[OFFICIAL]Xperia Z vs Galaxy S4 & All Upcoming Phones-Don't start new threads

Let's Vote guys Xperia Z or S4/Others !!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

xperiax10.awesome

Nov 20, 2010
Singapore
Hi guys,
What you guys thinking, are you gonna quickly buy Xperia Z or planning to wait for the official announcement of Samsung Galaxy S4 or other phones!!

CONCLUSION

Buy Xperia Z - if you believe in Style with sufficient power.
Buy Galaxy S4 - if you want power house with Galaxy Signature design
Buy HTC One - if you want better sound, better display + Style << Xperia Z

XPERIA Z - My Opinion:
As m coming from Galaxy Note 2, i will compare these two and here are what I think the Pros & Cons of Xperia Z:

Pros:
-Beautiful Design
-Waterproof
-Good Camera (Rear only)
-Good Screen (View Straight)

Cons:
-Not the best screen (viewing angles)
-Speaker position is horrible
-Poor Battery Life (compared to Note2)
-Front Camera not so good
-Overheating Issues (can tolerate as its waterproof)
-Cannot use Default Launcher with Xperia Widgets: Lags like anything

WHAT I AM MISSING COMING FROM NOTE 2:
-MultiWindow
-Large Screen
-Customizable Notification Bar
-S-Pen

For Below Comparison - credit goes to Bjray
Cpe1u06.jpg

MOD EDIT: Please use this thread for all your comparisons between the Xperia Z and any other phone you're thinking of buying to reduce clutter in the forums with repeat threads.

Thanks

Last edited:

Tomatoes8

Jun 10, 2012
It is only a couple of months so I would wait. Of course two months could seem like an awfully long time so easier said than done. lol

brangalm

Jun 8, 2007
Re: Xperia Z - Quick Buy or Wait for Galaxy S4 ?

S4. I want to be able to install an extended battery.

Agreed. Or swap batteries. Either way. I was planning on going with Sony this time around, but since no other company will be smart and allow it, my money will unfortunately continue to go to Samsung.

grimmyrippy

Dec 12, 2011
Hueco Mundo

Wait another 5 months if you can, in that time many new devices will come up specially if there's a new nexus device

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: k1n9n0th1n9

LitoNi

May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Isnt there another flagship phone from Sony for the H2 of 2013?

Rumors said its Quad core A15 cortex. phone with 3300 mAh battery and 16mp Camera.

Reactions: arifkpi

sachinaik

Jun 6, 2011
Bangalore

My experience with Sammy:

1. Bought s2. The audio quality was real ****ty. Then the cheap plastic feel. The plastic thing surrounding bezel cracked in two places. Sold it.
2. Bought S3. Immediately disappointed because of how 833 MB ram is always occupied by Sammy ****ty bkground processes.
- frequent foreground app kills
- volume button creeking sound.
- fed up with protective back cover getting getting shaded by dusty color. Yes they forced everyone to buy white s3.
- ****ty battery always at 44 - 48 degrees.
- very plasticky n i've managed to never drop it. Living in a fear.
- cross hatch patterns on screen is viewable.

So I know what Sammy does. It wants to always keep their loyal customer buy their phone every year.
Also 8cores in 28nm will be a disaster I think.

But if I buy Xperia Z, I feel I can be happy with this phone for another two years.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

-A-P-M-

May 4, 2010
I had all Galaxy S phones and currently still got Galaxy S3. There are a few things which I hope Samsung will improve, if not, I won't buy their phone again. One is cheap materials - for example, a lot of SGS3 from first batch had a silver trim, which cracked even if phone didn't drop. Second, Samsung doesn't provide needed sources and developers (CM) can't build stable rom without bugs. Because of those reasons Im tempted to get Nexus or Xperia Z. Since Nexus 4 is hard to get, Im considering Xperia Z, because it looks very premium, they used high quality materials and also Sony provides sources to developers - opposite to Samsung.

