[LINK TO FIX][UPD 29AUG]Touchscreen Not Responsive

I have a problem with touchscreen

• Total voters
Search This thread

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
Issues with touchscreen being unresponsive.

Important Isuue usually appears at least after a week of owning the device
Quick test:
Lock device. Unlock, launch camera app in the lockscreen, take picture, try pressing back button, see if it responds straight away or with a delay. Test it with all apps on lockscreen.
Issue unlocking ? I.e dragging circle to the middle?
Bottom of a screen not responsive sometimes.
Back button slow to respond.
Apps launching when you try to change screen, i.e. phone registers swipe as a press.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/06/06/is-your-htc-sensation-having-touchscreen-problems/

CAUSE Grounding pin not touching back cover, which causes (by the looks of it) build up of static which messes up touch screen.
FIX Best to use in conjunction with fixes below.

POSSIBLE FIXes if above doesn't work, which it should, but don't expect immidiate results.
1.Shut down phone and pull battery out for at least an hour (i recommend overnight). Press power button as to turn phone on, which in theory should discharge all the left over current in the hardware.
Give it a go and let me know if it works.
2.Letting battery discharge till phone turns off,put on charge and don't touch it till it's full.

I want to thank abrown0809, eliteone, stuart0001(legendary patience :) ), zmfl, maschenazi, nugzo and all other people i forgot to mention for sticking with me while trying to work out FIX. Thanks to all the posters too.
I take NO credit for the fix. :)

Poll is here to show how many people have this problem to HTC, not to work out what percentage of users have it, as it will definitely be incorrect.
Vote yes if you EVER experienced touchscreen problems, even if its gone now.

PETITION for HTC to admit that there is touch screen problem.
All info below:

Below is the worldwide support address. There are also country specific contact pages but I'd suggest we all contact the same place so they can't keep saying they're getting no reports.:

http://www.htc.com/www/contact/email-us/

Might be worth at least including the link below which demonstrates our issue perfectly
http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/06/06/is-your-htc-sensation-having-touchscreen-problems/

I've also started a pertition here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/htcsensationtouchscreenproblem/

Feel free to comment, sign & distribute as you wish :)

Last edited:

Neville.Holland

Nov 28, 2006
London-innit
HT15HV80XXXX 6/1/2011
HT15BV80XXXX 6/8/2011
HT15EVXXXXX 6/13/2011 Current Device

Had big problems with the first two, both returned... Third is an improvement, however:

Seems to be a problem with the application data screen (where you can move to SD etc...) all of the data goes mental and the buttons flash sometimes causes a crash that only battery removal cures...

Back button seems to forget to work when the screen unlocks, normally returns to normal after several actions

Unlock screen is hard to unlock sometimes... helps if you are holding the device...

Screen is sometimes slow to respond

SD app icons on home screens do not regenerate after reset...

Humming Bird

Jun 22, 2009
@OP, what is the touchscreen issue btw? I haven't read anything about it...yet.

HT15TT - 05/26/11
No problems yet!

Last edited:

yyx84

Jun 16, 2011
HT15CV

have the Circle issue in Lockscreen, Battery drains almost 50% in 1h wlan surfing, apps crash sometimes and at least restarts...

bet that ^^

im returning it next week i hope they will change it

clandes

Nov 1, 2010
Munich
HT15JV - no touchscreen or lockscreen issues so far

Only real bug is that non HTC widgets sometimes get flickering rainbow coloured stripes but they are strictly attached to the widget and vanish once I replace the it. So this should not be a display problem especially as the HTC widgets are never afflicted.

slamslugeren

Feb 8, 2010
HT15HV, no issues yet.

Had the issues on my first device, but don't know what serial it had.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA Premium App

Scoop24

Apr 14, 2010
NY
HT15MT

It had lockscreen issues yesterday. But it went away.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA Premium App

_kansei_

Oct 3, 2007
Seattle, WA
HT15RT, may build and ship date

all of the above in terms of problems. unlocking problem, bottom of the touchscreen not being responsive, swipes registered as taps fairly frequently, issues with wifi cycling and never connecting, and it has ruined the SD card it came with (do the point that it gets detected by my win7 computer but crashes explorer, and on my mac it just isn't detected) as well as the 16GB microsd I foolishly swapped in from my DSLR.

Did I mention that I still am absolutely in love with the phone?

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
Hmmm, still a bit random.... We just need to find a common factor. If anyone spots anything in common, just mention it, even if you are not sure.

cirrob

May 14, 2009
Riverside
I appreciate this thread. I am still considering purchasing this phone but the two major hold backs are the wifi signal deathgrip issue and of course the touch screen. I kinda went through this debacle with the mt4g and don't really want to go through the hassle again of finding a working model.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App

xSDMx

Nov 28, 2009
Did those with or without problems use a screen protector?

I left the stock screen protector on my unit and it works beautifully. Maybe because the touch screen unit is slightly displaced, static build up on the gorilla glass causes issues with some unit?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Issues with touchscreen being unresponsive.

