FireTV 1 (bueller) TWRP Recovery

Search This thread

bula1ca

Nov 18, 2014
Would bootloader still be fully unlocked after installing TWRP? Reason I am asking is I do not get the same response in adb shell as before installing it. Thank you.

I am answering my own question:
- sending cat /proc/cmdline commend I get a return unlocked_kernel=true

Last edited:

DonBongJohn

Jul 18, 2016
Hey guys,
I did the steps for the locked bootloader and I didn't notice that there were errors.
It is rooted and busybox is installed. But it's stuck at the amazon logo while booting.
When I do the combination with my keyboard it only reboots.

Do you think it's possible to unbrick it when I buy an USB-A to USB-A cable?
Version is: 51.1.5.0 30720

Thanks for your help!

Update: Ok I was able to open the stock recovery mode and it was reseting but it still won't boot.
I'll wait an hour now.

Didn't work still booting.

Last edited:

LocoMexican

Mar 12, 2017
Some how, after successfully loading and running the new cmw and twrp and latest rooted rom, I somehow seem to have lost root! I don't know how I succeeded in doing this, but succeed I did. So, with your latest cmw (firetv cwm recovery 6.0.5.1.4a img), twrp (bueller twrp 3.0.0-6.img) and rooted rom (bueller 5.2.1.2 rooted.zip) already installed, is there anyway to reacquire root? I have and flashed a superuser zip, which flashes OK, but doesn't give superuser status. For instance, will something like Kingroot work? Any help or suggestion is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

bula1ca

Nov 18, 2014
Some how, after successfully loading and running the new cmw and twrp and latest rooted rom, I somehow seem to have lost root! I don't know how I succeeded in doing this, but succeed I did. So, with your latest cmw (firetv cwm recovery 6.0.5.1.4a img), twrp (bueller twrp 3.0.0-6.img) and rooted rom (bueller 5.2.1.2 rooted.zip) already installed, is there anyway to reacquire root? I have and flashed a superuser zip, which flashes OK, but doesn't give superuser status. For instance, will something like Kingroot work? Any help or suggestion is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Flash again 5.2.1.2 rooted.zip using TWRP.
If you watch closer its installation you will see that su will install as well, one more thing if you lose root you will lose TWRP as well. How did you determined that you lost root?

Last edited:

LocoMexican

Mar 12, 2017
Flash again 5.2.1.2 rooted.zip using TWRP.
If you watch closer its installation you will see that su will install as well, one more thing if you lose root you will lose TWRP as well. How did you determined that you lost root?

Thanks for getting back to me. Looking back on this episode, I know now how I may have felt like I lost root. The device works just fine right now. But, instead of doing a factory wipe, I did a format. I know, dumb. Nevertheless, twrp saved the device because when I went to reboot, it warned I had no O/S. So, I did not reboot, but went back and installed the new rooted rom. Everything seemed to work. Got back to normal, went through the AFTV set-up, got everything back to normal, and then started on trying to add Google Play store. Using the AFTV app, I got xposed installed, etc. then went to do the computer inputs, but from the adb shell, it would not go into superuser. Still doesn't. I have noticed, as you point out, the su install during the installation of the rooted rom. So, my problem with getting into su from adb remains a ???. Any suggestion for this because from the appearance it is not rooted. I am a duffer when it comes to this, as is obvious. If I'm in the wrong forum, please move, but for what its worth, the product introduced in this forum loads and works great. Thanks again for any of your suggestions.

