Successfully rebranding Chinese COL-AL10 to European COL-L29: report

Search This thread

mrspeccy

Dec 19, 2016
Copenhagen
Dear community,

I recently bought a Honor 10 (AL-10 C00) with 6GB RAM and 128 GB flash memory from China. Since I did not want to use Chinese apps and some of these were really resistant to my attempts to remove them (like the voice search attached to the home button), I researched xda-developers quite extensively for ways to rebrand the phone to a European version (more precisely, L29 C432). In particular, I read the tutorials made for "related" models such as P10, P20, Mate 10, Honor 9, and HonorView 10.

In detail, my plan was to move from firmware COL-AL10 8.1.0.139 (C00GT) to firmware COL-L29 8.1.0.131 (C432), noting that the L29 firmware had a somewhat lower version number than the AL10 but was the most recent available at the time of trying the rebranding. My concern was therefore that the rebranding might brick the phone similarly to what was observed on the Mate 10 (https://xdaforums.com/mate-10/how-to/discussion-hard-brick-infos-t3789044). Fortunately, the xloader-check tool from https://xdaforums.com/mate-10/how-to/beware-bla-l29c432b147-t3817241 displayed "02 XLOADER" for both firmwares, so I decided to proceed.

I obtained all firmware files using HuaweiFirmwareFinder (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teammt.gmanrainy.huaweifirmwarefinder), paying attention to the fact that only full OTAs can be used for the branding. In the following description, I used 3 ZIP archives containing the L29 8.1.0.131 software, renamed to match the scheme "update.zip, update_data_public.zip and update_all_hw.zip".

My first attempt was to imitate the approach from the tutorial https://xdaforums.com/huawei-p20/how-to/rebrand-huawei-p20-eml-l29-eml-l09-t3779283 made for the P20. I followed the procedure with the following exceptions:

- Magisk and TWRP were already on the phone thanks to the tutorials from the Honor 10 section.

- I took the nocheck-recovery for the View 10 instead of the one for the P20, more precisely I installed "recovery_ramdisk_BKL-L04_nocheck.img" from https://xdaforums.com/honor-view-10/development/recovery-bkl-nocheck-recovery-flash-t3778085.

- In Step 17, I said ./oeminfo COL-L29 C432 hw/eu

(By the way, the oeminfo binary is a great tool that allows you to change only the relevant portions of your oeminfo partition related to model number etc. It keeps things such as IMEI intact, so that the bootloader unlock code does not change by the rebranding, contrary to FunkyHuawei's procedure, as it seems.)

After booting to nocheck-recovery, an EMUI update screen was shown and slowly counting up, but after a while an error message of the kind "Installation failed" popped up and forced me to make a factory reset. Still, the bootloader was unlocked afterwards and I could reflash TWRP. The state of the phone now was that it had rebranded oeminfo, an unlocked bootloader, a working TWRP but no real operating system.

The second and final attempt was to use HuRUpdater (https://xdaforums.com/honor-9/development/tool-flash-official-firmware-recovery-t3769279). I rebooted to Recovery, placed the 3 ZIP files and the HuRUpdater ZIP in the top directory of the internal memory (accessed via USB), chose "Install" with respect to the HuRUpdater ZIP, waited some minutes and saw the phone rebooting to EMUI 8.1 with many preinstalled Google apps. Success.

I think it should have been possible to skip the step using nocheck-recovery that failed anyway, provided that the oeminfo binary is executed from TWRP before flashing via HuRUpdater. Any further information would be helpful.

This morning, the firmware update COL-L29 8.1.0.143 (C432) arrived. I downloaded the full OTA and installed it via HuRUpdater as described above. The phone runs very smoothly so far. A scrreenshot of the "About phone" page is attached. Note the 6GB RAM that comes from the Chinese version.

I am happy to answer questions and would like to read more about your experiences with rebranding the Honor 10.

Attachments

• rebrand-honor10.jpg
    rebrand-honor10.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 4,860
Last edited:

miststudent2011

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 3, 2016
Dear community,

- In Step 17, I said ./oeminfo COL-29 C432 hw/eu

(By the way, the oeminfo binary is a great tool that allows you to change only the relevant portions of your oeminfo partition related to model number etc. It keeps things such as IMEI intact, so that the bootloader unlock code does not change by the rebranding, contrary to FunkyHuawei's procedure, as it seems.)

Can you share me the link to OEM info binary tool ?

May 31, 2018
Dear community,

(...)

The second and final attempt was to use HuRUpdater (https://xdaforums.com/honor-9/development/tool-flash-official-firmware-recovery-t3769279). I rebooted to Recovery, placed the 3 ZIP files and the HuRUpdater ZIP in the top directory of the internal memory (accessed via USB), chose "Install" with respect to the HuRUpdater ZIP, waited some minutes and saw the phone rebooting to EMUI 8.1 with many preinstalled Google apps. Success.

