Ubuntu Touch [Discontinued]

Search This thread

Trevor Chuah

Apr 9, 2012
Hello

there must be some bug with the recovery in the pollux.zip device image. After i extracted the boot.img from the latest pollux.zip and flashed it the recvery doesnt boot up it stays at the sony logo, i think its a boot loop. I flashed the older boot.img and recovery works with no problem so i think thee is something wrong with the latest boot.img.

Do the builds get tested before release ?.

Author do not own a pollux himself, he has pollux_windy only. Therefore "tester" is required and let him know the bugs.
Don't blame him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mamenyaka

ZakMcRofl

Feb 10, 2007
I tried installing Ubuntu Touch on a Xperia Tablet Z Wifi. I could not
get it to work:

When I flash the boot.img from pollux_windy.zip and reboot (fastboot
flash boot boot.img; fastboot reboot) the tablet hangs showing only "SONY".

I then flashed CWM from the newest CyanogenMod and wiped everything.
After reflashing the "ubuntu"-boot.img "adb shell" at least shows a
ubuntu-busybox while the tablet still hangs at "SONY".

I tried sideloading the pollux_windy.zip and the
trusty-preinstalled-touch-armhf.zip as autodeploy.zip (not at the same
time, of course) and reboot but nothing happened.

If I use CWM to flash these files, the device still hangs at "SONY" but
"adb shell" gets me a "root@ubuntu-phablet"-shell -- which is an
improvement but not what I was looking for, I want a GUI

I have had success in reflashing the stock using Emma, so I think that I
can be pretty sure that the bootloader is unlocked.

Am I missing a step? Am I doing something wrong?

Regards,
ZakMcRofl

Reactions: mamenyaka

mamenyaka

Jan 30, 2013
I tried installing Ubuntu Touch on a Xperia Tablet Z Wifi. I could not
get it to work:

When I flash the boot.img from pollux_windy.zip and reboot (fastboot
flash boot boot.img; fastboot reboot) the tablet hangs showing only "SONY".

I then flashed CWM from the newest CyanogenMod and wiped everything.
After reflashing the "ubuntu"-boot.img "adb shell" at least shows a
ubuntu-busybox while the tablet still hangs at "SONY".

I tried sideloading the pollux_windy.zip and the
trusty-preinstalled-touch-armhf.zip as autodeploy.zip (not at the same
time, of course) and reboot but nothing happened.

If I use CWM to flash these files, the device still hangs at "SONY" but
"adb shell" gets me a "root@ubuntu-phablet"-shell -- which is an
improvement but not what I was looking for, I want a GUI

I have had success in reflashing the stock using Emma, so I think that I
can be pretty sure that the bootloader is unlocked.

Am I missing a step? Am I doing something wrong?

Regards,
ZakMcRofl

This is really odd. If you get to as far as having an adb shell, then it means the device image is ok. Maybe they changed something with the ubuntu image, I will check it out as soon as I can. Until then, could you check the logcat and dmesg for me? Thank you for all the trouble!

EDIT:
I tried with newest 20131207 Ubuntu image, everything works great! I updated the OP with a few extra details on how to install and I will upload a new device image.

Last edited:

ZakMcRofl

Feb 10, 2007
This is really odd. If you get to as far as having an adb shell, then it means the device image is ok. Maybe they changed something with the ubuntu image, I will check it out as soon as I can. Until then, could you check the logcat and dmesg for me? Thank you for all the trouble!

EDIT:
I tried with newest 20131207 Ubuntu image, everything works great! I updated the OP with a few extra details on how to install and I will upload a new device image.

Using the pollux_windy.zip dated 07-Dec, I succeeded in installing Ubuntu on the device. So I guess the old version was somehow broken.
But it is very hard / impossible to use, for example the terminal only opens on half the screen and the keyboard is barely working.
Is there a recommended build (I used the latest nightly).

Thank you,
Regards

mamenyaka

Jan 30, 2013
Using the pollux_windy.zip dated 07-Dec, I succeeded in installing Ubuntu on the device. So I guess the old version was somehow broken.
But it is very hard / impossible to use, for example the terminal only opens on half the screen and the keyboard is barely working.
Is there a recommended build (I used the latest nightly).