LocoMexican

Mar 12, 2017
Thanks for getting back to me. Looking back on this episode, I know now how I may have felt like I lost root. The device works just fine right now. But, instead of doing a factory wipe, I did a format. I know, dumb. Nevertheless, twrp saved the device because when I went to reboot, it warned I had no O/S. So, I did not reboot, but went back and installed the new rooted rom. Everything seemed to work. Got back to normal, went through the AFTV set-up, got everything back to normal, and then started on trying to add Google Play store. Using the AFTV app, I got xposed installed, etc. then went to do the computer inputs, but from the adb shell, it would not go into superuser. Still doesn't. I have noticed, as you point out, the su install during the installation of the rooted rom. So, my problem with getting into su from adb remains a ???. Any suggestion for this because from the appearance it is not rooted. I am a duffer when it comes to this, as is obvious. If I'm in the wrong forum, please move, but for what its worth, the product introduced in this forum loads and works great. Thanks again for any of your suggestions.

OK, figured it out. Su comes up, fine. Thanks for all your help.

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
Forgot for what reason this changed but on PreRooted FireOS 5 FW. You don't just go into SuperUser mode. You first have to input an "SU" command on your ADB window on your PC & set it to "Always Allowed" when your FireTV prompts you to grant SuperUser access to ADB on your TV. You get less then 15 seconds to do this. But you only need to do this once.

You can kind of see it in this guide:

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-inst...d-an-initial-rom-on-a-rooted-fire-tv-stick-1/

It's in steps 8-9. This is true of all three versions of Rooted FTV devices. But on FTV1's it will say "bueller:" instead of "montoya:". The SU ADB command must be done any time you want to enter SuperUser mode on ADB. But the "Always Allowed" only has to be done once.

stick-1-twrp-adb-shell.png

stick-1-twrp-adb-shell-su.png

Last edited:

LocoMexican

Mar 12, 2017
Forgot for what reason this changed but on PreRooted FireOS 5 FW. You don't just go into SuperUser mode. You first have to input an "SU" command on your ADB window & set it to "Always Allowed" when your FireTV prompts you to grant SuperUser access to ADB.

You can kind of see it in this guide:

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-inst...d-an-initial-rom-on-a-rooted-fire-tv-stick-1/

It's in steps 8-9. This is true of all three versions of Rooted FTV devices. But on FTV1's it will say "bueller:" instead of "montoya:". This must be done any time you want to enter SuperUser mode on ADB.

stick-1-twrp-adb-shell.png

stick-1-twrp-adb-shell-su.png

Thanks for that info. What I found is that when I connected my laptop to the aftv via usb cable I had to actually watch the aftv screen on the TV. If I only looked at the computer screen and entered su, the computer cursor would flash for a few seconds and then go back to the prior prompt. But, if I watched the tv screen when I entered su, the tv screen would prompt me to accept or reject. As soon I clicked accept via the aftv, the computer cursor would then show and go into root. Weird, but that's how I "figured it out". It's called paying attention, a.k.a operator error. Anyway, thanks for your help. As for this original post, I also got the loop first discussed on the first page of this post. I just did a fresh reload on the CMW and then the rooted rom loaded and worked perfectly. Thanks again.

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
Thanks for that info. What I found is that when I connected my laptop to the aftv via usb cable I had to actually watch the aftv screen on the TV. If I only looked at the computer screen and entered su, the computer cursor would flash for a few seconds and then go back to the prior prompt. But, if I watched the tv screen when I entered su, the tv screen would prompt me to accept or reject. As soon I clicked accept via the aftv, the computer cursor would then show and go into root. Weird, but that's how I "figured it out". It's called paying attention, a.k.a operator error. Anyway, thanks for your help. As for this original post, I also got the loop first discussed on the first page of this post. I just did a fresh reload on the CMW and then the rooted rom loaded and worked perfectly. Thanks again.
np, modded my prior post so it is more clear.

1jimmy007

Mar 18, 2017
Recovery for firetv 1. So your saying we don't need 3.o.o-6 recovery....

I updated the OP with 3.0.0-7 TWRP image. If things are working for you, and you install the latest ROM with 3.0.0-7, you don't need this. This is only for if you still have the looping, install this, then install the latest ROM, and you'll be good to go.

So just go from cwm recovery on os3 on firetv 1 to twrp 3.0.0-7, reboot into recovery and load latest prerooted rom?....

