[MOD][XPOSED] overflow:hidden;

Search This thread

JJohnson1988

Dec 10, 2013
California
overflow:hidden;
AKA Remove Action Overflow Button

"Because naming your module after a CSS rule is fashionable and socially acceptable!"

A simple module that completely removes the action overflow button from various apps. Useful for people that have a hardware menu button on their device and don't want to see the superfluous button on action bars.

This is similar to another module: "Noverflow" by el1t. However, my implementation should be more thorough in removing the overflow button from sometimes-stingy apps, such as Google Chrome.

Only tested on 4.4 CM-based ROMs, but it should work on previous versions of Android (anything 4.0 ICS or newer should be okay), as well as ROMs that aren't CM-based. If not, let me know and I'll try to resolve the problem.

Thank you to GravityBox for originally implementing the important lines of code!

Instructions:

Download, install, enable and reboot. No configuration interface included, nor is one necessary.

Changelog:

Code:
v1.0:
Initial release

v1.1:
- Removed overflow button in AOSP calculator app (thanks, Micks29!)
- Added try/catch blocks for safety
- Bumped up minSdkVersion to 14 (will change if I can make older Android versions compatible)
- Minor addition to app description string

v1.2:
- New name and icon!
- Only attempt to hook methods if user's version of Android has original methods properly implemented

v1.3:
- Removed overflow button in AOSP browser app (thanks, a4apple!)
- General project clean-up (APK file size has been significantly reduced and leftovers from previous project name have been purged)
- Compile project based on Java 1.7 to make use of some handy new development techniques
- Added TODO notes within project's source to inform anyone interested in my pending tasks

v1.4:
- Ensure the overflow button in AOSP browser app is correctly being removed
- Change a few fields to help prevent the overflow button from being shown in some apps, in some cases
- Use the latest Xposed API (d'oh!)

v1.41:
- Found and removed yet another instance of the overflow button in the AOSP browser app

Download:

http://repo.xposed.info/module/me.jjohnson1988.android.xposed.removeactionoverflowbutton

Source:

https://github.com/JJohnson1988/overflow-hidden

Last edited:

JJohnson1988

Dec 10, 2013
California
@JJohnson1988 can u implement gingerbread support plz?

I thought Google forced the overflow button in Android versions that came /after/ Gingerbread. And I also forgot that a back-port of Xposed for Gingerbread even exists.

I can lower the minimum required version of the module, but if that doesn't work for you, I'll try to implement a workaround.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

Reactions: killoid

JJohnson1988

Dec 10, 2013
California
On second thought, I don't think lowering the minimum SDK version would help. Here's what I found out:

Google didn't implement the necessary classes that the module hooks into until 4.0 ICS (for one of the hooks) and 4.1 JB (for the other hook). So whatever apps you're using on 2.3 GB must have their own non-standardized implementations to display the overflow button.

Which apps in particular are you having trouble with?

killoid

Feb 5, 2013
On second thought, I don't think lowering the minimum SDK version would help. Here's what I found out:

Google didn't implement the necessary classes that the module hooks into until 4.0 ICS (for one of the hooks) and 4.1 JB (for the other hook). So whatever apps you're using on 2.3 GB must have their own non-standardized implementations to display the overflow button.

Which apps in particular are you having trouble with?

in telegram messenger. i contacted them to include an option to remove that menu button if one's device has a hardware menu button. still didn't get that,so i thought this module might help.

Reactions: JJohnson1988

JJohnson1988

Dec 10, 2013
California
You may be in luck.

Certain action bar features are able to work in older Android versions due to a support library, and I'm pretty positive Telegram Messenger uses ActionBarSherlock to obtain this compatibility.

http://actionbarsherlock.com/

It's pretty common, so I wouldn't be surprised. I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

I'm also going to experiment with Daniele Segato's v7 support library tomorrow as well.

https://github.com/danielesegato/android-support-library-archive/tree/master/v7/appcompat

Last edited:
Reactions: killoid
G

GuestK0036

It's possible to remove 3-dots button in calculator app please? :fingers-crossed:
Using Noverflow for now but 3-dots button in calculator app still here!

Last edited:

JJohnson1988

Dec 10, 2013
California
Well, I couldn't sleep and decided to get my coding on.

v1.1 changelog:
- Bumped up minSdkVersion to 14 (will change if I can make older Android versions compatible)

Looks like you got your wish, Micks29!

Actually, do me a favor and test out the calculator app with v1.1. I'm pretty certain the button is removed now, but when I uninstalled the module to verify certain apps were again displaying the overflow button, the button that normally shows up in the calculator is still missing. Not that I'm complaining, but it's not the behavior I was expecting.

Last edited:
G

GuestK0036

Well, I couldn't sleep and decided to get my coding on.

v1.1 changelog:

Looks like you got your wish, Micks29!

