[NST]Touch-Formatter v2 [Factory restore, reset, update to 1.1 merged]

Search This thread

eded333

Apr 25, 2011
I am not responsible for any damage your nook suffers.

Officially supported by The Nooter Project for Nook Simple Touch

http://code.google.com/p/nooter/

Touch-Formatter
(Tool to return to stock)

• Information:

• What it does:
      • Formats: /data, /cache, /system
      • Installs 1.1 /system.
      • Regenerates /data automatically.

• Bugs:
      • CWM may not refresh the screen correctly when booted, move the cursor with the right keys so it refreshes the screen.
      • If CWM hangs while rebooting, dont worry, force shutdown, and start your nook again, nothing bad happens.

• Future updates: (In order of priority).
      • Update to 1.1.2
      • Be compatible with NSTG (Nook Simple Touch Glowlight)
      • Differentiate between the NST and NSTG (Nook Simple Touch Glowlight) so to make only one zip.
      • Backup /factory + Wipe the complete NST + Recreate the whole NST partition table + Restore /factory

On future updates I'll try: automatically make a backup of /factroy, recreate the whole nook partition table so that people that screw hard can breathe new life into their NST easily.

Last edited:

herofmm

Nov 28, 2011
N/A
Thanks eded333. Seems Nook touch developers are back on track. Glad to see all the busy posts. Cheer up.

ApokrifX

May 23, 2011
As some people where having trouble returning to stock after rooting, this is a semi automatic method, easy to follow, that will leave your nook stock (if you havent erased the unique data, flashing Noogie into the NST, which isnt recoverable ¬¬).
eded333,
Could you tell where unique data kept (what files)?
Hopefully, it’s small enough and easy to backup / zip
If Touch-Formatter can read the file from SD, it can restore unique data easily, right?

eded333

Apr 25, 2011
eded333,
Could you tell where unique data kept (what files)?
Hopefully, it’s small enough and easy to backup / zip
If Touch-Formatter can read the file from SD, it can restore unique data easily, right?

If i'm not wrong /rom and /factory both hold unique info for every nook, as mac, etc.
If you root your device, the only partitions which are touched are /data and /system, so dont worry for that.

Yes, it should be easy to, for example, to create a Backup.zip which did a backup of those files, partitions, or anything you want :p and then add to this or another zip a way to restore them from the SD.

Anyway there is allready a tuto for something like that, which creates a full backup of your Nook and it should be the first step before playing with it:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1142983
Edit:
The backup done by CWM dosn't backup /rom and /factory.

Last edited:

Googie2149

Jan 6, 2012
So do I have to register again after using this? Or does it stay registered? (I haven't had to wipe my Nook in a while. I'm so proud of myself! xD)

eded333

Apr 25, 2011
So do I have to register again after using this? Or does it stay registered? (I haven't had to wipe my Nook in a while. I'm so proud of myself! xD)

This completely erases /data /cache and /system.
So... yes :p, you will need to register again, after using this.

Last edited:

ApokrifX

May 23, 2011
If i'm not wrong /rom and /factory both hold unique info for every nook, as mac, etc.
If you root your device, the only partitions which are touched are /data and /system, so dont worry for that.

Yes, it should be easy to, for example, to create a Backup.zip which did a backup of those files, partitions, or anything you want :p and then add to this or another zip a way to restore them from the SD.

Anyway there is allready a tuto for something like that, which creates a full backup of your Nook and it should be the first step before playing with it:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1142983
Or you can use the latest CWM: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1360994
That’s exactly what I want to avoid – to create full 1.8GB backup.
Isn’t it nice to have tiny backup, email to self, just in case?
There is /rom folder, but no /factory one.
/rom “zipped” is 32KB only

Searched both threads you mentioned – cannot find anything related to /factory folder.
Does /rom/devconf backup sufficient? :confused:

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
That’s exactly what I want to avoid – to create full 1.8GB backup.
Isn’t it nice to have tiny backup, email to self, just in case?
There is /rom folder, but no /factory one.
/rom “zipped” is 32KB only

Searched both threads you mentioned – cannot find anything related to /factory folder.
Does /rom/devconf backup sufficient? :confused:

While your idea with just backing up the unique data (which resides in both the rom partition and the factory one) might seem a good one, what happens when you screw up your NST the way that 99% of the users that asks me for help does?

If you delete/corrupt/overwrite boot, rom, factory or data, then your tiny rom backup won't help you much unless you can get a copy of the other partitions from someone else.

And then there's the problem with alignment of the data partition, which is part of an extended partition.. The first thing people usually kills is the partition table , and simply restoring it from another NST will (in 70% of the cases) not bring back the extended partitions :)

My vote would be a little yes and mostly no ;)

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
While your idea with just backing up the unique data (which resides in both the rom partition and the factory one) might seem a good one, what happens when you screw up your NST the way that 99% of the users that asks me for help does?

