[App] Power Switch - turn off your screen by shutting the case!

Search This thread

ftgg99

Account currently disabled
Mar 20, 2010
Hi guys, Im the dev of an app that will allow you to send your Tab to sleep when you shut its case. The PR is after the break.

Now that we have three high end tablets with proximity sensors (Note, 7+ and 7.7) its time we did some testing to see what sensitivities we should set in the app by default.

Please help us out with this. Simply download the free app, mess around with proximity settings until they work and report back what lever (in %) you needed.

Note that the current auto-selection prompt will only enable the light sensor if you pick "Tablet" in the first run dialog. You will need to turn the proximity detection on manually in the app's settings, as your tablets actually have this sensor!

Thanks in advance, and i hope you like the app :)

--------------------------------

Power Switch:

Power Switch is a tool for devices with cases - somewhat like the SmartCover, it will turn off the screen when you shut the case. If you have a device with poor
battery life, Power Switch can save tons of juice by switching it off entirely after a given amount of time asleep.

The app works best on phones using the proximity sensor. On tablets, the light sensor is the most efficient method of knowing that the case has been closed.

Features:

- Sleep seconds after shutting case
- Automatic shutdown (rooted devices only)
- Set up a schedule using Night Mode
- Configure sensor sensitivity
- Facedown to turn screen off
- Persistent notification
- Plays sound to let you know that the screen has turned off

The app has gone through an extensive testing process here at XDA under another name. Thanks to everyone who helped make it happen, you're the best!

Remember to adjust the light sensor sensitivity settings in a light environment for best performance, and use Night Mode if you are on a tablet with a poor ambient light sensor.

If you have any comments or suggestions, please use this thread or the in-app feedback tool. Please be aware that we ignore logs without descriptions.

Market link:

https://market.android.com/details?id=fahrbot.apps.powerswitch.demo

The Lite version of the app is exactly the same as the Pro, only the timers are restricted to a minimum of twelve seconds.

Screens:

Reactions: denkext

Zadeis

Dec 31, 2011
I'll definitely try this when I get my tablet back from Samsung in the next couple days! Thanks!

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
Please do, let me know.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using xda premium

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
Right, but what were they? Stick to the topic please.

painter_

Dec 10, 2006
North Eastern Ohio
I reinstalled the app, to get it to work and not be intrusive I have the light sensor set at 13% and the prox set at 33%. It takes about 20 seconds to turn off the screen after I close the case.

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
I reinstalled the app, to get it to work and not be intrusive I have the light sensor set at 13% and the prox set at 33%. It takes about 20 seconds to turn off the screen after I close the case.

In the lite version, the minimum time is 12 seconds...

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
Please don't do that, its not cool. Added to ignore list.

MOD EDIT: There is no reason to name call when someone is trying to be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

acolwill

Providing users with a free alternative is most certainly cool.
It's up to you, as a developer, to give the users a reason to purchase YOUR application with features which the other developers don't offer.

Adding people to your ignore list is obtuse, it shows you're not open to fair competition and gives the users another reason NOT to go for your paid apps.

wallacel

Apr 25, 2006
It doesnt work on my galaxy tab 7.7 when I close the lid of my samsung book cover. I have tried on proximity sensor, proximity + light sensor, both failed

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
Considering that there are no real custom roms for the 7.7 and it works perfectly my my own tab, you should be trying different sensitivity settings.

rogerperk

Aug 11, 2010
North Carolina
It's up to you, as a developer, to give the users a reason to purchase YOUR application with features which the other developers don't offer.

Adding people to your ignore list is obtuse, it shows you're not open to fair competition and gives the users another reason NOT to go for your paid apps.
Gotta agree.

Reactions: tzacapaca

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hate to point this out...

It's been done before, and for free....

Here.
    Hi guys, Im the dev of an app that will allow you to send your Tab to sleep when you shut its case. The PR is after the break.

Now that we have three high end tablets with proximity sensors (Note, 7+ and 7.7) its time we did some testing to see what sensitivities we should set in the app by default.

Please help us out with this. Simply download the free app, mess around with proximity settings until they work and report back what lever (in %) you needed.

Note that the current auto-selection prompt will only enable the light sensor if you pick "Tablet" in the first run dialog. You will need to turn the proximity detection on manually in the app's settings, as your tablets actually have this sensor!

Thanks in advance, and i hope you like the app :)

--------------------------------

Power Switch:

Power Switch is a tool for devices with cases - somewhat like the SmartCover, it will turn off the screen when you shut the case. If you have a device with poor
    battery life, Power Switch can save tons of juice by switching it off entirely after a given amount of time asleep.

The app works best on phones using the proximity sensor. On tablets, the light sensor is the most efficient method of knowing that the case has been closed.

Features:

- Sleep seconds after shutting case
    - Automatic shutdown (rooted devices only)
    - Set up a schedule using Night Mode
    - Configure sensor sensitivity
    - Facedown to turn screen off
    - Persistent notification
    - Plays sound to let you know that the screen has turned off

The app has gone through an extensive testing process here at XDA under another name. Thanks to everyone who helped make it happen, you're the best!

Remember to adjust the light sensor sensitivity settings in a light environment for best performance, and use Night Mode if you are on a tablet with a poor ambient light sensor.

If you have any comments or suggestions, please use this thread or the in-app feedback tool. Please be aware that we ignore logs without descriptions.

Market link:

https://market.android.com/details?id=fahrbot.apps.powerswitch.demo

The Lite version of the app is exactly the same as the Pro, only the timers are restricted to a minimum of twelve seconds.

Screens:

Gotta agree.
    Hate to point this out...

It's been done before, and for free....

Here.
    Thank you good sir. You are doing the lords work :p