Is Rooting a loss?

Search This thread

King Cole

Jun 26, 2012
Boston, MA
I... Don't know what a train smash is, but on a typical phone, you lose nothing by rooting.

The Xperia Z2 is somewhat different in that, due to having no root exploits released so far, you must first unlock the bootloader and install a custom kernal in order to root. The process of unlocking wipes all data from the phone. Also, you'll lose your DRM keys, which are (arguably) not important, but will lose access to Sony Unlimited Video and Music, as well as void your warranty (but only if someone bothers to check it extensively, which likely they won't).

RedSkyRoad

Nov 11, 2010
Johannesburg
I... Don't know what a train smash is, but on a typical phone, you lose nothing by rooting.

The Xperia Z2 is somewhat different in that, due to having no root exploits released so far, you must first unlock the bootloader and install a custom kernal in order to root. The process of unlocking wipes all data from the phone. Also, you'll lose your DRM keys, which are (arguably) not important, but will lose access to Sony Unlimited Video and Music, as well as void your warranty (but only if someone bothers to check it extensively, which likely they won't).

Are the DRM keys the only thing that is irreplaceable?

Last edited:

misiakr

Jan 30, 2011
I wouldn't root this phone, as it is by far, my most faulty device I have ever had. Now I got my third device...

Wysłane z mojego D6503 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Last edited:

Envious_Data

Oct 12, 2012
Imagination
enviousmedia.design
DRM keys are lost yes. But they don't affect anything like on previous Sony devices. Bootloader unlocked and everything will work just as before.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Yes correct to all xperias with 4.4 KK
Data is wiped with a couple and some not

Hey,

What exactly do I loose when I unlock and root my device? Is is a train smash?

Regards,

Nothing is lost besides DRM keys, your warrenty/garentee
(xreality and xperia services still work)

And the contents of you internal storage as your data is wiped when you unlock

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

RedSkyRoad

Nov 11, 2010
Johannesburg
Thanks guys.

Personally I don't want to root the phone cause the stock ROM is just fine for me. I need some suggestions to get alternatives to root apps like Titanium Backup, etc.

paras

Apr 15, 2007
Thanks guys.

Personally I don't want to root the phone cause the stock ROM is just fine for me. I need some suggestions to get alternatives to root apps like Titanium Backup, etc.

I would suggest not to root as u won't get allot but loose warranty etc.Some root apps now work with non root phones like greenify which is awesome.U can try that.

Sent From My Sony Xperia Z2 D6502 White .402

Reactions: RedSkyRoad

misiakr

Jan 30, 2011
Guys, do you have any idea when or if it will be possible to root Xperia without unlocking bootloader?

RedSkyRoad

Nov 11, 2010
Johannesburg
If they get the TA Backup thing sorted for the Z2, will that mean that I can go ahead and root then restore to factory as if nothing happened?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Are the DRM keys the only thing that is irreplaceable?

DRM keys are lost yes. But they don't affect anything like on previous Sony devices. Bootloader unlocked and everything will work just as before.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    Thanks guys.

I would suggest not to root as u won't get allot but loose warranty etc.Some root apps now work with non root phones like greenify which is awesome.U can try that.

Sent From My Sony Xperia Z2 D6502 White .402