If you delete/corrupt/overwrite boot, rom, factory or data, then your tiny rom backup won't help you much unless you can get a copy of the other partitions from someone else.

And then there's the problem with alignment of the data partition, which is part of an extended partition.. The first thing people usually kills is the partition table , and simply restoring it from another NST will (in 70% of the cases) not bring back the extended partitions :)

My vote would be a little yes and mostly no ;)

I think a backup of ROM itself should be a yes. Because if you have that and somehow completely absolutely destroy your partition, you will be able to with a little work and kindness from others eventually completely restore your device, in fact you could create a generic copy of the partitions blank or otherwise then use that to restore a device, have a script take the rom insert it write /boot /system etc for you and you're good to go.

However this shouldn't be used in place of a proper backup.

Last edited:

ApokrifX

May 23, 2011

That’s where you Touch-Formatter helps me.
It’ll restore generic copy, my tiny backup makes it “personal” than.
That’s how B&N does it on factory, right?

---------- Post added at 03:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 AM ----------

BTW: Where is factory partition?
Code:
#df
/dev: 116512K total, 0K used, 116512K available (block size 4096)
/sqlite_stmt_journals: 4096K total, 0K used, 4096K available (block size 4096)
/rom: 16116K total, 217K used, 15899K available (block size 512)
/system: 285583K total, 196911K used, 88672K available (block size 1024)
/data: 808292K total, 313252K used, 495040K available (block size 4096)
/cache: 237987K total, 8344K used, 229643K available (block size 1024)
/sdcard: 7774208K total, 113824K used, 7660384K available (block size 32768)
/media: 241947K total, 759K used, 241187K available (block size 512)

---------- Post added at 03:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 AM ----------

...in fact you could create a generic copy of the partitions blank or otherwise then use that to restore a device, have a script take the rom insert it write /boot /system etc for you and you're good to go.
Gabrial,
Do you think it’ll be possible to connect via adb and push back /rom partition content to restored generic image.
Providing we replaced uRamdisk and can use adb connect via USB.
Would it be sufficient?

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
That’s where you Touch-Formatter helps me.
It’ll restore generic copy, my tiny backup makes it “personal” than.
That’s how B&N does it on factory, right?

---------- Post added at 03:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 AM ----------

BTW: Where is factory partition?
Code:
#df
/dev: 116512K total, 0K used, 116512K available (block size 4096)
/sqlite_stmt_journals: 4096K total, 0K used, 4096K available (block size 4096)
/rom: 16116K total, 217K used, 15899K available (block size 512)
/system: 285583K total, 196911K used, 88672K available (block size 1024)
/data: 808292K total, 313252K used, 495040K available (block size 4096)
/cache: 237987K total, 8344K used, 229643K available (block size 1024)
/sdcard: 7774208K total, 113824K used, 7660384K available (block size 32768)
/media: 241947K total, 759K used, 241187K available (block size 512)

---------- Post added at 03:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 AM ----------

Gabrial,
Do you think it’ll be possible to connect via adb and push back /rom partition content to restored generic image.
Providing we replaced uRamdisk and can use adb connect via USB.
Would it be sufficient?

It only gets mounted when running restores, not while the system is in use. But yes assuming your generic image had adb access you could push it back to /rom the issue however is that Touch-Formatter while great for returning devices to stock wouldn't fix partition issues, so if you screw up your partitions you'll need more than just this to fix it.

eded333

Apr 25, 2011
I will work on (when I have some time) making a blank image with just a generic /boot, with all the partitions correctly done of the NST, but empty.
This image, compressed, shouldnt occupy more than a few megabytes, then make a zip which backups the sensitive data, /rom, /factory and create another zip, which should destroy all the data on the NST, burn this empty image, restore /rom and /factory, then trigger automatically reset/restore to end up with a 100% clean nook, even if you screw it hard.

Is this what you were asking for ApokrifX? Or did I get it wrong?

Last edited:

mali100

Jun 3, 2007
Is there really unique data on /factory ? I thougt there is only some duplicate data from the rom partition.

ApokrifX

May 23, 2011
I will work on (when I have some time) making a blank image with just a generic /boot, with all the partitions correctly done of the NST, but empty.
This image, compressed, shouldnt occupy more than a few megabytes, then make a zip which backups the sensitive data, /rom, /factory and create another zip, which should destroy all the data on the NST, burn this empty image, restore /rom and /factory, then trigger automatically reset/restore to end up with a 100% clean nook, even if you screw it hard.

Is this what you were asking for ApokrifX? Or did I get it wrong?
eded333,
That’s exactly what I meant! :)

---------- Post added at 04:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

Yep, factory contains a copy of the rom data which gets extracted to rom when you do a factory restore.
That’s all? :)
Anyway, where is it (factory partition)?
I.e. what is # in /dev/block/mmcblk0p#
“fdisk -l” shows nothing...

Top Liked Posts