Who upgraded phone on VZW website THIS year and KEPT their Unlimited Data plan?

Search This thread

THE-COPS

Nov 3, 2009
Florida
In March, I did. It's in my new contract. My old Unlimited Data/email plan from 2007....im definitely NOT complaining. Though, im still paying big bucks for VZW. Sucks when they are the only ones that work well in your area.

I should add that I bought this GS4 on VZ's website. $137 after taxes and other crap with 2 yr contract.

Shotjas

May 29, 2013
Cincinnati
Moved from Sprint to VZW. Back in 2011 VZW had better signal here. 3 years later, Sprint has the better towers, unlocked phones and unlimited data. Def regret that transition.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

swrght13

Dec 2, 2013
Tennessee
Got my vzw galaxy s4 from best buy(phone, case, and screen protector) for $85. I also got to keep my unlimited data plan. The asshole at vzw lied and told me that best buy could only offer the 2gb.

Sent from my P5113 using XDA Premium 4 app

Rooted, running CM 10.2 [4.3.1]

stuartv

May 30, 2012
In March, I did. It's in my new contract. My old Unlimited Data/email plan from 2007....im definitely NOT complaining. Though, im still paying big bucks for VZW. Sucks when they are the only ones that work well in your area.

I should add that I bought this GS4 on VZ's website. $137 after taxes and other crap with 2 yr contract.

You did this by transferring an available upgrade to another line (that does not have Unlimited Data), then upgrading that line? Or how?

Jan 1, 2014
I upgraded two of my lines to the s4 and kept unlimited on both of them. I used two dumb phone upgrades, once the phones arrived I activated them, swapped my SIM cards and called to pull data off those lines. Was really easy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

THE-COPS

Nov 3, 2009
Florida
You did this by transferring an available upgrade to another line (that does not have Unlimited Data), then upgrading that line? Or how?

Only have one line. Always only one line. I am familiar with the trick of using a second line to keep the unlimited, but I never did that. All I did was go to the website, login... click upgrade... add GS4 to cart ...pay for..confirm..finish.

That was actually my second attempt to buy the GS4. I had went online to buy it a week before but backed out in the 2nd step. It was where a popup would come on screen and force you to change your data plan to a tiered data plan because it said my current unlimited data plan could no longer be used. ....Well..the 2nd time I went to buy it, that screen never came up. Idk man. I was like.....whistle whistle..just waiting for it. Im glad it didnt because that More Everything plan is a joke. I cant believe they'd charge THAT much for just 2GB..WTF how they call that MORE?

Reactions: stuartv

stuartv

May 30, 2012
Thanks, Cops. That is good to know, Very interesting.

I got my GS4 last May and I did it using the transfer-an-upgrade trick, but it was a PITA because I didn't actually have a second line at the time (and still don't, but that's another story). Anyway, I'll probably be sticking with my GS4 until my current contract is up - so, another ryear. But, it's good to know a new trick to try the next time I want to upgrade.

THE-COPS

Nov 3, 2009
Florida
Yeah, it has to be a glitch in the VZW website. I was using Firefox so maybe its an issue with how FF handled the script on the page?

Wish I had better choices here where I live. I researched....only AT&T and T-mobile..AT&T is just as bad as VZW in crappy plan pricing. TMO has crappy coverage here as well as Sprint. I hate having very limited choices.

Gahar

Apr 30, 2014
Bridgeport
Edge plan

I went with the edge plan with 2 lines and 12 GB data for $172. Sacrificed unlimited data for every year upgrade.

Gahar

Apr 30, 2014
Bridgeport
damn dude you went from the very best value plan to the very worst value plan

My bill was around $185 with unlimited data and1400 minutes but total data usage for both phones were around 5 GB. So i went with edge plan and now no need to wait two years for upgrade. $10 saved is $10 gas for my car. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
My bill was around $185 with unlimited data and1400 minutes but total data usage for both phones were around 5 GB. So i went with edge plan and now no need to wait two years for upgrade. $10 saved is $10 gas for my car. Lol

Well if you simply don't use a lot of data i guess you save money dropping the unlimited data. Edge is the worst plan though. You have to pay half of the phone's full retail value before you can upgrade, then you trade the device in. So an S5 that would normally cost you $200 will now cost you $350. Say you bought the S4 for $200 on an upgrade last year, you could've sold it for ~$400 right before the S5 dropped. You could spend another $300 and get the S5 so still cheaper than Edge. Then next year, when you have another upgrade, you could sell the S5 for say the same $400 and spend the usual $200 for a phone on an upgrade. Then you're up $200 as well as having a new phone.

So, over two years, just by doing some simple work and selling your old phone yourself, you'll spend a total of ~$300 for three new phones. Getting three new phones on edge over two years will cost you about $1,050.

Gahar

Apr 30, 2014
Bridgeport
Well if you simply don't use a lot of data i guess you save money dropping the unlimited data. Edge is the worst plan though. You have to pay half of the phone's full retail value before you can upgrade, then you trade the device in. So an S5 that would normally cost you $200 will now cost you $350. Say you bought the S4 for $200 on an upgrade last year, you could've sold it for ~$400 right before the S5 dropped. You could spend another $300 and get the S5 so still cheaper than Edge. Then next year, when you have another upgrade, you could sell the S5 for say the same $400 and spend the usual $200 for a phone on an upgrade. Then you're up $200 as well as having a new phone.

So, over two years, just by doing some simple work and selling your old phone yourself, you'll spend a total of ~$300 for three new phones. Getting three new phones on edge over two years will cost you about $1,050.

Damn. I guess HR people from my job didn't do their math and if they did its their lost. Nice to know the price breakdown. Thanks

Reactions: joshm.1219

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Only have one line. Always only one line. I am familiar with the trick of using a second line to keep the unlimited, but I never did that. All I did was go to the website, login... click upgrade... add GS4 to cart ...pay for..confirm..finish.

That was actually my second attempt to buy the GS4. I had went online to buy it a week before but backed out in the 2nd step. It was where a popup would come on screen and force you to change your data plan to a tiered data plan because it said my current unlimited data plan could no longer be used. ....Well..the 2nd time I went to buy it, that screen never came up. Idk man. I was like.....whistle whistle..just waiting for it. Im glad it didnt because that More Everything plan is a joke. I cant believe they'd charge THAT much for just 2GB..WTF how they call that MORE?

Damn. I guess HR people from my job didn't do their math and if they did its their lost. Nice to know the price breakdown. Thanks