Last edited:

xperiax10.awesome

Nov 20, 2010
Singapore

Isnt there another flagship phone from Sony for the H2 of 2013?

Rumors said its Quad core A15 cortex. phone with 3300 mAh battery and 16mp Camera.

I am going to buy Xperia Z and hope there will be no other flagship from Sony atleast till year end !!

sent from Giant Killer Galaxy Note 2

i9100g user

Dec 18, 2011

Hi guys,
What you guys thinking, are you gonna quickly buy Xperia Z or planning to wait for the official announcement of Samsung Galaxy S4 !!

I want Sony to release Xperia Z at the earliest (by Feb end atleast) to avoid confusion amongst probable buyers !!

I guess you should wait for something better than xperia z it still uses s4 pro processor/gpu which is still around the note 2 s so I think wait for s4, optimus g2, or something newer

Also battery would be unremovable
And I guess a bit less than note 2

Last edited:

pongnamu

Feb 27, 2012
Jeonju
plus.google.com

I will buy xperia z. It is like when you wait for s3, a better one comes out. We wait. Another better one comes out........ Electronics improve day by day.

Sent from my X10Mini using Tapatalk 2

AayushDhuria

Oct 1, 2011

I guess you should wait for something better than xperia z it still uses s4 pro processor/gpu which is still around the note 2 s so I think wait for s4, optimus g2, or something newer

Also battery would be unremovable
And I guess a bit less than note 2

S4 pro is around note 2??? Don't tell me you're talking about benchmarks.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using XDA Premium app!

C-Drum

Aug 18, 2012
With this being a developer forum, I can't for my life understand why you're even considering Samsung products, since they're not very developer friendly.

Samsung has failed time after time to deliver what the developers want.

Sony on the other hand is working closely with the developers and don't change very much from the provided source.

If you want to root your device and have custom roms on it in the future don't go for Samsung.

But as others already have mentioned in this thread. Mobile phone developement is going amazingly fast and in another 2 - 3 months, if you can wait, prices will have dropped on current phones and new ones will be availible. On the other hand: If you're waiting for newer and better stuff you can wait forever. Especially in the line of electronics hardware.

Last edited:

MadMike10

May 9, 2010
I would wait and see if a new display driver improves the quality of the contrast, which I think is really low in comparison what should be possible right now. Other than that I really like the Sony UI (better than Sammys) so if Battery life and Display is ok I'm buying one, also because S3 (and hopefully not s4) is a cheap plastic gadget. Also the development section might be better for the Z. Maybe the new HTC M7 is the phone we should wait for, because they really need a strike.

Greetz...

noxlord

Apr 4, 2011
Xperia XZ2
I will buy xperia z. It is like when you wait for s3, a better one comes out. We wait. Another better one comes out........ Electronics improve day by day.

Sent from my X10Mini using Tapatalk 2

Right, I played the waiting game too much already and I know it's not worth it to wait forever ...

With this being a developer forum, I can't for my life understand why you're even considering Samsung products, since they're not very developer friendly.

Samsung has failed time after time to deliver what the developers want.

Sony on the other hand is working closely with the developers and don't change very much from the provided source.

If you want to root your device and have custom roms on it in the future don't go for Samsung.

+1 I doubt they will release kernel sources for that octacore cpu. Sony is much more "XDA friendly" :p

I would wait and see if a new display driver improves the quality of the contrast, which I think is really low in comparison what should be possible right now. Other than that I really like the Sony UI (better than Sammys) so if Battery life and Display is ok I'm buying one, also because S3 (and hopefully not s4) is a cheap plastic gadget. Also the development section might be better for the Z. Maybe the new HTC M7 is the phone we should wait for, because they really need a strike.

Greetz...

You mean something like This ? :D

mileyxperia

Dec 5, 2011
manchester

Sony Xperia over Samsung any day developers welcome Sony listen to there customer's even made a flash tool for us to use
Sent from my Xperia Play using xda premium

Reactions: adulfo

i9100g user

Dec 18, 2011

S4 pro is around note 2??? Don't tell me you're talking about benchmarks.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using XDA Premium app!