Important Isuue usually appears at least after a week of owning the device
    Quick test:
    Lock device. Unlock, launch camera app in the lockscreen, take picture, try pressing back button, see if it responds straight away or with a delay. Test it with all apps on lockscreen.
    Issue unlocking ? I.e dragging circle to the middle?
    Bottom of a screen not responsive sometimes.
    Back button slow to respond.
    Apps launching when you try to change screen, i.e. phone registers swipe as a press.

CAUSE Grounding pin not touching back cover, which causes (by the looks of it) build up of static which messes up touch screen.
    FIX Best to use in conjunction with fixes below.

POSSIBLE FIXes if above doesn't work, which it should, but don't expect immidiate results.
    1.Shut down phone and pull battery out for at least an hour (i recommend overnight). Press power button as to turn phone on, which in theory should discharge all the left over current in the hardware.
    Give it a go and let me know if it works.
    2.Letting battery discharge till phone turns off,put on charge and don't touch it till it's full.

I want to thank abrown0809, eliteone, stuart0001(legendary patience :) ), zmfl, maschenazi, nugzo and all other people i forgot to mention for sticking with me while trying to work out FIX. Thanks to all the posters too.
    I take NO credit for the fix. :)

Poll is here to show how many people have this problem to HTC, not to work out what percentage of users have it, as it will definitely be incorrect.
    Vote yes if you EVER experienced touchscreen problems, even if its gone now.

PETITION for HTC to admit that there is touch screen problem.
    All info below:

Below is the worldwide support address. There are also country specific contact pages but I'd suggest we all contact the same place so they can't keep saying they're getting no reports.:

http://www.htc.com/www/contact/email-us/

Might be worth at least including the link below which demonstrates our issue perfectly

I've also started a pertition here:
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/htcsensationtouchscreenproblem/

Feel free to comment, sign & distribute as you wish :)
    Theory busted. A lot of us have problem without screen protector on.
    Hi guys,

It turned out that taking the screen protector out didn't solve the problem entirely. So I had two problems at the same time. First - the original HTC screen protector got stiff after sun exposure so it was completely unresponsive and second - my screen became to be unresponsive as well (most likely because of AC charger & car charger issue - see below). After I took the screen protector out it was better, but I still had several problems, but not that often as before:
    1) I could not drag the lock ring to the middle of the screen, it was not following my finger very often - very annoying
    2) Apps started from within the lock screen had some problems, for example back button was not always working, camera couldn't run recording (red spot was unresponsive etc.). Basically bottom of the screen was unresponsive. After ~10secs it started to work.

From unknown reason all problems disappeared after some time. I was then using USB charger only, because I read that original AC charger can be the source of the problem. Then on Friday I got to use my car charger and after 4 hours it all started again ! I tried several solutions mentioned in the first post, but it didn't help. Then while my daughter was playing in the playground I took out the back cover, held the phone with my palm (see picture below) and played with the touch screen for few seconds. Then all my problems disappeared ! Instantly ! It started to be responsive again ! Then I realized that I did it before and it presumably solved the problem before. So I did quick exercise to prove my assumptions - I used my regular HTC Sensation AC charger. After around 4 hours it started to be unresponsive again. I took out the back cover while the phone was running, put the phone in my palm and played with it for some time - all problems disappeared again ! So maybe it is finally some fix for this issue ? At least it works for me. So basically I can confirm that:
    1) something is ****ed up with original HTC AC charger & HTC car charger or more - the way phone is charged with them
    2) something is ****ed up with the back cover

Taking out the back cover (without turning the phone off), putting your phone into your palm and playing with the touchscreen for a while should solve the problem. You can put your back cover now again and it should still work. Let me know it if helps you or not.

Regards,

misiek_to_ja

20hrsde.jpg
    The metal contact might be it...

I noticed if you touch the silver metal contact with your finger as you have the back cover off, the performance of the touchscreen increases. This is what I am talking about.

IMG_0048.jpg

Here is what I believe to be the problem, correct me if I am wrong. That metal contact is meant to ground the phone and it is not working properly or maybe since most of us use rubber or plastic cases, we block that from happening. Since the static has no where to go it just builds up on the phone, and in turn messing up our touch commands. Capacitive touch screens work because our body is a conductor. The screen is coated with a transparent conductor, so it makes sense that static would mess things up. I forgot who but someone said earlier that they charged the phone on a metallic surface and the problem went away, charged it on wood and the problem came back. I study electrical engineering, but I am still a student and I could be wrong but its a start.....right :)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1206188

Worked for me....so far...the results were immediate

Good luck
    I have the device for 3 weeks now. Never had any issues. Tried all the tests stated in OP and everything works flawlessly. This have to be hardware related as not all the devices with the same software version have these issues. Do your self a favor and ask for a replacement. I know how frustrating these issues can be :)