[RECOVERY][ROOT] Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini LTE (GT-I9195)

Search This thread

arco68

Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
WARNING! ONLY USE THIS ON THE GT-I9195 MODEL!

Hello all S4 Mini owners!

I'm happy to finally release ClockworkMod recovery and an insecure kernel for the GT-I9195. With these two installed on your device, obtaining root is easy.

Attached to this post is the necessary files needed for this task. Download the following files:

• Odin_v3.09.zip (if you don't have it already)
  • recovery-clockwork-6.0.5.1-serranoltexx.tar.zip
  • S4Mini_RootKit_v2.zip (contains SuperSU v1.89 and BusyBox v1.21.1) ONLY FOR STOCK ROM! NOT FOR CM OR OTHER AOSP BASED ROMS!
Extract recovery-clockwork-6.0.5.1-serranoltexx.tar.zip file to your computer.

The procedure is as:

1. Copy the " S4Mini_RootKit_v2.zip" to your device SD card.
  2. Turn off the phone.
  3. Press and hold home, volume down and power. Download screen should appear.
  4. Connect USB cable, and press volume up.
  5. Start Odin, uncheck "F. Reset Time", and then click AP button.
  6. Select "recovery-clockwork-6.0.5.1-serranoltexx.tar.md5" file that you previously extracted, and press Start button. The phone will reboot when finished.
  7. After the phone resets (it vibrates) IMMEDIATELY hold volume up and home buttons to boot into recovery mode.
  8. Select the option to install the ZIP file you have previously copied to your device and begin flashing it.
  9. After flashing using CWM, reboot into system and enjoy your rooted device.
  10. Optional: Flash GT-I9195_Kernel_v1.zip (Only for Android 4.2.2, not KitKat) to use a custom stock kernel, which might fix battery drain for some.
    Kernel changelog: https://github.com/arco/android_kernel_samsung_msm8930-common/commits/stock
If you get warnings about applications doing not permitted actions, delete the following files from system/app, or let SuperSU fix it for you.

• KNOXAgent.apk
  • KNOXStore.apk
  • ContainerAgent.apk

Attachments

• Odin_v3.09.zip
    971.8 KB · Views: 614,528
  • GT-I9195_Kernel_v1.zip
    6 MB · Views: 226,150
  • S4Mini_RootKit_v2.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 406,743
    7.3 MB · Views: 279,257
Last edited:

zorg2000k

May 3, 2010

I'm happy to finally release ClockworkMod recovery and an insecure kernel for the GT-I9195. With these two installed on your device, obtaining root is easy.

Attached to this post is the necessary files needed for this task. Download and extract them into the same folder. The procedure is as follows:

1. Turn off the phone.
  2. Press and hold home, volume down and power. Download screen should appear.
  3. Connect USB cable, and press volume up.
  4. Start Odin, uncheck "F. Reset Time", and then click PDA button.
  5. Select "GT-I9195_MF5_870901_kernel.tar.md5" file, and press Start button. The phone will reboot when finished.
  6. After boot is finished, power off your phone and repeat step 2 and 3.
  7. In Odin, select "recovery-clockwork-6.0.3.3-serranoltexx.tar.md5", and press Start button.
  8. After boot is finished, power off your phone.
  9. Press and hold home, volume up and power. Phone will boot into recovery. When you exit recovery, it will ask if you want to root the device. Select yes.
  10. All you need to do now, is to download the Superuser app from the Play Store, and you're set! :)

Worked a charm, many thanks

SGWUser

Jun 22, 2012
Arne, great work again!

[OFF-TOPIC] What do you think about releasing a second CM9/CM10 EOL for our old Galaxy W to include the MasterKey exploit patches? I don't think it's a good idea to leave us with security risks :)[/OFF-TOPIC]

Just continue doing great work, I wish you the best luck porting CM10.1 to the Galaxy S4 Mini!

SGWUser

Jun 22, 2012
Quick question before I root it, what do you mean by "insecure"? Certainly not shy, but as in unstable or as in unsafe?