Thank you,
Regards

Thank you for trying it out! Sadly, this is the latest and greatest, so recommended build is always the latest. I really hope they will fix the keyboard issue.
The terminal (and other apps too) only open in the so called Side Stage (multitasking), but you can make them start in fullscreen if you edit usr/share/click/preinstalled/com.ubuntu.terminal/0.5.29/ubuntu-terminal-app.desktop

change
X-Ubuntu-StageHint=SideStage
to
X-Ubuntu-StageHint=MainStage

ZakMcRofl

Feb 10, 2007
Thank you for trying it out! Sadly, this is the latest and greatest, so recommended build is always the latest. I really hope they will fix the keyboard issue.
The terminal (and other apps too) only open in the so called Side Stage (multitasking), but you can make them start in fullscreen if you edit usr/share/click/preinstalled/com.ubuntu.terminal/0.5.29/ubuntu-terminal-app.desktop

change
X-Ubuntu-StageHint=SideStage
to
X-Ubuntu-StageHint=MainStage

Thanks, your help and work is very appreciated. Would you agree that this is a very rough alpha at best? I cannot even register or login to a Ubuntu One account, whenever I start tying it jumps back into Account Adding mode.

Also if I open 4 apps, go to the Recent Apps view, hold one of them, an X pops up on all four of them for closing it, but I can only click the first one and then it crashes.

I think I severely misjudged the state this project is it. Would you mind posting on the first post under "Not working" "A lot of small things, the operating system is barely operable for now".

I can make a video if it would actually help you but it is hard to tell if these are Ubuntu Touch bugs or migration bugs.

Also is it normal that I can only launch Ubuntu Touch once and after the next reboot hanging at the Sony logo (reflashed twice now with similar results).

Last edited:

mamenyaka

Jan 30, 2013
Thanks, your help and work is very appreciated. Would you agree that this is a very rough alpha at best? I cannot even register or login to a Ubuntu One account, whenever I start tying it jumps back into Account Adding mode.

Also if I open 4 apps, go to the Recent Apps view, hold one of them, an X pops up on all four of them for closing it, but I can only click the first one and then it crashes.

I think I severely misjudged the state this project is it. Would you mind posting on the first post under "Not working" "A lot of small things, the operating system is barely operable for now".

I can make a video if it would actually help you but it is hard to tell if these are Ubuntu Touch bugs or migration bugs.

Also is it normal that I can only launch Ubuntu Touch once and after the next reboot hanging at the Sony logo (reflashed twice now with similar results).

Thank you for taking your time to review Ubuntu Touch, but I think you are a bit too harsh. I know it has it's flaws, but for me it works quite well. This project is about porting Ubuntu Touch, not about making it an usable operating system (this is subjective), so I am more worried about if you report that WiFi is not working, or the touchscreen is not responsive, or if the audio is not working.
Things are constantly changing (I will push out a new update soon) and they might fix and break some things at the smae time. So I am really sorry that it crashes for you and you can't sign in to your Ubuntu One account, but this is to be expected. It's up to the guys at Ubuntu to fix all the issues and as I said, things change constantly, so tomorrow's build might be more stable.

About the alpha-beta issue: it's a beta because most things work (and by things I mean screen, adb, WiFi, sound, click apps - you can install and run them,not judging their quality)

Reactions: r1ntse

mars83

Feb 1, 2010
Wrocław
I was wondering if anyone tried it with XTZ which has LTE radio. Does it work? From what I can see Ubuntu here can work as daily ROM ;)

mars83

Feb 1, 2010
Wrocław
Then your blind :eek:

Far away from daily use. YET.

But when they push their first Phone on the market, then they improve very fast. I hope.

From what I see most of things works quite well :p Of course it's not perfect but there is no support from Sony + not many people are developing Ubuntu so for me it's quite alright :p

zeus2602

Dec 31, 2010
Wels
From what I see most of things works quite well :p Of course it's not perfect but there is no support from Sony + not many people are developing Ubuntu so for me it's quite alright :p

That`s the problem, most people don`t understand the meaning of alpha and beta releases. So they test it, get disappointed, and never give Ubuntu touch another try.

So it is important to say: Today it is still not for daily use. Especially when you think you get nearly the same functionality like android.

enkidu70

Nov 9, 2012
Installing Ubuntu on a stock device - what steps are to to?

