[APP][4.0.1+ KitKat][SMS App Rues/Filters/Themes/Sched]SmartMessenger[open beta]

Whats the most important?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

deanwray

Apr 2, 2006
www.deanwray.co.uk
sm_logo.png

SmartMessenger

Aim : To be the most visually customisable, adaptive and secure SMS app there is. Oh and the best looking :)

Open Beta

There is now a play store listing for SmartMessenger without so anyone can try the beta and not have to join google+ Please note I still consider this a beta (but obviously open to anyone) so any suggestions or requests, comment in this thread. The G+ beta group (restricted) is still live and will get early versions.

The kind of input I'm after is from "you" the potential user:
  • Help me prioritise the development and order of features
  • Suggest corrections, amendments or additional features
  • Find and eliminate bugs

few random screenshots:

new_a.png

new_b.png

new_c.png

screen00.png
screen01.png
screen02.png
screen03.png

Features and Status

SMS messaging and emoticons

MSMS (Media\Link SMS)
This is also done and uses google drive to send full size images (as doc link) inside the sms. This to me is better than MMS that costs way too much here in the UK and has very silly limitations. Ability to send any type of file and maybe any size, connection allowing! The other individual if not using smart messenger will get a link, if they do use an app capable of resolving links, it will be presented in a icon form!

SmartMesseges SMS
This is a special type of message that will still be handled over sms, more info soon
More details shortly

Procedural UI generation
This is done and working, it's what the current themes use. Basically it builds android drawable resources at runtime. So no static xml or bitmaps. The advantage of this is not space, or speed for that matter. But it will allow me to implement a theme/visual creator that will allow users to create and mod any aspect of the visual UI
This also breaks from the norm. as I don't agree with lots of googles own guidelines, I want to be able to have 1 handed operation on my phone, thats why this app doesn't currently follow the actionbar pattern, well that an many other reasons :)
There is an online theme library currently of about 8 or 9, always up for suggestions :)

TO DO: Advanced in-app theme creator

Message Box Management
Can currently create message boxes and have them as targets/destinations for messages. Locking features are there, I'm just looking at the best ways to allow unlock/unhide while it's not apparent that anything is hidden :)
TO DO: Enable security and locking features, implement global unlocks

Filters and Rules
This allows creation of simple, but powerful rules to control anything from message box distribution, forwarding, autoreply, notification controls to even daisy chaining units together and having multiple units spider the messages. Also includes REGEX triggers too

Rules can be used to trigger custom reactions, notifications, LED colors, auto replies and forwarders etc

Schedules
As it stands you can schedule texts and have any time periods you want, and add ending conditions like amount or date/time
TO DO: Test and maybe add adaptive elements to it, such as a variable part that is populated based of some rule (like happy Xth brithday) and it fills in X :)

Notifications
The notifications are controllable per person via rules and filters, and can trigger and override all options with things like custom vibration patterns sounds popups etc

Secret Messagebox and Messages mode (Blind Security)
Want to hide something and not show that it's hidden ? Watch the security vid for an overview!

Must Watch

Last edited:

killerocker

Jan 31, 2011
Honestly it looks amazing and I'd love to test it out. The one feature that is basically a necessity for me is available in textra in that the app automatically turns on the mobile data temporarily to get an MMS. It was a huge pain for me since I tend to have mobile data turned off because I have a limited data plan. If that was in this I'd easily replace textra with this.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using xda premium

Mchasard

Dec 12, 2010
Impatient to try it ...MMS are also included or just SMS?
Thanks

Envoyé depuis mon IQ442 avec Tapatalk

deanwray

Apr 2, 2006
www.deanwray.co.uk
Impatient to try it ...MMS are also included or just SMS?
Thanks

Envoyé depuis mon IQ442 avec Tapatalk

NO MMS, not even sure I want them to be honest, slow, small and costly... better to use the GDrive link sms that are in SmartMessenger... but I'm more than open to consider it. This is still very early in development, so anything that is worth it, I will add for the masses :)

CoCoGirl886

Mar 26, 2011
I understand that it can intercept SMS messages and be used as the default texting app, but does it work the same way with Google voice texts?

deanwray

Apr 2, 2006
www.deanwray.co.uk
Honestly it looks amazing and I'd love to test it out. The one feature that is basically a necessity for me is available in textra in that the app automatically turns on the mobile data temporarily to get an MMS. It was a huge pain for me since I tend to have mobile data turned off because I have a limited data plan. If that was in this I'd easily replace textra with this.