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
So just go from cwm recovery on os3 on firetv 1 to twrp 3.0.0-7, reboot into recovery and load latest prerooted rom?....
You can go from one of the two v3.0.0-7 options. Which version of the two v3.0.0-7 depends from what FW & CWM your updating from & if you have an unlocked bootloader. Go thru all the requirements to find out what applies to your situation.

Just make sure your using the v3.0.0-7 of either one that is for your situation instead of v3.0.0-6 that the guide mentions. Since v3.0.0-7 is the latest one.

Make sure you go step by step and verify on what starting point you are on. Since the most important thing is to have a good installation of TWRP. Once TWRP is correctly install on your FTV1. Your pretty much set. Since you can always go into TWRP & reflash your FTV1 if anything goes wrong.

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-install-twrp-custom-recovery-on-a-rooted-fire-tv-1/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1jimmy007

1jimmy007

Mar 18, 2017
No content from amazon after twrp install and latest rom install

You can go from one of the two v3.0.0-7 options. Which version of the two v3.0.0-7 depends from what FW & CWM your updating from & if you have an unlocked bootloader. Go thru all the requirements to find out what applies to your situation.

Just make sure your using the v3.0.0-7 of either one that is for your situation instead of v3.0.0-6 that the guide mentions. Since v3.0.0-7 is the latest one.

Make sure you go step by step and verify on what starting point you are on. Since the most important thing is to have a good installation of TWRP. Once TWRP is correctly install on your FTV1. Your pretty much set. Since you can always go into TWRP & reflash your FTV1 if anything goes wrong.

Hi, I have an aft box v1. Just updated to twrp 3.0.0-7 and install latest rom 5.2.1.2. Went well, but now I have no amazon content on home screen?! I'm blocking amazon updates using opendns. Could this be a problem? Or do I need to go back in twrp and just wipe cache?

Never mind I needed to register amazon account! All set!

---------- Post added at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 AM ----------

Hi, I got box up and running good now.... But Netflix won't download or load.... do I have to hide root with root hide app to install Netflix app. Amazon won't let it download and install!!

Last edited:

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
Hi, I got box up and running good now.... But Netflix won't download or load.... do I have to hide root with root hide app to install Netflix app. Amazon won't let it download and install!!
Root has never affected Neflix. I think you need to uninstall whatever current version of Netflix you have. Then try to install latest from Amazon cloud (FTV Apps section). Instead of trying to update it.

1jimmy007

Mar 18, 2017
No go! I'm trying to push old Netflix red ask from amazon app store

Root has never affected Neflix. I think you need to uninstall whatever current version of Netflix you have. Then try to install latest from Amazon cloud (FTV Apps section). Instead of trying to update it.

Old app was uninstalled... never could load newer version of netflix.... I'm having amazon app store push old netflix red app to my aftv box v1. I'll keep u posted on progress. ..

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
Old app was uninstalled... never could load newer version of netflix.... I'm having amazon app store push old netflix red app to my aftv box v1. I'll keep u posted on progress. ..
humn, never had problems installing an app from my FTV so far. You might have to go into TWRP & "wipe" cache & dalvik cache. And reinstall the FW.

BTW from reading here there is only one way to verify TWRP installed correctly. That is to do a restart of the FTV. Most folks that have a bad TRWP don't know it until after a reboot of their device. I haven't had to deal with that yet.

Also make sure you do both device based OTA update blocking that is linked to on the Guide I linked to above.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1jimmy007

1jimmy007

Mar 18, 2017
I have good boot into twrp and os5 5.2.1.2 r2

humn, never had problems installing an app from my FTV so far. You might have to go into TWRP & "wipe" cache & dalvik cache. And reinstall the FW.

BTW from reading here there is only one way to verify TWRP installed correctly. That is to do a restart of the FTV. Most folks that have a bad TRWP don't know it until after a reboot of their device. I haven't had to deal with that yet.

