EFS Recovery Guide [Snapdragon only]

Search This thread

Archit9169

May 13, 2016
Lucknow
This guide is for those who have lost their IMEI, have corrupted EFS, or erased EFS partition. So, follow these under your own risk, it may or may not work, and if something happens or doesn't happen, then i am not to blame. So, once again i will not take credit for bricked phones or something along those lines, however i will take full credit if this works for you. I will also provide assistance to those who could not restore their EFS following this guide.

Before proceeding with this guide, backup what you have left. Use twrp to backup and in case something goes wrong and your problem escalates, you can restore using twrp backup.

Last edited:

Archit9169

May 13, 2016
Lucknow
Restore EFS

Do this if and only if you believe your EFS is corrupted, or you somehow erased it. If you are not sure about it, then simply follow the next guide to change you IMEI number. In most cases people loose their IMEI only and not the whole partition. Again, it may or may not work, so do this on your risk, and i am not to blame if anything bad happens, but if you do succeed, then don't forget to give me credit.

Note:
  • If your EFS is erased or corrupted, your IMEI and Baseband will be shown as unknown. In this case recover the EFS following this post, and then change the IMEI following the next post. If your IMEI is shown as 0, then you EFS is safe and most probably your IMEI is gone. In that case, no need to recover EFS, only change the IMEI number following my next post.
  • In TWRP, backup of kate wont show on kenzo and the backup up kenzo wont show on kate. In case no backup is shown even if you are using the right device, then try the dump flashing method or try changing the TWRP recovery.
  • Flashing this will only restore your EFS partition, but the IMEI will still be gone, so you will have to follow the next guide to change your IMEI.
  • Even after flashing a new EFS, you Mac and BT address will not recovery. The android system will assign a software generated address to both devices. Dont worry cause even without the EFS partition there will be a Mac and BT address assigned to your device and both the things will work normally.
  • If your Baseband is still unknown, even after flashing a new EFS, then try flashing latest radio file. It can be found in any firmware update package, either the official or the one from the strix.
1. Download the required files from the link given below.
  • EFS Backup[Kenzo] - Contact me if someone has backup of this.
  • EFS Backup[Kate] - Contact me if someone has backup of this.
2. Extract the Dump Backup files and flash them using the following commands.
Code:
fastboot flash modemst1 modemst1
fastboot flash modemst2 modemst2
3. Now reboot and voila you have you a new EFS partition at your disposal.

Last edited:

Archit9169

May 13, 2016
Lucknow
Change IMEI Number

Requirements:
  • Root
  • USB Debugging is turn on
  • Windows Driver Signature is turned off
  • ADB and Fastboot Binary Files
  • Latest MiFlash Installed for the latest drivers
1. Connect your device to pc and open the adb folder. Then open a command promt window.
Code:
>> [B]Shift + Right Click[/B] anywhere in the adb folder
>> Click on [B]Open Command Window Here[/B]
2. Type the following command to enable Diagnostics mode. Allow debugging if asked.
Code:
adb shell
su
setprop sys.usb.config diag,adb
4. Download the IMEI Changer from the link given below.
5. Now, open the imei changer, and enter imei number in both the fields. And click on start. After a moment it will show as passed. If it fails make sure that you have followed the points i stated.

Note: Make sure that the driver in driver management under ports is listed as "Qualcom HS-USB Android DIAG 901D" and not as "Marshall London HS-USB Android DIAG 901D". If it is listed in any other name, then go to driver management and update driver. Select browse driver, then let me pick driver from a list. Then select "Qualcom HS-USB Android DIAG 901D" and then finish.

Last edited:

Broski32

May 23, 2016
The simplest, and the fastest guide to restoring EFS and IMEI! I haven't backed up my EFS and this revived my phone! Much apprecieated!

Broski32

May 23, 2016
Glad i could help mate. Can you confirm your mac address and bluetooth address, whether it is same or changed.

Can't confirm. My EFS partition was so corrupted from trying other tutorials to restore my IMEI that I didn't even bother backing it up because I thought that it could have been changed already (tried writing to NVRAM with QPST). Since I don't have my original mac and bluetooth addresses written down anywhere (I haven't written them down myself and I don't think they are to be found anywhere on the box or on the phone) I think the only way to check it would be to compare my current addresses on the phone to the addresses contained in your EFS backup. Can you extract them so I can check if they match or not?

