Windows 8 x64 drivers for Nexus 7

Search This thread

drx69

Nov 23, 2010
I am having a devil of a time trying to find nexus 7 drivers that will install on windows 8. I have tried a all that i have found and have came to the conclusion, that i am an idiot.

What i am trying to do is mount /sdcard.

A related question, under ubuntu x64, I have adb working great. But I still have issues mounting /sdcard. So i figured i am doing something wrong.

Help? And yes I searched the site and found several for the galaxy nexus, but not for the nexus 7.

Thanks... And if i just missed the info, please point me in the right direction.

aaronpoweruser

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 19, 2007
earth
I am having a devil of a time trying to find nexus 7 drivers that will install on windows 8. I have tried a all that i have found and have came to the conclusion, that i am an idiot.

What i am trying to do is mount /sdcard.

A related question, under ubuntu x64, I have adb working great. But I still have issues mounting /sdcard. So i figured i am doing something wrong.

Help? And yes I searched the site and found several for the galaxy nexus, but not for the nexus 7.

Thanks... And if i just missed the info, please point me in the right direction.

I have the windows drivers I will post them later today. For Linux since the nexus 7 uses mtp, you need ro install "gmtp", this will mount sd card for you

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

tikiral

Nov 30, 2009
As with all Google devices, USB drivers are downloaded with the Android SDK Manager.

drx69

Nov 23, 2010
As with all Google devices, USB drivers are downloaded with the Android SDK Manager.

Unfortunately... this is incorrect. They work for win7 x64 but not for windows 8. I already tried that. It worked for the wife's Nexus but not for the nexus 7. That is why i posted. I would keep getting hash was corrupt error with those drivers.

drx69

Nov 23, 2010
ok... i found drivers for adb and usb... but i doubt fastboot would work. Noone seems to have that working with win8 yet.

Thanks for all the help

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
If you are using the N version of Windows 8, you will not be able to use the MTP device. Only solutions to that for now seems to be reinstalling a non-N version of Windows 8, transfer files using Android Commander (over ADB), or push files with ADB if you know what your doing.

The other non-MTP devices for ADB and Fastboot can be installed by using Google's USB Driver in the Android SDK. (ASUS also has drivers on their site, but they're unsigned I believe and will require you to disable driver signature enforcement; these are the same drivers from Google also, so this maybe pointless)

I can confirm that MTP, ADB, and Fastboot all work fine under Windows 8 Enterprise x64, and ADB and Fastbook work fine under Windows 8 Enterprise N x64.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
virtual machine

I too couldn't get my nexus to work with windows 8 so i installed VMWare and installed windows 7 there and used that to access my nexus, I used this to backup and root my nexus using the root toolkit

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
I got my Nexus 7 to work with Windows 8 but its a pain.

You basically have to do an advanced restart and disable driver checking.

Then force the Windows 7 driver. Then root.

Once you restart the PC again, you won't be able to connect anymore unless you disable the driver check again.

Windows 8 is the biggest turd. I tried for months. I've since put Windows 7 back on and never been happier. I do have Win8 on my laptop and its OK but I have lots of issues with legacy apps. Thing is just a turd. I'm skipping 8

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
I got my Nexus 7 to work with Windows 8 but its a pain.

You basically have to do an advanced restart and disable driver checking.

Then force the Windows 7 driver. Then root.

Once you restart the PC again, you won't be able to connect anymore unless you disable the driver check again.

Windows 8 is the biggest turd. I tried for months. I've since put Windows 7 back on and never been happier. I do have Win8 on my laptop and its OK but I have lots of issues with legacy apps. Thing is just a turd. I'm skipping 8

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

If your using Google's driver for ADB, there is no need for any of that.

QBfK

Dubhaltach

Nov 20, 2009
I use Windows 8 64bits too (90 day evaluation). I can't even install Android SDK (it can't detect Java JDK, installed !). I can't do anything. Can someone help me ?

Set a system variable called JAVA HOME to the jdk, instructions are online. Then install SDK by the zip method. Add SDK to environment variables.

By the way, I don't see why people gripe about 8. I'm on RP build, and it's great. Plugged in nexus, had mtp in 30 seconds. For adb and fast boot I just had to go device manager, update drivers, and manually chose my adb and fstboot.

D

Deleted member 4488333

I was having trouble with the drivers I used for my N7 in Win8 until I uses WugFresh's Root Toolkit to uninstall the old ones and reinstall new ones. He takes you step-by-step, so it's really a no-brainer.

Reactions: mmisep

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got it to work :)

Hi guys, I read this thread, but some research led me to ASUS' device support page where they have adb driver package for Nexus 7, (I can't post links cuz I'm still new here :( )

Simply download the drivers and extract them, then once you plug in your N7, navigate to device manager and under 'Other devices' you should see a Nexus 7 with a yellow triangle. Right-Click and select Update Driver Software, and then browse for the folder where you extracted the drivers, and Win 8 should take care of the rest. Just ran a full driver test with the Nexus Toolkit, and it passed perfectly ;)

Good Luck! :victory:
    Still can't access my N7 on Windows 8 :< Nothing seems to work

I am also running Windows 8 64bit. I downloaded the driver from this link and Windows 8 finally recognized my Nexus 7.
    Because xda-developers hates new users I can't give you the link directly. (Sorry I don't "understand")

Search and replace * with .
    Go to: www*asus*com/Tablet/Nexus/Nexus_7/#download

Select Others from the OS drop down list.
    D
    Deleted member 4488333
    I was having trouble with the drivers I used for my N7 in Win8 until I uses WugFresh's Root Toolkit to uninstall the old ones and reinstall new ones. He takes you step-by-step, so it's really a no-brainer.
    Still can't access my N7 on Windows 8 :< Nothing seems to work