Yes s4 pro is a bit better than exynos 4412 but the difference wont be like upcoming A15 quads and s4 primes
And we have already seen a s4 pro 1080p phone quite a time ago.
And those upcoming phones might just 2or3 months away

Galactus

Dec 28, 2009
London
I have never bought a device at the beginning of the year and never will. Happy to wait till april/may to see whats on the horizon, including the S4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Apparently there's news now that the new Galaxy S IV will have an 8 core CPU clocked at 1.8ghz.
    If true, I'm going to wait for Samsung instead of Sony.

It's sad how many sheep are falling for Samsung's misleading "Octa" marketing which (falsely) implies that the device has 8 cores of equal capability.

IT DOES NOT.

It is a quad core device, with four additional low-power cores. More proper marketing would be 4+4 (kind of like Nvidia's 4+1 marketing).

There's also no benefit to having four low-power cores... In any situation where you'd drop to the lowpower cores, you'll also be hotplugging out all of the extra cores. A single low-power core will provide nearly all of the power reduction benefits of a full set of low-power cores. Yes, it'll be easier to handle migration in software - but it's throwing a pile of hardware resources (hardware cost) at a software problem to make up for Samsung's utterly ****ty track record with regards to software integration and quality control. Heck, look at ICS on the I9100 - they couldn't even get basic cpufreq policy limit implementation right with that release!

Samsung's architecture doesn't handle asymmetric core loading well at all. If you have one core maxed out, and want to run some light tasks on a second core - guess what, you have to light up that second core and run it at full tilt. Samsung has a whitepaper that claims this is a good thing, but if you look at their architecture closely (check the cpuidle driver in arch/arm/mach-exynos of their kernels...) you'll notice a nasty flaw - All of the deeper cpuidle states are disabled if more than one core is active. This means that the second core is consuming almost as much power as if it were running at 100% load even if it might only be running at 10% load. Snapdragon can actually reduce the clock/voltage of additional cores that are active but lightly loaded.

Of course, the most important thing is software integration - absolutely awesome hardware means nothing if the software supporting it is ****. Look at the Galaxy Nexus - Thanks to Google and TI doing a great job of integrating the "Project Butter" capabilities of Jellybean, the Galaxy Nexus delivers smoother UI performance with a dual 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9 than the GS3 can with quad 1.4 GHz A9s...

That is what you will get with the Galaxy S4 - Awesome hardware paired with utterly crap software, leading to an overall crap experience. With the Xperia Z, you'll get great hardware paired with great software - for an overall great experience.
    Hi guys,
    What you guys thinking, are you gonna quickly buy Xperia Z or planning to wait for the official announcement of Samsung Galaxy S4 or other phones!!

CONCLUSION

Buy Xperia Z - if you believe in Style with sufficient power.
    Buy Galaxy S4 - if you want power house with Galaxy Signature design
    Buy HTC One - if you want better sound, better display + Style << Xperia Z

XPERIA Z - My Opinion:
    As m coming from Galaxy Note 2, i will compare these two and here are what I think the Pros & Cons of Xperia Z:

Pros:
    -Beautiful Design
    -Waterproof
    -Good Camera (Rear only)
    -Good Screen (View Straight)

Cons:
    -Not the best screen (viewing angles)
    -Speaker position is horrible
    -Poor Battery Life (compared to Note2)
    -Front Camera not so good
    -Overheating Issues (can tolerate as its waterproof)
    -Cannot use Default Launcher with Xperia Widgets: Lags like anything

WHAT I AM MISSING COMING FROM NOTE 2:
    -MultiWindow
    -Large Screen
    -Customizable Notification Bar
    -S-Pen

For Below Comparison - credit goes to Bjray
    Cpe1u06.jpg

MOD EDIT: Please use this thread for all your comparisons between the Xperia Z and any other phone you're thinking of buying to reduce clutter in the forums with repeat threads.

