[APP] swapsd beta: Samsung

Search This thread

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
Tested by me on the Samsung Galaxy Exhibit only. (I'm told it works on the Galaxy W). If your device's /system/etc/vold.fstab file matches the attached original Galaxy Exhibit fstab file, it may work for you as well. Note: This app is not compatible with CyanogenMod. Root is required.

A common complaint about some Samsung Gingerbread phones is the fact that they mount the relatively small internal sd memory as /mnt/sdcard and this memory is treated as the phone's primary removable storage by some apps, ignoring the "real" removable sd card that Samsung refers to as "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd".

This simple gui allows you to swap the two so your larger "external sd" is mounted as "/mnt/sdcard/" and the smaller sd internal memory is mounted as "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd".

This is done by changing a file called vold.fstab in your phone's /etc folder. The original device vold.fstab file is backed up to /etc/vold.fstab.backup when this app first runs. Your data on /mnt/sdcard and /mnt/sdcard/external_sd is not touched in any way whatsoever. Root is required. Easy install: copy the apk file to your SD card and open with a file manager.

Please nandroid backup before testing!

If you get "Unknown Error, Contact Developer" you are more than likely not properly rooted! This app requires Superuser and Busybox to properly function!

Please note that if you've already moved existing apps to SD or existing apps have placed support files on SD, swapping mount points is not a good idea. Uninstall these apps, then reinstall after swapping.

Attachments

• vold.fstab.txt
    955 bytes · Views: 6,730
  • Screenshot_2012-07-12-22-25-14.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-07-12-22-25-14.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 6,527
  • swapsd.apk
    200 KB · Views: 29,030
Last edited:
Jun 25, 2012
Tested on the Samsung Galaxy Exhibit only. If your device's /system/etc/vold.fstab file matches the attached fstab file, it may work for you as well.

So has anyone had success using this on the Exhibit II/4G or is it really just for the older Exhibit or am I just mis-reading the title?

I'd like to make the switch since the "internal" sd situation is rather silly and I just picked up a new SDHC card for my phone.

Last edited:

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
So has anyone had success using this on the Exhibit II/4G or is it really just for the older Exhibit or am I just mis-reading the title?

I'd like to make the switch since the "internal" sd situation is rather silly and I just picked up a new SDHC card for my phone.

The Galaxy Exhibit 4G was formerly known as the Exhibit II 4G

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
so the app is for swapping
and wt abt the txt ??? is it the original or the custom for swapping ?????? :confused:

The fstab.txt is the original from the Galaxy Exhibit. It's attached so you can compare it to the /system/etc/vold.fstab on your phone. If the two match, this app may work for you.

Pkt_Lnt

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 26, 2011
SLO
Ok, a question as I learn more and more about the Galaxy Exhibit.

I am testing one, have some time to return if the coverage is not what I need, so I have installed my apps from my other phone, and just moved the SD card over, since it had some zips and apks that I wanted.

Since some of the directories exist already and are used by apps, while others have been recreated on the internal sd of the phone. My thought was to install the swapsd apk, immediately physically move all files from the internal sd to the actual sd card by activating the USB connection. Then disable USB, the swap is active, the media scanner will run, and the phone should see everything on /sdcard and the /ext_sdcard will be clean, except for what I left in the /usb_storage directory.

I tried mounting in recovery under mounts, mount usb storage, but it can only see one virtual drive and not both, whereas activating from the phone, both show.

Is that correct, or am I missing something? And obviously, in recovery, the partitions stay they same since the script is not running.

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
Ok, a question as I learn more and more about the Galaxy Exhibit.

I am testing one, have some time to return if the coverage is not what I need, so I have installed my apps from my other phone, and just moved the SD card over, since it had some zips and apks that I wanted.

Since some of the directories exist already and are used by apps, while others have been recreated on the internal sd of the phone. My thought was to install the swapsd apk, immediately physically move all files from the internal sd to the actual sd card by activating the USB connection. Then disable USB, the swap is active, the media scanner will run, and the phone should see everything on /sdcard and the /ext_sdcard will be clean, except for what I left in the /usb_storage directory.

I tried mounting in recovery under mounts, mount usb storage, but it can only see one virtual drive and not both, whereas activating from the phone, both show.

Is that correct, or am I missing something? And obviously, in recovery, the partitions stay they same since the script is not running.

