[Q] Another root ?

Search This thread

crazysgt

Mar 25, 2010
Fellas, I come to here, humble and contribed. I, as all others, have the dreaded gps bug. I know there are a few posts concerning it, however, those are starting to get confusing to me. I ask for some simple instructions as to simply root my device, and procedure to replacing the files that are to make it functional again. No debloating, flashing of ROMs, or etc. DL links would be nice too.

Phone specs:

At&t n900a
4.3 stock
baseband n900aucubnb4
build number jss15j.n900aucubnb4

Have rooted other samsung devices, so not totally an idiot...

Any help will be much appreciated

zinupe14

Dec 31, 2013
You asked how to root p. Kingo app is as simple as it gets. And it doesn't trip your Knox counter. If you want 4.4.2 then I would suggest downloading the urdroid rom and following the detailed instructions. I'm running the stock kitkat rom rooted with no Knox counter trip. Not trying to be a prick but the kingo root method was as simple as pi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

crazysgt

Mar 25, 2010
I'm not interested in kitkat, honestly, I dont care about custom ROMs. I just need to root, and the procedure for replacing the gps files that are to make the AT&T GN3 gps actually work. And possibly stop the updates.

The Basilisk

Mar 4, 2014
st. michael
if you're on the latest nb4 baseband than you'll need to google Kingo v.1.15 and find a download of that version. if you're still on mj5 than just google kingo app, download and install to a windows pc. open the app and follow the instructions. its easy. kingo should install the correct drivers. kingo doesn't always succeed the first time. if that's the case try again until kingo says success. once done update su superuser app via google play and restart your phone. now you have root. i don't have gps problems so hopefully someone else can help you with. good luck. sry i can't post any download links but if you use google you should have no problems

Last edited:

mrkhigh

Dec 6, 2012
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 3
Honestly I'd just wait if I were you....
Rogers and tellus note 3 have gotten kitkat the s4 has gotten kitkat for att in looking for kitkat in the next few weeks to month.

Sent from my XT907 using xda app-developers app

crazysgt

Mar 25, 2010
Would some explain how to "flash" the gps files to fix the friggen thing. I have root with kingo, and downloaded the gpsfix from drakeymcmb, but 2 folders are extracted and only one is told what to do with, as well as how to change permissions for the files...thanks in advance

The Basilisk

Mar 4, 2014
st. michael
Would some explain how to "flash" the gps files to fix the friggen thing. I have root with kingo, and downloaded the gpsfix rom drakeymcmb, but 2 folders are extracted and only one is told what to do with, as well as how to change permissions for the files...thanks in advance

Ignore the meta folder. You're not "flashing" these files, you're copying them to your phone's system folder. Open the zip and open the system folder, then open the etc folder. Now copy the gps.conf file to your phone's system/etc directory. Now go back to the gpsfix.zip and open system then open lib. Copy the 3 libloc files to your phone's system/lib directory. Go back to the zip. Open system, open lib, open hw. Now copy the 2 GPS files to the phones system/lib/hw directory. Change each files properties to rw-r-r(Fix permissions). Now reboot. Warning if you don't know what you are doing i don't recommend doing this as messing with system files can lead to very expensive paperweight

Reactions: crazysgt

crazysgt

Mar 25, 2010
Ignore the meta folder. You're not "flashing" these files, you're copying them to your phone's system folder. Open the zip and open the system folder, then open the etc folder. Now copy the gps.conf file to your phone's system/etc directory. Now go back to the gpsfix.zip and open system then open lib. Copy the 3 libloc files to your phone's system/lib directory. Go back to the zip. Open system, open lib, open hw. Now copy the 2 GPS files to the phones system/lib/hw directory. Change each files properties to rw-r-r(Fix permissions). Now reboot. Warning if you don't know what you are doing i don't recommend doing this as messing with system files can lead to very expensive paperweight

Thanks! This is what I needed, I understand the risks, but also know the reward is a functioning gps, the meta folder and how to change the permissions is what was holding me back.

crazysgt

Mar 25, 2010
So on permissions, just rw, r,r no execute on any right? Now how to disable att updates? Thank goodness for yall smart fellas

Last edited:

Rukbat

Feb 15, 2012
Fayetteville NC
To disable AT&T updates, freeze the at&t update app. (Sorry, I can't get the name right now, I'm on a ROM that had it removed, but it's at&t <something to do with updates>, with little red and green lines on the icon.) Link2SD or TiB will freeze it.

Reactions: crazysgt

crazysgt

Mar 25, 2010
One more quick ?, When I open Super SU, a popup appears, Samsung KNOX has been detected. This might limit root capabilities and cause annoying popups. Try to disable KNOX? I have always cancelled the popup. Is that correct? or should I ok it? Again, thanks guys for all the help. I used my gps without fail all weekend long. Not a single problem, gps or phone wise. Wonder if I was to unroot using Kingo app, and leave the gps patch alone, if it would still get OTA?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Would some explain how to "flash" the gps files to fix the friggen thing. I have root with kingo, and downloaded the gpsfix rom drakeymcmb, but 2 folders are extracted and only one is told what to do with, as well as how to change permissions for the files...thanks in advance

So on permissions, just rw, r,r no execute on any right? Now how to disable att updates? Thank goodness for yall smart fellas

Sry for the late reply. Owner=read write, group=read, other=read. No execute
    To disable AT&T updates, freeze the at&t update app. (Sorry, I can't get the name right now, I'm on a ROM that had it removed, but it's at&t <something to do with updates>, with little red and green lines on the icon.) Link2SD or TiB will freeze it.