I think it should have been possible to skip the step using nocheck-recovery that failed anyway, provided that the oeminfo binary is executed from TWRP before flashing via HuRUpdater. Any further information would be helpful.

This morning, the firmware update COL-L29 8.1.0.143 (C432) arrived. I downloaded the full OTA and installed it via HuRUpdater as described above. The phone runs very smoothly so far. A scrreenshot of the "About phone" page is attached. Note the 6GB RAM that comes from the Chinese version.

I am happy to answer questions and would like to read more about your experiences with rebranding the Honor 10.

Hey, thanks a lot for this thread!
Soo I am about to maybe do the same as you did – would you suggest/think that just doing the second Part will do the trick for me?
Can't really tell if the first part contained something that's relevant for the second/final part to work.

Furthermore – did you encounter any issues yet, now that you've used the eu rom for a bit?
(And does your device show up as certified within the Play Store?)

Oh and of what I understood, you'll have to do OTA Updates manually?

Thanks again for the effort!

Last edited:

mrspeccy

Dec 19, 2016
Copenhagen
Hi,

if I were you, I would try only the "second part" involving HuRUpdater, but would make sure that the oeminfo partition is modified before HuRUpdater is called. What about the following:

1. You copy the zip files belonging to the update along with the oeminfo binary to the top of the sdcard
2. You boot into TWRP recovery and start a terminal. There you say:

mkdir /data/local/tmp
cp /sdcard/oeminfo /data/local/tmp
cd /data/local/tmp
chmod +x oeminfo
./oeminfo COL-L29 C432 hw/eu

3. You "install" the HuRUpdater zip from within TWRP.

If it fails, maybe make a factory reset and try again. Re-flashing TWRP might become necessary.

Regarding your questions: I have not experienced any issues with the EU ROM yet. The device passes Safetynet and is shown as certified in PlayStore (possibly thanks to Magisk, which I installed from TWRP, did not test it without). Magisk and TWRP are also the reason why I have to update manually. Huawei ROMs seem to deny OTA updates when a custom recovery and/or root are detected.

vampirian

Dec 9, 2011
Helsinki
OnePlus 7T Pro
Hi,

if I were you, I would try only the "second part" involving HuRUpdater, but would make sure that the oeminfo partition is modified before HuRUpdater is called. What about the following:

1. You copy the zip files belonging to the update along with the oeminfo binary to the top of the sdcard

mkdir /data/local/tmp
cd /data/local/tmp
chmod +x oeminfo

If it fails, maybe make a factory reset and try again. Re-flashing TWRP might become necessary.

Regarding your questions: I have not experienced any issues with the EU ROM yet. The device passes Safetynet and is shown as certified in PlayStore (possibly thanks to Magisk, which I installed from TWRP, did not test it without). Magisk and TWRP are also the reason why I have to update manually. Huawei ROMs seem to deny OTA updates when a custom recovery and/or root are detected.

Great. I can assure you that without magisk but stock recovery it passes safety net as well.

Reactions: miruim

miruim

Aug 23, 2006
Hi,

mkdir /data/local/tmp
cd /data/local/tmp
chmod +x oeminfo

I'm the same device and is annoying chinese stuff, but i have some fear to do that. I already have the unlock code, but did not unlocked yet.

tinguyen

Aug 27, 2017
Great find sir!!

Dear community,

I recently bought a Honor 10 (AL-10 C00) with 6GB RAM and 128 GB flash memory from China. Since I did not want to use Chinese apps and some of these were really resistant to my attempts to remove them (like the voice search attached to the home button), I researched xda-developers quite extensively for ways to rebrand the phone to a European version (more precisely, L29 C432). In particular, I read the tutorials made for "related" models such as P10, P20, Mate 10, Honor 9, and HonorView 10.

In detail, my plan was to move from firmware COL-AL10 8.1.0.139 (C00GT) to firmware COL-L29 8.1.0.131 (C432), noting that the L29 firmware had a somewhat lower version number than the AL10 but was the most recent available at the time of trying the rebranding. My concern was therefore that the rebranding might brick the phone similarly to what was observed on the Mate 10 (https://xdaforums.com/mate-10/how-to/discussion-hard-brick-infos-t3789044). Fortunately, the xloader-check tool from https://xdaforums.com/mate-10/how-to/beware-bla-l29c432b147-t3817241 displayed "02 XLOADER" for both firmwares, so I decided to proceed.

