Nexus Charging Orb - Does Magnetism work with DNA?

Search This thread

sabinblitz

Jan 8, 2009
Hey Guys -

I know the wireless charging will work because of the Qi standard, but will the phone stay put? Any impressions from those who own it would be appreciated.

starscream86

Account currently disabled
Mar 13, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
I could be wrong but I don't think its magnetic.. the back of the nexus is glass I think the orb is just a rubberized surface that "grab's" the back of the phone.. i.e. just friction holds it on... I think!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Mooselips

Dec 20, 2010
Nobody has the orb yet, I think. It just now became available, with shipping withing a week. Plus the shipping time. I ordered one the first day it was available, but don't expect it before the end of next week.

Mooselips

Dec 20, 2010
Ok, they are shipping them today. Won't be long before we find out.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

almo40192

Jan 8, 2012
I could be wrong but I don't think its magnetic.. the back of the nexus is glass I think the orb is just a rubberized surface that "grab's" the back of the phone.. i.e. just friction holds it on... I think!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I'm with you on this one, because I read it would be compatible with windows 8 and htc phones. And pictures look like the two circles on top are rubber. Just what it looks like to me

allenlee0112

Nov 7, 2007
Corvallis
I have the touchstone charger and it has magnet in it.
from what I see it is held up 80% by friction, 20% by magnetic force.
Too bad the touchstone wont work on Droid DNA otherwise I think it would be a great charging dock.

cmay227

Jun 8, 2010
Here is a pic of the rear case of the nexus 4. I see no magnets.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360914303088.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360914303088.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 490

Mooselips

Dec 20, 2010
We'll know soon enough. The first ones arriving tomorrow. Today, in fact. Hope I won't have to return it.

beddachedda

Jul 29, 2010
San Francisco, CA

sabinblitz

Jan 8, 2009
Magnet lightly holds. The surface of the orb is quite sticky and holds it just fine by itself - the magnet is obviously less apparent with a case on.

[/COLOR]Definitely not strong enough to use as a car mount though.

Good to know.

Unfortunately, Play Store won't let me order one. My address is incorrectly input but I can't change it. Keep getting error messages.

Azbulldog

Jul 16, 2012
So there is a magnet in it? I thought it would only be the anti-slip rubber that they try and sell for car dashboards. One question, does it work with the phone horizontal? That's something my Nokia DT-910 can't do.

beddachedda

Jul 29, 2010
San Francisco, CA
So there is a magnet in it? I thought it would only be the anti-slip rubber that they try and sell for car dashboards. One question, does it work with the phone horizontal? That's something my Nokia DT-910 can't do.
Yes there is a magnet, yes it works with the phone in landscape.

However, it doesn't activate DreamScene or whatever it does with the N4 (also doesn't flip home screens to landscape like it does in car mode).

Bigandrewgold

Mar 26, 2011
Yes there is a magnet, yes it works with the phone in landscape.

However, it doesn't activate DreamScene or whatever it does with the N4 (also doesn't flip home screens to landscape like it does in car mode).

The dream mode is a 4.2 feature so I don't think anyone expected it to be on the DNA. And on stock there isn't landscape homedscreens. You'll either need a Rom or a 3rd party launcher for that.

Top Liked Posts