Archit9169

May 13, 2016
Lucknow
Can't confirm. My EFS partition was so corrupted from trying other tutorials to restore my IMEI that I didn't even bother backing it up because I thought that it could have been changed already (tried writing to NVRAM with QPST). Since I don't have my original mac and bluetooth addresses written down anywhere (I haven't written them down myself and I don't think they are to be found anywhere on the box or on the phone) I think the only way to check it would be to compare my current addresses on the phone to the addresses contained in your EFS backup. Can you extract them so I can check if they match or not?
The mac address and bluetooth address in the efs are my own. I only changed the imei so that no one else can copy it, i didnt know anyway to change mac address. Besides the mac address doesnt matter that much, and i dont think that we will ever be on the same wifi network.

If you dont know then i can explain, that the mac address is required to maintain switches and broadcast in the router, so it technically does not matter.

You can change it later with some apps or use it like that if you wish, if i find any way to restore you mac i will post it too. In the mean time just post a snapshot of wifi mac and bluetooth address so that i can compare them with my own.

Broski32

May 23, 2016
The mac address and bluetooth address in the efs are my own. I only changed the imei so that no one else can copy it, i didnt know anyway to change mac address. Besides the mac address doesnt matter that much, and i dont think that we will ever be on the same wifi network.

If you dont know then i can explain, that the mac address is required to maintain switches and broadcast in the router, so it technically does not matter.

You can change it later with some apps or use it like that if you wish, if i find any way to restore you mac i will post it too. In the mean time just post a snapshot of wifi mac and bluetooth address so that i can compare them with my own.

Current addresses on my phone:
MAC - 00:0a:f5:a9:XX:XX
Bluetooth - 7C:7F:F0:82:XX:XX

Left out some numbers just in case they are mine. For the purpose of checking that will still be enough :)

Archit9169

May 13, 2016
Lucknow
Current addresses on my phone:
MAC - 00:0a:f5:a9:XX:XX
Bluetooth - 7C:7F:F0:82:XX:XX

Left out some numbers just in case they are mine. For the purpose of checking that will still be enough :)
Yup, they are not mine. Mine start with 64:cc and so on for both mac and bluetooth. They may be software generated or may be your own, technically i am not sure.

Edit: did you use imei changer to change imei no. Or are you using the default values. If you are using the default values, pls post them too. If you change them, then give your review, ie was it hard or easy, did you encointer any problem, stuff like that.

Last edited:

Broski32

May 23, 2016
Yup, they are not mine. Mine start with 64:cc and so on for both mac and bluetooth. They may be software generated or may be your own, technically i am not sure.

Edit: did you use imei changer to change imei no. Or are you using the default values. If you are using the default values, pls post them too. If you change them, then give your review, ie was it hard or easy, did you encointer any problem, stuff like that.

After flashing your EFS backup both IMEI values were set to "0". On the default values I don't think the phone would be able to register on any network with the sim inside, but I haven't tried that. Then I flashed my IMEI with the app you provided in the .rar. Set my IMEI same for both slots because I've got only one written down on the box so I think it is set how it should be out of the box. After that I've rebooted to EDL and flashed global developer rom. And it's all working, I'm able to make calls from both sim slots, however didn't try having 2 sims inside.

All in all the process is very easy, definitely the easiest out there. I haven't encountered any problems, however I think others may have a problem with drivers to get "Qualcom HS-USB Android DIAG 901D" working. Mine was working already because I tried this tutorial before. Thank you for this guide, and providing your backup :)

Last edited:
Reactions: D!nnU

Archit9169

May 13, 2016
Lucknow
After flashing your EFS backup both IMEI values were set to "0". On the default values I don't think the phone would be able to register on any network with the sim inside, but I haven't tried that. Then I flashed my IMEI with the app you provided in the .rar. Set my IMEI same for both slots because I've got only one written down on the box so I think it is set how it should be out of the box. After that I've rebooted to EDL and flashed global developer rom. And it's all working, I'm able to make calls from both sim slots, however didn't try having 2 sims inside.

All in all the process is very easy, definitely the easiest out there. I haven't encountered any problems, however I think others may have a problem with drivers to get "Qualcom HS-USB Android DIAG 901D" working. Mine was working already because I tried this tutorial before. Thank you for this guide, and providing your backup :)
Enjoy your revived phone buddy.

