Titan GPS "Fix" - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Search This thread

gc14

Dec 21, 2007
Boston, MA
THIS THREAD IS OUTDATED. aGPS SOLUTIONS NOW EXIST FOR ALMOST ALL CARRIERS.

VERIZON USERS SHOULD USE THIS LINK FOR NEW INSTRUCTIONS:

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=VerizonAGPSFix

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is a link to the "fix" we've been working on for the Titan GPS.

We've gotten mixed results with the testing thus far. Some who have NEVER been able to achieve a lock have gotten locks within 30 seconds. Some say they don't see any change.

I must reiterate though that this "fix" is not something that works wonders. It merely helps the current situation. People who have trouble getting an initial fix, people who don't see locks for 5-10 minutes, etc may see improvement with this. Since I've applied it, I've noticed consistent initial locks taking anywhere between 30-60 seconds on Verizon. I'm happy with that for now. If you apply the fix and don't see any improvement, it doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't work, as others are seeing results. Unfortunately, we've been unable to determine why this happens.

You still have to use the same steps as you normally would for using the GPS. This does not negate the act of priming it or using a launcher. Do everything as you normally would after you apply the fix.

The Titan GPS, though functional, will NEVER be able to function like it does for Sprint customers. Until other carriers provide access to a PDE aGPS server, there will always be hardships for the customers. No amount of hacking, fixing, or upgrading can remedy this.

THIS FIX IS NOT INTENDED FOR SPRINT

THIS FIX WILL PERSIST THROUGH FLASHES OF ROM/RADIO.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK - I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING YOU DO TO YOUR DEVICE

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=TitanGpsFix

Last edited:

MrTek

Feb 27, 2007
I successfully completed this procedure on Vista64 SP1 without issue.

Now I just need to go outside and see if I get a better fix!

Thanks GC for a great and simple tutorial.

ranmasaotome510

Nov 10, 2007
I successfully completed this procedure on Vista64 SP1 without issue.

Now I just need to go outside and see if I get a better fix!

Thanks GC for a great and simple tutorial.

if this is supposed to do what we Sprint users have, then you shouldn't even need to go outside :D. I wish you the best of luck.

aguas

Apr 6, 2008
im gonna try it on my xv6800 in a few.
backing up right now...

edit: just did it and WOW! on a cold boot, it connected to my exact position wiht 4 sats without even shifting. all in 38 seconds (timed it). by far the fastest ive ever gotten in my house. soft reset and went outside, and got an exact lock in 5 SECONDS! holy christ, gc you are the man.

Last edited:

760hacker

Nov 15, 2007
NOVA
Thanks!

GC, I will try this as soon as i get home from work and report results. God I can hardly work waiting to do this.

scotcha12345

Feb 4, 2007
Provo Utah
Problem

GC, trying the fix now. I've downloaded all of the required apps.

Just for reference, I'm using:
DCD 3.1.2 ROM w/ Radio 3.39, w/ provider: Verizon

I just tried:
Put the phone in DMR Mode by dialing ##3424 and pressing send, or dialing ##3424# (depends on carrier). ActiveSync will disconnect, and the PC should recognize the phone as an HTC USB Modem and will install the drivers.

Both options, whether ##3424 and hit the green phone button...or ##3424# failed to open DMR mode for me. All I receive are a response by Verizon indicating that The phone number either disconnected, is no longer in service. etc.

I'll look around for another option. (This is similar with trying to access the options by calling to change how often the radio toward is checked for calls...I had to go directly into Windows and click ePST )

scotcha12345

Feb 4, 2007
Provo Utah
Right

I used the fix for SPB Pocket Plus that would make the Dialer continually pop up by installing a similar dialer I downloaded. (fixes the problem).

Should I proceed to reinstall the Cab from Verizon, or entirely discontinue the process?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that is not content with the GPS mode...from a cold start, 10 minutes can be average.

serfboreds

Jan 16, 2008
Santa Barbara
Looks good.

Thanks for the easy tutorial, went smoothly and I think it is a bit better. Edit: I know it is better, I just connected inside work where I never could connect before.

I notice that using TomTom I always before had No GPS signal for about 10 seconds, then it would say waiting for a valid GPS signal for another 10 seconds to three minutes or so, sometimes not at all until reboot. When I did it after the update it said No GPS for about five seconds and went straight to "lost gps signal 4 seconds ago". The longest it took to connect was 10 seconds after five tries (longest was after pressing the power button while in the program then waking it up...go figure).

Will you be able to integrate these drivers into the new builds for DCD? Or will we need to do this as the drivers are released.

Just out of curiosity, I know these aren't Verizon drivers, what provider are they ripped from? Will this be something that will be possible to update as new drivers are released?

Sorry for all the questions, another solid release guys.

Last edited:

MrTek

Feb 27, 2007
BTW - Is anyone using HTC GPS on their phones when they applied this fix? Does HTC GPS even have an impact?

gc14

Dec 21, 2007
Boston, MA
I used the fix for SPB Pocket Plus that would make the Dialer continually pop up by installing a similar dialer I downloaded. (fixes the problem).

Should I proceed to reinstall the Cab from Verizon, or entirely discontinue the process?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that is not content with the GPS mode...from a cold start, 10 minutes can be average.

Whatever dialer or dialer fix you're using is preventing ## codes. You need to go back to the stock dialer you installed from the kitchen, then reinstall the carrier cab. After that, start over. (You don't have to reinstall the wmodem drivers or qpst)

etexter

Dec 4, 2007
Verizon 6900 Results

I performed the fix on my 6900 and it seemed to get locks quicker after a few soft resets. Not sure if it's placebo yet but will let it run for a few days.

I'm also seeing more sats locked. Not sure the why, but I was normally seeing 5-6 at my desk and I'm seeing 8 now.

Cycomachead

Mar 3, 2008
thanks I may try this when a working PC comes back...
But what exactly does this change on the phone?
Also is it possible that settings from a Sprint phone (PDE and all) could be mirrored into QPST for a Verizon phone?

MrTek

Feb 27, 2007
I did this fix before I flashed to 3.1.6. After flashing, I connected it to check, and all the boxes are still checked.

So I believe it survives a flash :)

coffey_joshua

Jan 13, 2008
not much luck. still took almost 1.5 minutes. I'm not concerned but I'm going to check it again in a while just too see if i can get a faster lock later on tonight

Thanks for the work and continued support for this community

verizon 6800

shapiror06

Dec 9, 2007
Akron
thanks sooo much gc14 and dcd. you guys are great!

i was the one who started the original thread about this issue, and this fix has helped tremendously! it still took about ~1.5 minutes, but it was a bit cloudy and it was the first lock since upgrading to dcd 3.1.6.

awesome work though! i can't wait till verizon gets some gps servers up and running (i have a friend that works fro verizon and he swears that verizon is releasing their official rom soon, w/ gps enabled so i'd assume their launching some sort of gps server. who knows though, verizon makes lot of promises). we can only hope!

as of now, this fix works just fine for me, so thank you both very much!

madjokeer

Aug 10, 2006
GREAT!

Wow man this was an excellent fix for the gps.. when i used the HTC GPS tool, it took maybe minute or more to lock with GPSMODE=4, with this fix, it also took about a minute still.. So i changed GPSMODE back to 2 and did a softreset... wow, it locked like in 10 sec.. never before in my house it did that!! one up for this fix!

Rom: no2chem 5067 kitchen
radio: 3.39