Hi all,

I am new to Sony devices, esp. to Tablet Z. My base OS for my Desktop PCs is Linuxmint (Ubuntu derivat). So the idea is very close to install Ubuntu on that tablet! :)

The tablet is still stock but rooted. What do I have to do to get Ubuntu on it? (If Ubuntu works, I have no need for dual boot or something like that...)

Tnx in advance,
Enkidu

mamenyaka

Jan 30, 2013
Hi all,

I am new to Sony devices, esp. to Tablet Z. My base OS for my Desktop PCs is Linuxmint (Ubuntu derivat). So the idea is very close to install Ubuntu on that tablet! :)

The tablet is still stock but rooted. What do I have to do to get Ubuntu on it? (If Ubuntu works, I have no need for dual boot or something like that...)

Tnx in advance,
Enkidu

You can install Ubuntu Touch as described in the OP, but that's very different from the linux on your desktop. If you want to install native linux on your tablet (same as your desktop linux), you should check this thread

EDIT (general info): The Ubuntu Touch guys released their dual-boot solution, so if everything goes right, it will soon come to our tablet!

Last edited:

enkidu70

Nov 9, 2012
You can install Ubuntu Touch as described in the OP

That's why I have written that I have no experience with Sony. There is written
Reboot into fastboot
* Flash boot.img extracted from device image - fastboot flash boot boot.img
* Reboot - fastboot reboot
* Enter recovery mode (press Volume Up when LED changes colour)
* BACKUP
* Wipe data/factory reset
* Flash device image
* Flash ubuntu image - trusty-preinstalled-touch-armhf.zip
* Reboot

???

As far as I know on my device is even no recovery image... How do I extract boot.img... ecc...

What software do I need ecc?

but that's very different from the linux on your desktop.

The aim is just to be able to use Libreoffice, Thunderbird, Firefox, NFS... Look and feel of a tablet is ok.

If you want to install native linux on your tablet (same as your desktop linux), you should check this thread

Well, seems not to be what I want...

The Ubuntu Touch guys released their dual-boot solution, so if everything goes right, it will soon come to our tablet!

I am a bit confused. I thought this is the thread concerning Ubuntu touch on Tablet Z???

Cheers,
Enkidu

Last edited:

mamenyaka

Jan 30, 2013
1. How do I extract boot.img...

2. The aim is just to be able to use Libreoffice, Thunderbird, Firefox, NFS... Look and feel of a tablet is ok.

3. I am a bit confused. I thought this is the thread concerning Ubuntu touch on Tablet Z???

Cheers,
Enkidu

1) You can extract the boot.img by opening the downloaded .zip, selecting the file "boot.img" and clicking "extract".
2) There is no LibreOffice, Firefox, etc yet on Ubuntu Touch, but you have basic Browser and Email. A list of all apps can be found here
3) Officially, Ubuntu Touch is only available for the Nexus devices, but it can be ported to other devices too, like our tablet. This thread is about my port of Ubuntu Touch to the Tablet Z.

To install Ubuntu Touch, you need two images: device image and the ubuntu image. (like android with the ROM and the gapps)
A port provides the device image, which is different for every device and the guys at ubuntu provide the ubuntu image, which is the same for everything (even between tablets and phones).
The ubuntu image contains all the apps and UI and stuff, while the device image contains the kernel, drivers, etc.

Reactions: enkidu70

Trevor Chuah

Apr 9, 2012
That's why I have written that I have no experience with Sony. There is written

???

As far as I know on my device is even no recovery image... How do I extract boot.img... ecc...

What software do I need ecc?

The aim is just to be able to use Libreoffice, Thunderbird, Firefox, NFS... Look and feel of a tablet is ok.

Well, seems not to be what I want...

I am a bit confused. I thought this is the thread concerning Ubuntu touch on Tablet Z???

Cheers,
Enkidu

This Ubuntu Touch is not able to use LibreOffice, Thunderbird and NFS(Need for Speed?).
The Ubuntu Touch only aim for the tablet usage.

And yes, this thread is concerning Ubuntu Touch on Tablet Z, and Canonical is launching a Dual Boot solution for Android devices, therefore OP is going to include it here (and Why Not?):).