Reactions: Broski32

chr0m

Apr 27, 2011
Guys. I messed up my phone by restoring a nandroid backup from a different one.
I was able to restore my IMEI using some qualcomm tools. My problem now is that fingerprint scanner won't work on any rom, even official.
Any idea what else I have messed Up? I don't think restoring this efs will fix my fingerprint scanner. Is fingerprint scanner info in a different partition?

Archit9169

May 13, 2016
Lucknow
Guys. I messed up my phone by restoring a nandroid backup from a different one.
I was able to restore my IMEI using some qualcomm tools. My problem now is that fingerprint scanner won't work on any rom, even official.
Any idea what else I have messed Up? I don't think restoring this efs will fix my fingerprint scanner. Is fingerprint scanner info in a different partition?
Have you checked with miui7 stock rom. As far as i know there are three sensor modules for fingerprint, on of them is goodfix which is currently not supported by many roms. If your is goodfix then it will not be supported too. You can flash miui rom to check whether the fingerprint works or not...

If it doesnot work, then try to resotre your nandroid backup agaian. This tym simply untick efs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is for those who have lost their IMEI, have corrupted EFS, or erased EFS partition. So, follow these under your own risk, it may or may not work, and if something happens or doesn't happen, then i am not to blame. So, once again i will not take credit for bricked phones or something along those lines, however i will take full credit if this works for you. I will also provide assistance to those who could not restore their EFS following this guide.

Before proceeding with this guide, backup what you have left. Use twrp to backup and in case something goes wrong and your problem escalates, you can restore using twrp backup.
    Restore EFS

Do this if and only if you believe your EFS is corrupted, or you somehow erased it. If you are not sure about it, then simply follow the next guide to change you IMEI number. In most cases people loose their IMEI only and not the whole partition. Again, it may or may not work, so do this on your risk, and i am not to blame if anything bad happens, but if you do succeed, then don't forget to give me credit.

Note:
    • If your EFS is erased or corrupted, your IMEI and Baseband will be shown as unknown. In this case recover the EFS following this post, and then change the IMEI following the next post. If your IMEI is shown as 0, then you EFS is safe and most probably your IMEI is gone. In that case, no need to recover EFS, only change the IMEI number following my next post.
    • In TWRP, backup of kate wont show on kenzo and the backup up kenzo wont show on kate. In case no backup is shown even if you are using the right device, then try the dump flashing method or try changing the TWRP recovery.
    • Flashing this will only restore your EFS partition, but the IMEI will still be gone, so you will have to follow the next guide to change your IMEI.
    • Even after flashing a new EFS, you Mac and BT address will not recovery. The android system will assign a software generated address to both devices. Dont worry cause even without the EFS partition there will be a Mac and BT address assigned to your device and both the things will work normally.
    • If your Baseband is still unknown, even after flashing a new EFS, then try flashing latest radio file. It can be found in any firmware update package, either the official or the one from the strix.
    1. Download the required files from the link given below.
    • EFS Backup[Kenzo] - Contact me if someone has backup of this.
    • EFS Backup[Kate] - Contact me if someone has backup of this.
    2. Extract the Dump Backup files and flash them using the following commands.
    Code:
    fastboot flash modemst1 modemst1
    fastboot flash modemst2 modemst2
    3. Now reboot and voila you have you a new EFS partition at your disposal.
    Change IMEI Number

Requirements:
    • Root
    • USB Debugging is turn on
    • Windows Driver Signature is turned off
    • ADB and Fastboot Binary Files
    • Latest MiFlash Installed for the latest drivers
    1. Connect your device to pc and open the adb folder. Then open a command promt window.
    Code:
    >> [B]Shift + Right Click[/B] anywhere in the adb folder
    >> Click on [B]Open Command Window Here[/B]
    2. Type the following command to enable Diagnostics mode. Allow debugging if asked.
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    setprop sys.usb.config diag,adb
    4. Download the IMEI Changer from the link given below.
    5. Now, open the imei changer, and enter imei number in both the fields. And click on start. After a moment it will show as passed. If it fails make sure that you have followed the points i stated.

Note: Make sure that the driver in driver management under ports is listed as "Qualcom HS-USB Android DIAG 901D" and not as "Marshall London HS-USB Android DIAG 901D". If it is listed in any other name, then go to driver management and update driver. Select browse driver, then let me pick driver from a list. Then select "Qualcom HS-USB Android DIAG 901D" and then finish.
    showing error as no diag even after typing those commands
    kindly help me

At what part, the imei change or flashing.