound like a real convenience to me *imagines grabbing phone from bed in morning*

Also, if charging IS slower, I generally charge overnight anyway :laugh:

true, same here... i'd probably set it on the table by my chair TBH... my phone just lays there anyways, it could be charging that whole time, really. What's your top dollar though... really?

G405T

Dec 9, 2011
true, same here... i'd probably set it on the table by my chair TBH... my phone just lays there anyways, it could be charging that whole time, really. What's your top dollar though... really?

I guess I would probably spend up to about £60 (just under $100); but I really hope it doesn't cost that much, there will be other compatible Qi chargers if there are not any already

Knolly

Oct 18, 2010
I hacked my Galaxy Nexus to work with a Palm Touchstone and I can never go back. I have one at home and at the office, they're both really convenient. So yes, I'll be grabbing two for sure.

vido.ardes

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 22, 2008
UK
I'm looking to get two of these, one for home and one for work. I hope they aren't too expensive, but I won't hold my breath. Then again, if you'd told me the NExus 4 would be £240, I'd have laughed.

frigidazzi

Apr 21, 2011
Nexus Player
OnePlus 5
Is anyone else excited about the possibility of finally being able to buy a good universal car dock with wireless charging and not having to buy a new one now on with new phones (assuming that the new phones start coming with wireless charging) ?

wikimee

Jul 4, 2012
Wireless charging future

Imagine one day in future where universal wireless charging orb is a standard on every office desk. Can't wait for that day to come.

J

Jake_HT

Can't imagine them pricing it too high, judging by the price of the nexus 4 itself, I'd imagine the wireless charger will be priced what it's truly worth, probably around $20.

If it were apple selling it, it'd be $100 :silly:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hey guys not sure if anyone has said this yet but you can charge the phone with the orb when it's off without doing any weird trickery. Turn the phone off. Put it on the Orb. Hold down the power button like you're trying to turn it on and the battery icon should pop up instead of the phone booting up.
    List of Qi Charger

The following is list of charger that conform to Qi charging standard (that I know of):

- (Hitachi) Maxell AirVoltage WP-PD10 (rebranded as Energizer Dual Inductive Charger)
    - (Hitachi) Maxell AirVoltage WP-PD10S (rebranded as Energizer Single Inductive Charger)
    - (Hitachi) Maxell AirVoltage WP-QIST10
    - Panasonic Chargepad (QE-TM101)
    - LG WCP-700 Qi Charger
    - Zens Wireless Single Charger
    - Zens Wireless Dual Charger
    - Nokia FatBoy Pillow
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Qi12, a.k.a Nokia charging plate (for Lumia 920 and 820)
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Q9 Single Charger
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Q100 Single Charger
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Q200 Dual Charger
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Q300 Dual Charger
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Qi300 Single Charger
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Qi400 Dual Charger
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Qi500 Dual Charger
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Qi600 Single Charger
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Solar Wireless Charger (dual charger)
    - upcoming Nexus 4 Charging Orb

Qi Charger with additional function
    - JBL PowerUp Speaker (speaker with NFC Auto Pairing function)
    - upcoming TDK Wireless Charging Cube (speaker with NFC Auto Pairing function)
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Wireless Charger with Bluetooth speaker
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Wireless Charging Table

Other Wireless Charging Standard:
    - Duracell Powermat (and the original Powermat) is using different wireless charging standard and NOT compatible with Qi standard.
    - Palm Touchstone charger also NOT compatible with either Qi or Powermat standard.

Hope it helps...
    just a quick unboxing...

F6YhSMLD

3MhqP7iO

iNuBC9Au

without a case and just a screen protector on the back, the dock has to be "pried" off because it sticks so well. no motion or movement at all. i can lift the phone up, and the dock still sticks. i feel a very small amount of magnetism, but it is held on primarily because of the "gel" like rings. no info on the rate of charge, as my phone was fully charged when i received the orb.
    As someone else has posted already, I also put a touchstone coil in my Galaxy Nexus as well as replacing the iron discs with some tiny rare earth magnets (neodymium) and I too feel compelled to spread the gospel that if you haven't had the privilege of using integrated ( not those adapters) inductive charging then you need to before deciding it's useless. I don't think I could go back to anything without it now. And no, the magnets/coil don't affect the compass/NFC capabilities.

Let me paint this picture for you: alarm goes off in the morning I sleepily reach over and rip my SGN off the rock steady touchstone and quiet that sucker down.. no unplugging a cable and letting it dangle behind the headboard where it'll be a PITA to retrieve later. Without looking I bring the phone reasonably close to the touchstone and the magnets do the rest, lining it up and locking it down. After I'm dressed, once again, just rip it right off the touchstone straight to my pocket and out the door. Get into my car, well what do you know?! I've got a touchstone mounted right next to the radio, just stick it right there, vertical or horizontal, and it's charging, playing music, and can be swiped up in the blink of an eye if I want... again, never thinking twice about plugging/unplugging. This continues at my desk of course. And then again at night where it sits there, almost levitating with the night mode alarm clock.

It's one of those conveniences that once you get used to, the "old" way just seems like a big hassle. The best analogy I can think of is the cars that have the keys that you can leave in your pocket all while locking/ unlocking/ starting/stopping. Once you get used to life where you just grab your grocery bags and go the idea of putting things down so you can fish in your pockets for your keys or hold them in your mouth is just so quaint. That's another thing I just never want to go back to, classic car keys (I'm including remote entry in that category too)
    Well there is a "sorta" video of it on Maxwells site (it isn't really a video video as more a flash movie of it) :-

http://www.maxellair.eu/air-voltage-home/

At the end of the day for me what matters is that it works. Higgsy did a great job of answering any questions I have so I don't need to see a vid. I would ideally love to buy the Google Orb I like the idea of the phone being slanted but that isn't an option. The only option open to me in the UK is the Maxwell Air Voltage so I am going with it now I know it works.

Heres a video, anyways only a quick one - there not much else to see lol. :good: