[Q] Bootloader

Search This thread

Imarik81

Dec 20, 2013
I am curious what the difference between a dev vzw n3 and a retail with Knox tripped 0x1?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

changt34x

Sep 1, 2013
I am curious what the difference between a dev vzw n3 and a retail with Knox tripped 0x1?

A retail with Knox tripped means the owner either did some unsupported mod or used an old root method and the warranty is now void. It does not mean the bootloader is unlocked.

A Dev Note 3 has Knox tripped but can be bootloader unlocked.

Don't get a Knox tripped retail.

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
A retail with Knox tripped means the owner either did some unsupported mod or used an old root method and the warranty is now void. It does not mean the bootloader is unlocked.

A Dev Note 3 has Knox tripped but can be bootloader unlocked.

Don't get a Knox tripped retail.

Not exactly but close...the Dev Note 3 does not have knox tripped out of the box. Once you flash anything custom in odin, then knox is tripped. However that is all irrelevant because there is no warranty anyway aside from a 1 yr on mechanical defects.

Imarik81

Dec 20, 2013
Not exactly but close...the Dev Note 3 does not have knox tripped out of the box. Once you flash anything custom in odin, then knox is tripped. However that is all irrelevant because there is no warranty anyway aside from a 1 yr on mechanical defects.

Well I tripped my Knox. It's not the end of the world. It does stink though. I'm running Eclipse right now but I'd love to check out Cm11. Is that possible?

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
@lmarik81 - I think the pointed question you need to ask is:

"Suppose I want to intentionally blow my Knox warranty flag on my retail device - will the retail device become equivalent to a dev device at that time?"

I *think* the answer is "NO - you will still not be able to boot unsigned kernels."

But it would be better if someone with a blown Knox retail device can validate the above with a "yeah, I tried that on my (blown Knox) retail device and it didn't work" ... either that or refute that assertion from contrary experience.

Direct first-person experience is very desirable here.

[Edit] @lmarik81 - mind saying how you blew yours? Flashing the recovery partition, or something else?

Last edited:

Imarik81

Dec 20, 2013
Is it possible to hard brick my device by doing this? I'm tempted to try if I can just restore back with worst case 0x2.

Imarik81

Dec 20, 2013
I had the case off the back of my phone and some how the battery came out as I was flashing either a rom or recovery and when I turned the phone back on I went into recovery and it tripped.