Thanks
    Didn't know Sony fans were as bad HTC and Apple fans. Time and time again the only argument they can come up with against Samsung is Touchwiz is ewwwww or cheap plasticky. It is pathetic to say the least and humanity continues to disappoint me.

I have owned a Galaxy S2, Iphone 4s, Xperia S, HTC One X, Galaxy S3. I currently own a HTC 8x, LG Optimus G, and a Nexus 4. Guess what though? The GS2 and GS3 were easily two of the more well designed phones. Yes, they were light and yes they use glossy plastic but the clearance they use between the gap/crevices and rigidity and flex were perfect. Zero creaks or gaps, rigid, no flex, light, durable, and great heat sink properties etc. Very well designed handsets and much more well designed than all of my previous handsets except the Optimus G.

I find it amazing how people can't get past the texture of a device and label them cheap just because they don't like the texture used and ignore every other area that goes into a well made design. I hope these "smart" people never become Architects or otherwise my house might be made of steel and I get cooked in it on a summers day.

My experience with Sammy:

1. Bought s2. The audio quality was real ****ty. Then the cheap plastic feel. The plastic thing surrounding bezel cracked in two places. Sold it.
    2. Bought S3. Immediately disappointed because of how 833 MB ram is always occupied by Sammy ****ty bkground processes.
    - frequent foreground app kills
    - volume button creeking sound.
    - fed up with protective back cover getting getting shaded by dusty color. Yes they forced everyone to buy white s3.
    - ****ty battery always at 44 - 48 degrees.
    - very plasticky n i've managed to never drop it. Living in a fear.
    - cross hatch patterns on screen is viewable.

So I know what Sammy does. It wants to always keep their loyal customer buy their phone every year.
    Also 8cores in 28nm will be a disaster I think.

But if I buy Xperia Z, I feel I can be happy with this phone for another two years.

I just played with the Xperia Z, the set looks good but nothing extra ordinary !!

-Front n back finger print magnets.
    -Sound not so good.
    -Surface is too much reflective.
    -And I know Sony will launch another flagship in Q3 for sure !!

I think I will wait for Galaxy S4 n then decide on my next phone, anyways m happy with Note 2 and Nexus 4 !!

Well... Some of those aren't real arguments. I mean, sure, the front and back are fingerprint magnets, they're made out of glass. All glass surfaces are fingerprint magnets. The white one won't suffer from this as visibly.

The slightly lower speaker quality is because it has to be waterproof. I personally don't really mind. As long as I can hear it ringing and can understand what people say in the occasional video it's fine with me. It's a phone, not a portable stereo system. Also, people using their phone speaker in public really annoy me :p

The reflective surfaces were done on purpose to make it blend in with your surroundings. Put an Xperia Z on a table in a room and it'll reflect the surroundings, almost like camouflage. I quite like the idea.

And well, the Q3 flagship... Possibly. But we haven't heard any serious leaks about it yet and Sony might just change course. Even if we'll see a Q3 flagship it won't be that much better than the Xperia Z. And when that hits the market will you complain about Sony releasing another phone in Q1 2014?

The reasons you buy a Sony phone aren't the same as the reasons you buy a Samsung phone.

You buy a Sony phone because you want using your phone to be an effortless, nice experience. You want to be amazed by the design every time you take it out of your pocket. You want to feel safe using it because of the solid build quality. You want to enjoy the little details in the theming, the tiny little pixel that is just perfect. The exclusive Walkman and Album apps that are the best on the market. You want to get this warm, fuzzy feeling every time you see Sony doing another nice thing for developers. You want to feel the anticipation for updates that make your phone feel brand new again. You want an Xperia because it feels like the phone that fits you.

On the other hand the only reason you could want a Samsung is because it has the best theoretical specs. Samsung's hardware and software design do nothing for me, and their horrible marketing doesn't help either. Their design lacks refinement and sophistication. Their software lacks unity and simplicity. Samsung's support for open-source development is pretty horrible too.

(Wow, I think I just wrote one of my best pieces of Sony marketing :p)