Insecure is needed for rooting, not unsafe or unstable. As far as I know, it removes some security-thingies added by Samsung. For normal use, this shouldn't make a difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong please :)

Last edited:

arco68

Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
[OFF-TOPIC] What do you think about releasing a second CM9/CM10 EOL for our old Galaxy W to include the MasterKey exploit patches? I don't think it's a good idea to leave us with security risks :)[/OFF-TOPIC]

Yes, there will be new releases of that soon. But keep that discussion to the Galaxy W forums. :)

Quick question before I root it, what do you mean by "insecure"? Certainly not shy, but as in unstable or as in unsafe?

An insecure kernel has disabled the root prevention checks that Samsung added. Other than that it's the same as stock kernel. Although in this kernel I also made two minor changes to allow apps to read the kernel log and the full logcat.

charliebigpot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes, there will be new releases of that soon. But keep that discussion to the Galaxy W forums. :)

An insecure kernel has disabled the root prevention checks that Samsung added. Other than that it's the same as stock kernel. Although in this kernel I also made two minor changes to allow apps to read the kernel log and the full logcat.

Great, thanks. One last noobie-like question - is this procedure going to delete what I have on the phone right now?

Reactions: MMK21

cheatman

May 21, 2007
Migration Institute
Thanks for the effort! I'm building a similar package for the I9192 (the dual sim variant, a.k.a "serranods") and I was wondering if you made any serious changes to the kernel except the usual ramdisk rooting changes (ro.secure, adbd binary, su binary etc.)

I'm going to release an insecured kernel based on the dual sim stock kernel, but I'm probably going to reuse the recovery. I expect the two platforms to be very similar in terms of recovery support (drivers, libraries, recovery kernel, partition layout etc.) and I know you can't make any implicit or explicit claims that the recovery won't brick any another model or variant than the one you made the release for. However, I expect no issues whatsoever as the hardware is identical except the modem, so I'll let you guys know.

Cheers,
C.

Reactions: fburgos and malimal

hotheabilly

May 24, 2012
padang
Yes, hats off! Good to hear your work is here :D goodluck with yer device Sir!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 5.0.203 Alpha

1700Mhz A15 and 1500Mhz A7 running together with 640Mhz PowerVR SGX.

charliebigpot

Apr 27, 2010

Attached to this post is the necessary files needed for this task. Download and extract them into the same folder. The procedure is as follows:

1. Turn off the phone.
  2. Press and hold home, volume down and power. Download screen should appear.
  3. Connect USB cable, and press volume up.
  4. Start Odin, uncheck "F. Reset Time", and then click PDA button.
  5. Select "GT-I9195_MF5_870901_kernel.tar.md5" file, and press Start button. The phone will reboot when finished.
  6. After boot is finished, power off your phone and repeat step 2 and 3.
  7. In Odin, click PDA button and select "recovery-clockwork-6.0.3.3-serranoltexx.tar.md5" file, and press Start button.
  8. After boot is finished, power off your phone.
  9. Press and hold home, volume up and power. Phone will boot into recovery. When you exit recovery, it will ask if you want to root the device. Select yes.
  10. All you need to do now, is to download the Superuser app from the Play Store, and you're set! :)

I follow the first steps but I always get stuck at the beginning. I only get a screen with "downloading.... Do not turn off target!!" it does not matter what buttons I push. On top it says "odin mode" in red, some product info and then it says "Wrtie protection: Enable".

Any suggestions?

cheatman

May 21, 2007
Migration Institute
@charliebigpot: That's normal. When that screen appears, connect your device and start ODIN. Then, in ODIN, your device should be detected and you can start flashing. If you still need more info, please search the forum. In any event, you don't have a problem (yet)...

Cheers,
C.

frem

Dec 31, 2005
Thank You for the hard work, it work perfectly for me.
I was able to restore my Angry Birds Stars wars Backup which is a life saver for me :).