Great thank a lot man ! Overflow button in Calculator app is gone !
I keep definitly your module, thanks again. :good:
Actually, do me a favor and test out the calculator app with v1.1. I'm pretty certain the button is removed now, but when I uninstalled the module to verify certain apps were again displaying the overflow button, the button that normally shows up in the calculator is still missing. Not that I'm
complaining, but it's not the behavior I was expecting.
I just tried to disable mod, reboot and the overflow button is back so the behavior is ok for me.

What about a module name more short? R.A.O.B for example...anyway it's not a big deal ;)

Last edited:

JJohnson1988

Dec 10, 2013
California
I think I just need sleep. That might explain everything. :D

As for a shorter name, I originally had "overflow:hidden;” in mind, based on the very useful CSS rule. But Android Studio gave me crap because of the colon and semicolon. Maybe I'll try again later?

JJohnson1988

Dec 10, 2013
California
What do you guys think about the AOSP Clock and Phone apps? There are overflow buttons in those apps and the hardware menu button doesn't seem to do anything.

Do you think it would be tasteful and worthwhile to bind the menus to the hardware key instead and remove the overflow buttons? Or keep it the way it is?

G

GuestK0036

What do you guys think about the AOSP Clock and Phone apps? There are overflow buttons in those apps and the hardware menu button doesn't seem to do anything.

Do you think it would be tasteful and worthwhile to bind the menus to the hardware key instead and remove the overflow buttons? Or keep it the way it is?
Good idea for Clock app! But for Phone app I think that will be not esthetic to have a blank space on the right side relative to other buttons (call log & dialer buttons).

Last edited:

a4apple

Feb 23, 2013

hmm.... if we can have the option for that, it would be great. For me, I did use the overflow button on those apps. Can you please remove the overflow button on the aosp browser as well?

What if the keypad/phone icon took the position of where the overflow button was?

Not a bad idea!:D

Reactions: JJohnson1988

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    overflow:hidden;
    AKA Remove Action Overflow Button

"Because naming your module after a CSS rule is fashionable and socially acceptable!"

A simple module that completely removes the action overflow button from various apps. Useful for people that have a hardware menu button on their device and don't want to see the superfluous button on action bars.

This is similar to another module: "Noverflow" by el1t. However, my implementation should be more thorough in removing the overflow button from sometimes-stingy apps, such as Google Chrome.

Only tested on 4.4 CM-based ROMs, but it should work on previous versions of Android (anything 4.0 ICS or newer should be okay), as well as ROMs that aren't CM-based. If not, let me know and I'll try to resolve the problem.

Thank you to GravityBox for originally implementing the important lines of code!

Instructions:

Download, install, enable and reboot. No configuration interface included, nor is one necessary.

Changelog:

Code:
    v1.0:
    Initial release

v1.1:

v1.2:
    - New name and icon!
    - Only attempt to hook methods if user's version of Android has original methods properly implemented

v1.3:
    - Removed overflow button in AOSP browser app (thanks, a4apple!)
    - General project clean-up (APK file size has been significantly reduced and leftovers from previous project name have been purged)
    - Compile project based on Java 1.7 to make use of some handy new development techniques
    - Added TODO notes within project's source to inform anyone interested in my pending tasks

v1.4:
    - Ensure the overflow button in AOSP browser app is correctly being removed
    - Change a few fields to help prevent the overflow button from being shown in some apps, in some cases
    - Use the latest Xposed API (d'oh!)

v1.41:
    - Found and removed yet another instance of the overflow button in the AOSP browser app

Download:

http://repo.xposed.info/module/me.jjohnson1988.android.xposed.removeactionoverflowbutton

Source:

https://github.com/JJohnson1988/overflow-hidden
    An update is being worked on.

Now is a good time seeing as rovo89 was able to get Xposed running on ART.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    Just so you guys know, I am indeed still alive and kicking. Still dealing with depression and other health problems, and my work projects come first (I'm a web developer, hence the name of the module).

I'm also researching GUIs for Android apps as I'm still relatively new to app development. But don't worry because I have all your suggestions and improvements written down and have even found some new overflow buttons with recent Google updates.

I'm also replacing my Galaxy S3 with a OnePlus One in two or three weeks, so there should be good times ahead.

Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T)
    i747UCUFNE4 baseband/bootloader
    Thanks for asking.

I still have chronic arthritis (or maybe neurological?) pain due to a condition that I was born with, and the family situation is still pretty hectic. But otherwise I'm managing. Kinda.

Loving my OPO, at least.

It might, but it isn't (yet) targeted at Lollipop and I haven't updated the module in a while.

I've been working on it sparingly, and the methods I've attempted to override to prevent the button from being drawn in a few key locations hasn't worked yet (for unknown reasons).

Hopefully I have time to troubleshoot it later today.

And FYI guys, I finally got Lollipop on my One, so now I'll probably need someone to make sure the upcoming module works in pre-5.0 instead (as I need to override methods in the compatibility API).