Also make sure you do both device based OTA update blocking that is linked to on the Guide I linked to above.

I just can't get Netflix app to work, new or old app... I have open dns blocking updates. I know this because I tried to check for updates and no update information come from amazon.

Are there new links I should block in open dns?

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
I just can't get Netflix app to work, new or old app... I have open dns blocking updates. I know this because I tried to check for updates and no update information come from amazon.

Are there new links I should block in open dns?
If that is your only Amazon device. Then you don't need to block anything as long as you have done at least "Method 5” before first boot & then "Method 1" after first boot. The OpenDNS & router methods are not as safe since there is no full list of addresses to block that is being kept. The update address can change at anytime at Amazon's whim.

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-block-software-updates-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-or-fire-tv-stick/

I'll post the addresses I am aware of shortly.

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
@1jimmy007 - This are the five addresses I am aware of...

Code:
address=/amzdigital-a.akamaihd.net/127.0.0.1
address=/amzdigitaldownloads.edgesuite.net/127.0.0.1
address=/softwareupdates.amazon.com/127.0.0.1
address=/updates.amazon.com/127.0.0.1
address=/a1896.g.akamai.net/127.0.0.1

The above is in a format for adding to a Tomato Router for blocking. I find it much quicker & as effective as OpenDNS blocking. You just add them in the Advanced/"DHCP/DNS"/Dnsmasq Custom configuration box & save the settings. And you just delete them & saved to inactivate blocking of those addresses. This works great on https & non-https addresses on Tomato flashed routers.

For OpenDNS the address would be:

Code:
amzdigital-a.akamaihd.net
amzdigitaldownloads.edgesuite.net
softwareupdates.amazon.com
updates.amazon.com
a1896.g.akamai.net

Some are even running longer lists:

Code:
firs-ta-g7g.amazon.com
amzdigitaldownloads.edgesuite.net
softwareupdates.amazon.com
updates.amazon.com
atv-ext.amazon.com
a1910.d.akamai.net
amzdigital-a.akamaihd.net
amzdigital-b.akamaihd.net
amzdigital.akamaihd.net

But they are reporting that they "cannot download media apps (hbo, netflix, et al) with this blocklist:".

So that is why my best recommendation is to get away from OpenDNS or address blocking & just do first Method 5 before booting into newly flashed PreRooted FW & Method 1 as soon as you have ADB enabled. Both methods together are the best option. One method can survive FW updates & the other one can survive Factory Resets.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's finally here! TWRP recovery for the Fire TV 1. Most likely, I will not be updating this thread with new releases, as the prerooted ROMs will always contain the latest version. This thread is just here so people on Fire OS 3 can install TWRP and people on rooted but locked bootloader Fire TV 1's can get recovery initially installed.

As usual, this WILL void your warranty and I am NOT responsible for anything you do with this. Installing it properly won't brick your Fire TV, but doing stupid things with it might.

Installing this requires root. If you are not rooted, figure that out first.

Installation for Unlocked Bootloader
    1. Make sure you are on a FULLY unlocked bootloader. From within FireOS and after running su run this:
      Code:
      cat /proc/cmdline
      And MAKE SURE unlocked_kernel=true is present! If it is not, you are NOT fully unlocked and you must Fully Unlock first!
    2. Make sure you are on at least 51.1.4.0 ROM and the latest CWM installed.
    3. Copy the bueller-twrp_3.0.0-6.img file to /sdcard
    4. From within adb shell, use su to become root, and run this command (are you sure you did step 1?)
      Code:
      dd if=/data/media/0/bueller-twrp_3.0.0-6.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
    5. From outside adb shell, reboot to recovery
      Code:
      adb reboot recovery
    6. TWRP should load, you can install a FireOS5 prerooted ROM now.

