SMS app features

Search This thread

andreasy

Apr 2, 2005
I know that this may be wishfull thinking but since the stock SMS app has very limited functionality, I am looking for the ideal SMS app that will at least support the following:

1) Ability to view system folders (inbox/sent/drafts/deleted) as well as create your own for archiving messages
2) Save templates (i.e. save x-mas wishes, or birthday wishes) and retrieve easily to reuse without much fuss. It would be also very good if you could backup those so that you can restore when you hard-reset.
3) A very nice feature will be the ability to resolve a phone number within a message to the contacts name. For example, when you receive a notification from your carrier about a missed call, instead of calling that number in order to find out who it is, it would be nic to see the name directly.
4) Also, it would be nice if the sms app would wake up the display and if the led could flash forever until you confirm the notification.

If anyone found something that covers those requirements, I will owe a big "Thanks" :)

andreasy

Apr 2, 2005
I have tried ChompSMS but it doesn't fulfill my requirements. Here are my findings:

1) Doesn't resolve the number to contact within the message
2) One thing I hate with mosts SMS apps (including stock) is that you see all messages in one list (both incoming and outgoing) so, for some of them I get confused and wonder if I was the one who sent that OK/Yes/No message or if it is one I received.
3) NO DRAFTS unless you pre-enter the number
4) No folders for archiving
5) I don't like the list interface (stock is better)
6) Nice that it has templates and backup/restore feature.
7) display wakes up properly with nice options

Conclusion: I doubt I will find an application that will satisfy me :p

cinnak

Oct 26, 2010
Stockholm
Woha, maybe youy should lower your requirements a bit, it's a phone not a spaceship.
Give Go SMS a go (no pun intended), it's developed by folks in this forum, and i switched to it from ChompSMS. If that doesn't suit your need none will.
There's also Handscent but it sucks imho. Some people seem to like it anyway (don't think they've tried Chomp or Go though)

andreasy

Apr 2, 2005
Woha, maybe youy should lower your requirements a bit, it's a phone not a spaceship.
Give Go SMS a go (no pun intended), it's developed by folks in this forum, and i switched to it from ChompSMS. If that doesn't suit your need none will.
There's also Handscent but it sucks imho. Some people seem to like it anyway (don't think they've tried Chomp or Go though)

Having studied the debates between ChompSMS and Handcent I assume that they are exactly the same but with differences in the UI. Since I don't care too much about the nice looking interface but rather I'm looking for those specific features and bettwe usability, I won't bother testing Handcent.

I've seen some comments about GoSMS but I thought it will also be the same as those 2. I'll give it a try.