About the extracting boot.img,
kindly:
1) Click the Device Image from Post 1
2) In the webpage, download either Pollux / Pollux_Windy (Pollux: LTE. Pollux_Windy: WiFi)
3) After download completed, open the zip file, the boot.img is at the root directory.
4) Just extract the boot.img and located it to your desired directory (wherever you want)
5) You will need fastboot, try google how to install fastboot on ubuntu (your linux Mint)
6) then just follow the instruction.
7) type fastboot flash boot XXX
8) after entering Recovery, everything is simple, just like the instruction.

enkidu70

Nov 9, 2012
2) There is no LibreOffice, Firefox, etc yet on Ubuntu Touch
This Ubuntu Touch is not able to use LibreOffice, Thunderbird

Tnx for your detailed explanations. If there is no LibreOffice and no Thunderbird, it makes no sense for me to install it.

So I keep using the tablet just as X or VNC client. (I thought I can get rid of this by having a real Ubuntu on it... :( )

NFS(Need for Speed?)

No... ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_File_System

I have a Linuxmint based fileserver. NFS is the more reliable protocol compared to Windows SMB if you want to connect using a linux(unix system.

Cheers,
Enkidu

hav0c

Dec 14, 2005
Amsterdam
I will receive my Xperia Z LTE tomorrow and this is one of the first things I will flash on it! Would be great to have dual boot Android (because of the number of apps) Let's hope that get's sorted soon. Thanks for your work!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    For pollux, pollux_windy

*** Disclamer
    This is an experimental port, MAKE A BACKUP of your files before you continue.
    I am not responsible if you brick your device, but I will try to help you if things go wrong.

Introduction
    First of all, I would like to thank XDA for the amazing Tablet Z Competition and the XDA Tablet Z contest judges for choosing my project proposal.

What is Ubuntu Touch?

Our device on the ubuntu wiki: pollux
    Our device on GitHub

Video

Images
    DSC01933_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

DSC01934_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

DSC01936_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Installation instructions
    • In fastboot mode, flash boot.img - contains kernel and recovery
      Code:
      $ fastboot flash boot boot.img
      $ fastboot reboot
    • In recovery mode, flash the device image and the ubuntu image with rootstock-ng
      Code:
      $ bzr branch lp:project-rootstock-ng
      $ project-rootstock-ng/rootstock-touch-install 14.09-preinstalled-touch-armhf.tar.gz system.img

Download

Changelog
    Working:
    Code:
    [LIST]
    [*]adb
    [*]Display
    [*]Touchscreen
    [*]WiFi
    [*]Sound
    [*]Video
    [*]Apps
    [/LIST]

Not working:

Code:
    [LIST]
    [*]Rotation
    [*]Camera
    [/LIST]

NOTE: Ubuntu Touch itself is still under heavy development and I cannot list all the flaws it has, since that is daily changing.
    Please be aware that applications may not work as expected but the scope of this project is only the porting, not the actual operating system!

FAQ
    * How to go back to stock?
    Reboot into recovery. Wipe data/factory reset. Restore your backup. Reboot into flashmode and flash (with FlashTool) the kernel (kernel.sin only) from your .tft file (without wiping anything). Reboot.

* Installation stuck on "unpacking rootfs tarball to system-image ..."
    Free up some space on the device.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Ubuntu Touch, ROM for the Sony Xperia Tablet Z

Contributors
    mamenyaka, ciderwein, diwic, jdstrand, jjohansen, ogra, w-flo
    Source Code: https://github.com/mamenyaka?tab=repositories

ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod, AOSP

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 5
    Beta Release Date: 2014-09-24

Created 2013-09-05
    Last Updated 2016-02-10
    Guys!
    I just want to let you know, that even though we got a competition under way which is coming to an end, I will NOT stop development for this project!
    Ubuntu Touch has just yet started! I am hoping that the flipped image marks the start of what this concept truly wants to be:
    Smartphone and desktop PC in one device

If you would like to show your support for this project, just head over to Xperia Tablet Z General section, where you can find details on how to vote.
    Thank you!
    So, Xperia Tablet Z WiFi is now official?

No, but this means that they are not abandoning the ports entirely, so I hope I can build a new version soon.
    WiFi fixed, fully working!
    Uploading... Done.
    Guys! I just made a quick video, check it out!