[Q] TWRP/Nandroid question

Search This thread

joshsmit07

Mar 25, 2009
AR
Hi, I'm not exactly new to XDA, however my Note is my first real Android phone. My question is this: If I want to make a backup of the entire phone, so that I can install a new ROM, then restore the phone to exactly the way it was before I installed said ROM, what do I need to select to back up in TWRP? I'm wanting to play with the Lolipop build for i717. I already have a good EFS backup stored separately just in case, so I need to select System, Data, and Boot, and this will save the kernel and the ROM contents, correct? ...and when I restore this backup it will be just like I left it, right?

Also, what do I need to select to Wipe to perform a 'Full Wipe' as is recommended before install?

Thanks for your time.
-josh

Hi, I'm not exactly new to XDA, however my Note is my first real Android phone. My question is this: If I want to make a backup of the entire phone, so that I can install a new ROM, then restore the phone to exactly the way it was before I installed said ROM, what do I need to select to back up in TWRP? I'm wanting to play with the Lolipop build for i717. I already have a good EFS backup stored separately just in case, so I need to select System, Data, and Boot, and this will save the kernel and the ROM contents, correct? ...and when I restore this backup it will be just like I left it, right?

Also, what do I need to select to Wipe to perform a 'Full Wipe' as is recommended before install?

Thanks for your time.
-josh

Use gimmeitorilltell's version of twrp as some specifics have not made it to official version. I've had great results using 2.8.0.0 though I believe some newer versions are working now as well. I backup android secure as well. Not sure if this is necessary, it was the default setting. Wipe is generally accepted as factory reset usually followed by going to advanced wipe and checking cache, and dalvik cache and wiping these again. Then install your new rom zip, gapps zip if required, wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot. First boot will take a long time. Possibly as long as 5 minutes or more. Once booted let rom settle for at least 10 minutes before adjusting any settings. Good luck.
Edit: Your backed up rom system will restore everything back to the way it was if you desire to go back (installed apps and settings as well).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717

Last edited:
Reactions: joshsmit07

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks for your time.
    -josh

Use gimmeitorilltell's version of twrp as some specifics have not made it to official version. I've had great results using 2.8.0.0 though I believe some newer versions are working now as well. I backup android secure as well. Not sure if this is necessary, it was the default setting. Wipe is generally accepted as factory reset usually followed by going to advanced wipe and checking cache, and dalvik cache and wiping these again. Then install your new rom zip, gapps zip if required, wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot. First boot will take a long time. Possibly as long as 5 minutes or more. Once booted let rom settle for at least 10 minutes before adjusting any settings. Good luck.
    Edit: Your backed up rom system will restore everything back to the way it was if you desire to go back (installed apps and settings as well).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717