Samsung's stock recovery only sees the internal storage, not removable. ClockworkMod sees both. You can get cwm here.

Pkt_Lnt

Dec 26, 2011
SLO
Samsung's stock recovery only sees the internal storage, not removable. ClockworkMod sees both. You can get cwm here.

That is from within CWM from that link, maybe my old XP laptop is playing games. Is that implying that I should move files in recovery?

I also find a swapsd01.zip and a swapsd.apk, same, just different application method?

Reactions: walpurgisbirn

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
That is from within CWM from that link, maybe my old XP laptop is playing games. Is that implying that I should move files in recovery?

I also find a swapsd01.zip and a swapsd.apk, same, just different application method?

The swapsd.apk in this thread is the app. Disregard any links to zips, they are outdated.

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
hi jocala ,was wondering if you could fully explain how to do the swpp sd in full ?

thanks

sean

I've attached a screenshot to the OP, hopefully that will help. It's pretty simple:

Root is required. Run the app, you'll see four buttons, Help, Default, Swap, Reboot.

To swap sd and external_sd press Swap.

To return to default, press Default.

Once you press either of the buttons above, press Reboot.

For instructions, press Help.

Pkt_Lnt

Dec 26, 2011
SLO
No. I misunderstood your post. To mount your /sdcard (internal) in cwm mount /sdcard. To mount your removable sd do mount /emmc.

Well, I got it done. I had to do it a little different, more lengthy, more secure. Backed up both partitions to my computer. Activated swapsd, rebooted to recovery, but could not mount both simultaneously. So I mounted the new /sdcard that is removable and moved what was backed up on the computer from the previous internal card to it. Rebooted and then cleaned up everything for duplicates. Thanks for the help again.

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
Well, I got it done. I had to do it a little different, more lengthy, more secure. Backed up both partitions to my computer. Activated swapsd, rebooted to recovery, but could not mount both simultaneously. So I mounted the new /sdcard that is removable and moved what was backed up on the computer from the previous internal card to it. Rebooted and then cleaned up everything for duplicates. Thanks for the help again.

Glad it worked out for you. Good luck with your Galaxy Exhibit :)

NOLAchick

Jul 7, 2012
kenner, La
Tested by me on the Samsung Galaxy Exhibit only. (I'm told it works on the Galaxy W). If your device's /system/etc/vold.fstab file matches the attached original Galaxy Exhibit fstab file, it may work for you as well.

A common complaint about some Samsung Gingerbread phones is the fact that they mount the relatively small internal sd memory as /mnt/sdcard and this memory is treated as the phone's primary removable storage by some apps, ignoring the "real" removable sd card that Samsung refers to as "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd".

This simple gui allows you to swap the two so your larger "external sd" is mounted as "/mnt/sdcard/" and the smaller sd internal memory is mounted as "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd".

This is done by changing a file called vold.fstab in your phone's /etc folder. The original device vold.fstab file is backed up to /etc/vold.fstab.backup when this app first runs. Your data on /mnt/sdcard and /mnt/sdcard/external_sd is not touched in any way whatsoever. Root is required.

How to change the file?

Many thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tested by me on the Samsung Galaxy Exhibit only. (I'm told it works on the Galaxy W). If your device's /system/etc/vold.fstab file matches the attached original Galaxy Exhibit fstab file, it may work for you as well. Note: This app is not compatible with CyanogenMod. Root is required.

This is done by changing a file called vold.fstab in your phone's /etc folder. The original device vold.fstab file is backed up to /etc/vold.fstab.backup when this app first runs. Your data on /mnt/sdcard and /mnt/sdcard/external_sd is not touched in any way whatsoever. Root is required. Easy install: copy the apk file to your SD card and open with a file manager.

If you get "Unknown Error, Contact Developer" you are more than likely not properly rooted! This app requires Superuser and Busybox to properly function!

Please note that if you've already moved existing apps to SD or existing apps have placed support files on SD, swapping mount points is not a good idea. Uninstall these apps, then reinstall after swapping.

No. I misunderstood your post. To mount your /sdcard (internal) in cwm mount /sdcard. To mount your removable sd do mount /emmc.
    Copy the file to your SD card. Open it in your file manager.

Thank you
    LoL technical ability overload :what:

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Nevermind :) I just installed RebelROM, this app isn't compatible, sorry. Stock-based only.