Installation for Locked Bootloader
    1. This requires that you are on at least version 5.0.5 and rooted.
    2. Copy the bueller_recovery_vX.zip file to /sdcard
    3. From within adb shell, use su to become root, and run this command (replace vX with the actual version you downloaded)
      Code:
      sh /data/media/0/bueller_recovery_vX.zip
    4. Reboot

Notes
    This includes bootmenu. For everyone that loved the old bootmenu with Comic Sans, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the Comic Sans is gone. When the FireTV boots, it will present you with the bootmenu where you can leave it alone and it will boot normally or you can select recovery and it will boot in to recovery. You do need a USB keyboard to interact with the bootmenu. To force it to boot in to Recovery, you can create a file /cache/bootmenu_recovery.

DHCP for Ethernet is enabled, and if there is enough demand I may add in wifi at some point. The IP address should show up in the top left corner.

USB storage and USB keyboard/mice should all work. Hotplugging works, so you should be able to plug and unplug devices as needed.

You can use a USB keyboard, mouse, or the mouse emulator to interact with it. To use a keyboard, you can use the arrow keys to move the cursor and the enter key to select buttons. Sliders don't require sliding, so you can just hit enter/click on them. To use the mouse emulator, use adb shell and then run the program mouse and follow the instructions.

ROMs
    Recovery must be included in all ROMs. If you want to develop a ROM, please contact me about including recovery in it.

Installing zips
    You can push zips to /sdcard, put it on a USB storage, or use adb sideload. Do note you need adb version 1.0.32 to use adb sideload.

Stuck in a loop?
    If you cannot boot normally and keep going back to the bootmenu, wipe Cache from Wipe -> Advanced Wipe.

Source Code
    You can find the source code here:
    https://github.com/androidrbox/firetv-2ndinit
    https://github.com/androidrbox/android_bootable_recovery

WARNINGS

• It is extremely important you never reboot after a failure. This will most likely lead to a brick. If recovery is hung, you can use adb shell to run
      Code:
      killall recovery
      to restart it
    • It is also extremely important to never reboot after wiping /system.

Finally, thanks to everyone who has donated to me.

Changelog and Downloads:
    • July 7, 2016 - v2 (md5sum: 8f65187cb0cbc190a7d64f512ae3ede2)
      • This is the updated version with TWRP 3.0.0-7.
    • July 4, 2016 - TWRP Image 3.0.0-7 (md5sum: cda1a1c1cdd3e25a1caa86f5a5de1eee)
    • May 20, 2016 - v1 (md5sum: 9208d81fd07cff9952de5be33c62f730)
      • This is for use by people who have FireOS5 and are rooted.
      • This includes 2ndinit version a7a48c and TWRP version 3.0.0-6.
    • May 20, 2016 - TWRP Image (md5sum: 5dc83370046e5b50755ddb55fe8424ad)
      • This is for use by people who have FireOS3 and CWM and is TWRP version 3.0.0-6.
    This test image worked for me but my tv is only 720p so the graphics overlap and it is VERY hard to use. Any chance of getting a version with a 720p theme instead?

Ask and ye shall receive... This has the looping fix and a possible 720 fix.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/uzvjvjb5ydvyja3/bueller-twrp-test8.img
    Worked great!! Thanks so much for all your hard work!

Okay. Well unfortunately bootmenu will still be jacked up. And I won't have time until next week to make a proper release with all these fixes... but it should keep you guys happy until then.
    I can't imagine why a TV would cause TWRP to crash, but at this point I can't explain it.

New TV did nothing, as you suspected.

I did get it to work though, Here's what I did.
    Reflashed latest CWM
    Full wipe in CWM (Not sure if this was needed?)
    adb shelll WHILE IN CWM and flashed TWRP
    did adb reboot recovery and TWRP loaded, Now I flashed pre-rooted 5.0.5 rom
    To anyone still experiencing the flashing problem and/or anyone who had it fixed with test8:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/m84irafe8idoklm/bueller-twrp-test9.img

Hopefully this fixes it?