I obtained all firmware files using HuaweiFirmwareFinder (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teammt.gmanrainy.huaweifirmwarefinder), paying attention to the fact that only full OTAs can be used for the branding. In the following description, I used 3 ZIP archives containing the L29 8.1.0.131 software, renamed to match the scheme "update.zip, update_data_public.zip and update_all_hw.zip".

My first attempt was to imitate the approach from the tutorial https://xdaforums.com/huawei-p20/how-to/rebrand-huawei-p20-eml-l29-eml-l09-t3779283 made for the P20. I followed the procedure with the following exceptions:

- Magisk and TWRP were already on the phone thanks to the tutorials from the Honor 10 section.

- I took the nocheck-recovery for the View 10 instead of the one for the P20, more precisely I installed "recovery_ramdisk_BKL-L04_nocheck.img" from https://xdaforums.com/honor-view-10/development/recovery-bkl-nocheck-recovery-flash-t3778085.

After booting to nocheck-recovery, an EMUI update screen was shown and slowly counting up, but after a while an error message of the kind "Installation failed" popped up and forced me to make a factory reset. Still, the bootloader was unlocked afterwards and I could reflash TWRP. The state of the phone now was that it had rebranded oeminfo, an unlocked bootloader, a working TWRP but no real operating system.

Hi OP,

Is it possible if you could post a step to step procedure how you rebranded your phone. I have tried what you said but it turned my phone into a "beta" firmware with model number of "FTY-L29". Very weird. I have have missed something along the way now that I can't undo. If you could please help me out. Thank you very much.

Reactions: Jetlands

miststudent2011

Oct 3, 2016
Hi OP,

Is it possible if you could post a step to step procedure how you rebranded your phone. I have tried what you said but it turned my phone into a "beta" firmware with model number of "FTY-L29". Very weird. I have have missed something along the way now that I can't undo. If you could please help me out. Thank you very much.

Becareful , what was your previous build number and the firmware build number you tried to flash.
Can you also share more details asked in this thread .
https://xdaforums.com/honor-10/how-to/discussion-hard-brick-infos-t3824022

I hard bricked a device after flashing another firmware over this same build fty l09 after flashing one firmware.

tinguyen

Aug 27, 2017
Becareful , what was your previous build number and the firmware build number you tried to flash.
Can you also share more details asked in this thread .
https://xdaforums.com/honor-10/how-to/discussion-hard-brick-infos-t3824022

I hard bricked a device after flashing another firmware over this same build fty l09 after flashing one firmware.

I was in COL-AL10 like yours as well because I bought it from 3rd party site. Now I'm just waiting for someone to post a proper procedure of how to undo or install new firmware over the existing one. My phone is still usable but it's just not the right firmware that I wanted and its back to EMUI 5.1 too. zzzzzzz

fosterqaz11

Dec 2, 2014
Bangalore
I was in COL-AL10 like yours as well because I bought it from 3rd party site. Now I'm just waiting for someone to post a proper procedure of how to undo or install new firmware over the existing one. My phone is still usable but it's just not the right firmware that I wanted and its back to EMUI 5.1 too. zzzzzzz
5.1??

miststudent2011

Oct 3, 2016

Can you provide me build number before flash and build number you flashed they are important here to solve the case.

May 31, 2018
Great. I can assure you that without magisk but stock recovery it passes safety net as well.

Soo I just managed to rebrand my col-al10 to col-l29 (will share my whole experience soon).
But now it says my device is uncertified in the Play store (said so before Magisk & TWRP were installed and still says so, now that I've installed both and Magisk says SafetyNet is passed).
Any suggestions?

Johnson Chen

Aug 6, 2018
Soo I just managed to rebrand my col-al10 to col-l29 (will share my whole experience soon).
But now it says my device is uncertified in the Play store (said so before Magisk & TWRP were installed and still says so, now that I've installed both and Magisk says SafetyNet is passed).
Any suggestions?

Can you use Google Pay after rebanding to EU version?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear community,

Hi,

mkdir /data/local/tmp
    cd /data/local/tmp
    chmod +x oeminfo

There is nothing much in that link.
    If you have the same issue I can help you to solve the issue.
    Maybe nothing special, but it is a step by step solution to the problem, assembled into a single instruction.
    Could you share that for me? Because I have been using the executive file from the thread that you posted with no luck. After I did everything, I got the chipset boston 8.1 blah blah blah instead of Col-l29. I'm pretty sure I did everything accept I don't have the correct oeminfo i think. I am new to this rebranding thing so if I talk nonsense please don't mind me. :)

If its chipset Bostan with 2gb Ram and 32gb ROM just reflash the same build you will get correct details.
    Dear community,

- In Step 17, I said ./oeminfo COL-29 C432 hw/eu

Can you share me the link to OEM info binary tool ?