One little thing, I keep getting a notification that says :

"Device Information :
The device as detected an application attempting unpermitted actions. To protect your device, it is recommended you reboot."

So I hit reboot and it reboot in "recovery mode" instead of normal boot.
So I hit reboot in recovery mode and get back on the system, but the notification comes back a few minutes later.

Can somone help me fix that ?

Frem.

PS : The only actions I did after rooting is installing "supersuer" app, then using "ES file explorer" activate root access, to copy angry birds backup, then deactivate "ES file explorer" root access

Last edited:
Reactions: MMK21

jba.33a

Oct 29, 2010
dsixda's Android Kitchen files

THANKS MATE FOR GREAT JOB!

Now, if some1 can produce dsixda's Android Kitchen files for i9195, it would be awesome!

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Thank You for the hard work, it work perfectly for me.
I was able to restore my Angry Birds Stars wars Backup which is a life saver for me :).

One little thing, I keep getting a notification that says :

"Device Information :
The device as detected an application attempting unpermitted actions. To protect your device, it is recommended you reboot."

So I hit reboot and it reboot in "recovery mode" instead of normal boot.
So I hit reboot in recovery mode and get back on the system, but the notification comes back a few minutes later.

Can somone help me fix that ?

Frem.

PS : The only actions I did after rooting is installing "supersuer" app, then using "ES file explorer" activate root access, to copy angry birds backup, then deactivate "ES file explorer" root access

Delete KNOX apps (containing KNOX in their name), I think there are 3 of them, in system/apps, that would do it. You can use ES file explorer of course with root permissions

Last edited:

frem

Dec 31, 2005
Delete KNOX apps (containing KNOX in their name), I think there are 3 of them, in system/apps, that would do it. You can use ES file explorer of course with root permissions

Thank you jba.33a that worked perfectly :).

One last question a friend of mine told me that "rooting my phone" will stop it from getting the samsung "official updates".
Is that true ?
If it is true, is there a easy way around it like rooting it back ?

Thanks again for the hard work arco68.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Attached to this post is the necessary files needed for this task. Download the following files:

• Odin_v3.09.zip (if you don't have it already)
    • S4Mini_RootKit_v2.zip (contains SuperSU v1.89 and BusyBox v1.21.1) ONLY FOR STOCK ROM! NOT FOR CM OR OTHER AOSP BASED ROMS!
    Extract recovery-clockwork-6.0.5.1-serranoltexx.tar.zip file to your computer.

The procedure is as:

1. Copy the " S4Mini_RootKit_v2.zip" to your device SD card.
    2. Turn off the phone.
    3. Press and hold home, volume down and power. Download screen should appear.
    4. Connect USB cable, and press volume up.
    5. Start Odin, uncheck "F. Reset Time", and then click AP button.
    6. Select "recovery-clockwork-6.0.5.1-serranoltexx.tar.md5" file that you previously extracted, and press Start button. The phone will reboot when finished.
    7. After the phone resets (it vibrates) IMMEDIATELY hold volume up and home buttons to boot into recovery mode.
    8. Select the option to install the ZIP file you have previously copied to your device and begin flashing it.
    9. After flashing using CWM, reboot into system and enjoy your rooted device.
    10. Optional: Flash GT-I9195_Kernel_v1.zip (Only for Android 4.2.2, not KitKat) to use a custom stock kernel, which might fix battery drain for some.
      Kernel changelog: https://github.com/arco/android_kernel_samsung_msm8930-common/commits/stock
    If you get warnings about applications doing not permitted actions, delete the following files from system/app, or let SuperSU fix it for you.

• KNOXAgent.apk
    • KNOXStore.apk
    • ContainerAgent.apk
    I'm still working on CM, and have the last few days been struggling with rewriting the audio config that defines mixer control and usages. Samsung uses completely different names than what's in the audio hal in CM, and rewriting it and testing is a huge pain. And then on top of that Android 4.3 was released, so even more work bringing that up too.

Added version 6.0.5.1 to first post.
    Recovery version 6.0.5.0 added to first post.