[Image] How TINY dead pixels would look like on your Z1 - Try it yourself!

Search This thread

Hermantje

May 22, 2012
Groningen
hugehog.blogspot.com
EDIT: I added an image [1920x1080] in post #8 below for you to see how tiny two adjacent dead pixels would look on the Z1's super dense display

The Sony Xperia Z1 has a 1080p display. That's 1920x1080 pixels. That makes the display carry a total of 2,073,600 pixels.
I somehow managed to find the two dead pixels that were who-knows how long already there. two, out of more than 2 million.
The chances of looking at one random pixel and finding one of these two dead ones are literally less than one in a million.

I couldn't take a photograph of my dead pixels without using the reverse lens mounting technique to make a regular lens work as a macro lens.
Only then was I able to snap this particular photograph. Oh, and while we're on the topic of displays, just look at how the blacks are really black - you can't see any dimmed pixels, it just looks black!

Whispering: "I see dead pixels" by Herman Groenbroek, on Flickr
As another side note: the two dead pixels are smaller than the average piece of dust. For reference, there's an actual piece of dust just out of focus in the upper left part of the Album App in my photograph.

76fb9889a0af5b546e747bfafaf09148

Last edited:
Reactions: satvik7star

negrobembon

Jul 17, 2011
panamá
I have a stuck one on my tablet Z

But its only noticeable on black, its a red dot

Of course a lone red dot on a 10 inch display doesn't bother me one bit

But if it was on my Z1 then I'd go crazy-male-*****-mode(only for a few seconds then i suck it up)

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

zegun

Jul 6, 2012
being slight of an OCD could bother me
h7D3A195A

but being that tiny... i might even forget it myself sooner or later

Reactions: Miustone

aimfire72

Nov 26, 2010
San Jose
Yeah would drive me nuts, lol. Just got my Z1 last week and was first thing I checked, luckily no dead pixels.

I remember not so long ago, dead pixels were more common. Last few phones I bought were OK. I seem to have worse luck with tablets. :/

mm79k

Jul 15, 2006
The first moment I switched on my Z1 I have noticed 2-3 dead pixels. Next day I got a replacement

Tonian1878

Nov 12, 2013
id be mad.

i had the tiniest bit of dirt under my ipad screen 2 weeks after i got it. couldnt see it without holding the ipad right up to my face. i still got Apple to replace it.

as one of the pics points out. once seen it cant be unseen.

Hermantje

May 22, 2012
Groningen
hugehog.blogspot.com
id be mad.

i had the tiniest bit of dirt under my ipad screen 2 weeks after i got it. couldnt see it without holding the ipad right up to my face. i still got Apple to replace it.

as one of the pics points out. once seen it cant be unseen.

It cannot be unseen, but the fact is, the pixel density is so high that you really cannot see the two pixels from normal distance.
Try it yourself: grab an image of 1920x1080 pixels and make two pixels black. Then view it on your Xperia Z1.
It is really difficult to see. It's much smaller than the average piece of dust, which is already tiny.

Hermantje

May 22, 2012
Groningen
hugehog.blogspot.com
Here's a test image if you want to know what two dead pixels would look like.
I made a white image of 1920x1080 with two dead pixels linked (much like my two dead pixels on the Z1) somewhere in the image. Try to find it on your PC first, then transfer it to your Z1.
Now, try holding your phone at normal reading distance. See how tiny the two pixels are? They're really tiny.

The funny thing is, this is the 'optimal' condition for the pixels to be visible, since there is never more contrast between the dead pixels and the image than this black and white image. You can guess yourself how invisible these pixels would be if there's a regular image showing on the display.

EDIT: Added QR-Code
[QRCODE]http://dl.xda-developers.com/attach...01/532341f5/2/6/3/0/7/6/4/Dead_pixel_test.jpg[/QRCODE]
(I don't know what causes that weird URL artifact. At least the QR code is there...)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT: I added an image [1920x1080] in post #8 below for you to see how tiny two adjacent dead pixels would look on the Z1's super dense display

The Sony Xperia Z1 has a 1080p display. That's 1920x1080 pixels. That makes the display carry a total of 2,073,600 pixels.
    I somehow managed to find the two dead pixels that were who-knows how long already there. two, out of more than 2 million.
    The chances of looking at one random pixel and finding one of these two dead ones are literally less than one in a million.

I couldn't take a photograph of my dead pixels without using the reverse lens mounting technique to make a regular lens work as a macro lens.
    Only then was I able to snap this particular photograph. Oh, and while we're on the topic of displays, just look at how the blacks are really black - you can't see any dimmed pixels, it just looks black!

Whispering: "I see dead pixels" by Herman Groenbroek, on Flickr
    As another side note: the two dead pixels are smaller than the average piece of dust. For reference, there's an actual piece of dust just out of focus in the upper left part of the Album App in my photograph.

76fb9889a0af5b546e747bfafaf09148
    being slight of an OCD could bother me
    h7D3A195A

but being that tiny... i might even forget it myself sooner or later