Nexus 7 Bootloader does not respond to buttons when plugged into USB bootloader bugs

Search This thread

jbdubbs

May 17, 2008
Lansing
Making this thread because it's an extremely common problem and there are 4 terribly named threads about it that are difficult to search.

The Nexus 7 stock bootloader 3.34 has a couple bugs:

1. When booting to fastboot with any sort of USB plugged in, your buttons on the side may not respond. In this case, pull the cable and hold down power + Vol Down until it reboots. The buttons should now respond and you can plug USB back in if you wish.

2. The bootloader has problems booting to recovery. It might hang at the Google screen. In this case, get back into the bootloader, connect to a computer and

> fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.1.0-grouper.img

then use the buttons to boot into recovery. Don't worry, your nandroids are safe.

Why does this stuff happen? Called the Google Nexus Support line and they're aware of the bug in the bootloader. Until this is fixed, don't flash strange ROMs without a computer nearby to get you out of a soft-brick situation.

BE AWARE that if you flash back to stock from the Google image after getting back into recovery, the next time you boot up, your recovery will be GONE. Try to flash a stock image from XDA instead that doesn't overwrite the recovery and save yourself a headache.

That is all.

Thanks.

VultureV1

Mar 29, 2012
hockey !
All hail jbdubbs

Making this thread because it's an extremely common problem and there are 4 terribly named threads about it that are difficult to search.

1. When booting to fastboot with any sort of USB plugged in, your buttons on the side may not respond. In this case, pull the cable and hold down power + Vol Down until it reboots. The buttons should now respond and you can plug USB back in if you wish.
2. The bootloader has problems booting to recovery. It might hang at the Google screen. In this case, get back into the bootloader, connect to a computer and

then use the buttons to boot into recovery. Don't worry, your nandroids are safe.

Why does this stuff happen? Called the Google Nexus Support line and they're aware of the bug in the bootloader. Until this is fixed, don't flash strange ROMs without a computer nearby to get you out of a soft-brick situation.

BE AWARE that if you flash back to stock from the Google image after getting back into recovery, the next time you boot up, your recovery will be GONE. Try to flash a stock image from XDA instead that doesn't overwrite the recovery and save yourself a headache.

That is all.

Thanks.

i thank you deeply for getting rid of my worries :D , THANK YOU THANK YOU . I THOUGHT I LOST MY BABY :8 YOU GOT BACK MA HOPE :D

joseph_gee

Jul 13, 2009
I have bootloader 3.34 and a softbrick. I booted without the USB connected, went to recovery and it hangs. So I was going to flash the recovery, but when I plug the USB in, after I have already booted into the bootloader with the buttons working, everything seem to freeze. My command prompt just says "waiting for device."
When I unplug it, it does not response anymore until i restart it without the USB.

Jolest

I have bootloader 3.34 and a softbrick. I booted without the USB connected, went to recovery and it hangs. So I was going to flash the recovery, but when I plug the USB in, after I have already booted into the bootloader with the buttons working, everything seem to freeze. My command prompt just says "waiting for device."
When I unplug it, it does not response anymore until i restart it without the USB.

Same problem here... Plus, I just flashed a new kernel and now can't get the recovery -or- Android to boot. Trying to run recovery just sits on the startup screen with the unlocked padlock and does nothing. For android, it has been sitting on the Android boot-animation screen for over two hours.

So:
1. Can't connect to PC with bootloader.
2. Can't boot recovery.
3. Can't boot Android.

Any suggestions other than buy a new Nexus-7? :crying:

joseph_gee

Jul 13, 2009

I solved my own problem. I just uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers on my computer using mskip's toolkit

Oct 3, 2012
Problems with bootloader and fastboot

I'm having a problem with this step...

the problem is that whenever the USB cable is plugged in, the buttons don't navigate through the options.
however, whenever the usb is NOT plugged in (and rebooted bootloader) the button work just fine.

I don't have a recovery currently installed.
The issue is not with drivers on the computer, happens while usb plugged in both windows and linux or simply just plugged into a wall outlet to charge.

I need to get into fastboot but i'm having this issue with the bootloader (corrupted?).

any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

That is all.

Thanks.