[Q] Will the old BackupTA work with 4.3 update?

Search This thread

zoozoo243

May 16, 2014
Hey,

Xperia M dual user here. Recently got the update to 4.3 Jelly Bean. I updated and of course lost the root. Now, I took a backup TA when I was rooted in 4.2.2. I am going to install CWM and try some custom roms. So can I still use the same BackupTA or do I have to create a new one after I upgraded to 4.3?

Thanks!

arnabJ

Dec 18, 2012
Asansol
www.proficientapps.in
Hey,

Xperia M dual user here. Recently got the update to 4.3 Jelly Bean. I updated and of course lost the root. Now, I took a backup TA when I was rooted in 4.2.2. I am going to install CWM and try some custom roms. So can I still use the same BackupTA or do I have to create a new one after I upgraded to 4.3?

Thanks!
If you have taken a backup in 4.2.2 then restore it in 4.2.2 only to relock the bootloader and then upgrade to 4.3. Then take backup of ta again then do whatever you to do with your mobile.

zoozoo243

May 16, 2014
If you have taken a backup in 4.2.2 then restore it in 4.2.2 only to relock the bootloader and then upgrade to 4.3. Then take backup of ta again then do whatever you to do with your mobile.

Just for clarification, so I can only relock my bootloader in 4.2.2 because I took my BackupTA on 4.2.2. I will not be able to relock my bootloader in 4.3 with the BackupTA took in 4.2.2. Did I get it right?

Also, the problem is 4.3 doesn't have any rooting method without unlocking bootloader. I have to take a backupTA before unlocking for which I need root. So kind of in a catch 22 situation here.

arnabJ

Dec 18, 2012
Asansol
www.proficientapps.in
Just for clarification, so I can only relock my bootloader in 4.2.2 because I took my BackupTA on 4.2.2. I will not be able to relock my bootloader in 4.3 with the BackupTA took in 4.2.2. Did I get it right?
Well that's what I had read somewhere. Not sure where exactly. Its always preferable to restore TA Backup on the same version which it was backed up.
Also, the problem is 4.3 doesn't have any rooting method without unlocking bootloader. I have to take a backupTA before unlocking for which I need root. So kind of in a catch 22 situation here.
You are wrong mate. There is a working method to root 4.3 without unlocking Bootloader but that requires you to be in 4.2.2 + Fully rooted + locked Bootloader + Access to Windows PC along with USB Cables and Drivers.

Search In Android Development Section. The current version for the mod is v1.2

mbc07

Dec 12, 2013
Sony Xperia M
Sony Xperia X
Although not recommended, you can restore your TA backup in any firmware version. Sometimes when you restore a backup taken in an old firmware version you get a bootloop that can be easily fixed by flashing the stock kernel again with FlashTool...

I'm saying that because I did something similar: before developing Nicki Root, I took a TA backup in rooted 4.2.2, unlocked bootloader, flashed 4.3 and rooted it by using CWM and then I restored TA backup I took in 4.2.2 and everything worked fine. I already did this procedure at least 5 times and it worked all of them, the only attempt I got a bootloop was after restoring TA backup while running a custom kernel, fixed by flashing stock kernel again :cowboy:

Another tip: create a TA backup with bootloader already unlocked too, if you ever need to unlock it again you can simply restore that backup, without needing to use fastboot and without wiping data partition ;)

arnabJ

Dec 18, 2012
Asansol
www.proficientapps.in
Although not recommended, you can restore your TA backup in any firmware version. Sometimes when you restore a backup taken in an old firmware version you get a bootloop that can be easily fixed by flashing the stock kernel again with FlashTool...

I'm saying that because I did something similar: before developing Nicki Root, I took a TA backup in rooted 4.2.2, unlocked bootloader, flashed 4.3 and rooted it by using CWM and then I restored TA backup I took in 4.2.2 and everything worked fine. I already did this procedure at least 5 times and it worked all of them, the only attempt I got a bootloop was after restoring TA backup while running a custom kernel, fixed by flashing stock kernel again :cowboy:

Another tip: create a TA backup with bootloader already unlocked too, if you ever need to unlock it again you can simply restore that backup, without needing to use fastboot and without wiping data partition ;)
Thank you for pointing this out. I wrote what I head read before. Got new thing to learn today.

harrymason37

Jan 17, 2014
Tago

Hey that's a great idea! The phone will not reset at all.
You can restore your TA backup in any firmware as long as it is stock rom

Sent from my LT25i using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: zoozoo243

testdoank123

Jun 13, 2012
You can restore it in any stock rom with stock kernel. I have restore ta 4.1 to 4.3 many times without problems

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hey that's a great idea! The phone will not reset at all.
    You can restore your TA backup in any firmware as long as it is stock rom

Sent from my LT25i using XDA Free mobile app