IIRC I wanted something similar, and also to do BAND switching. Unfortunately, google took out the api's required to do that, so that it would be ALWAYS a user choice. So not sure if that will ever be possible again (post gingerbread) :(

Reactions: killerocker

deanwray

Apr 2, 2006
www.deanwray.co.uk

Actually thinking about it, DO NOT TRY SmartMessenger image sending, cause it will send (until I put some controls in) FULL SIZE images. So not nice when your phone takes 2-5mb image potentially and sends it for sharing to GDrive. I will add to the dev list, image size control :) See I never thought about limited data caps previously, what with my unlimited data plan :)

Last edited:

killerocker

Jan 31, 2011
Actually thinking about it, DO NOT TRY SmartMessenger image sending, cause it will send (until I put some controls in) FULL SIZE images. So not nice when your phone takes 2-5mb image potentially and sends it for sharing to GDrive. I will add to the dev list, image size control :) See I never thought about limited data caps previously, what with my unlimited data plan :)

I've never had a dev convince me not to try an app haha but I absolutely appreciate the honesty and good points you brought up. I'll keep an eye out for your future work and pass this one on to my friends.

deanwray

Apr 2, 2006
www.deanwray.co.uk
I've never had a dev convince me not to try an app haha but I absolutely appreciate the honesty and good points you brought up. I'll keep an eye out for your future work and pass this one on to my friends.

Well you have some valid points, I should never assume that data is all free and limitless :) But like I say, watch out for next few days, cause I will add some image limiting to the attachments, so maybe I will have size/dimension resampling, like resize to 8k or something :) Be nice for user to control the data flow, I can imagine you have to be VERY careful because of how apps abuse and use data these days :)

killerocker

Jan 31, 2011
Well you have some valid points, I should never assume that data is all free and limitless :) But like I say, watch out for next few days, cause I will add some image limiting to the attachments, so maybe I will have size/dimension resampling, like resize to 8k or something :) Be nice for user to control the data flow, I can imagine you have to be VERY careful because of how apps abuse and use data these days :)

Stateside, there's only 2 networks that still have unlimited data and both have horrendous service so I'm stuck in a 2 gb plan. I subscribed to the thread so I'll definitely keep an eye on it and see what develops. Overall, watching the data isn't too bad since I just keep mobile data off and turn it on as needed but I still need to keep an eye out. Oh well, ces la vie.

deanwray

Apr 2, 2006
www.deanwray.co.uk
ICS error

OK glad I released this, I did about the noobiest thing I could do, which will FC on any ICS phone, have fixed now, but play may take a while to dist. to the servers. Sorry for any probs :)

cynikalJ

May 24, 2010
Absolutely love this so far. One cosmetic thing is the spacing when you send a picture. The bubble is HUGE. needs to be slimmed down

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    sm_logo.png

SmartMessenger

Aim : To be the most visually customisable, adaptive and secure SMS app there is. Oh and the best looking :)

Open Beta

There is now a play store listing for SmartMessenger without so anyone can try the beta and not have to join google+ Please note I still consider this a beta (but obviously open to anyone) so any suggestions or requests, comment in this thread. The G+ beta group (restricted) is still live and will get early versions.

The kind of input I'm after is from "you" the potential user:
    • Help me prioritise the development and order of features
    • Suggest corrections, amendments or additional features
    • Find and eliminate bugs

few random screenshots:

new_a.png

new_b.png

new_c.png

screen00.png
    screen01.png
    screen02.png
    screen03.png

Features and Status

SMS messaging and emoticons

MSMS (Media\Link SMS)
    This is also done and uses google drive to send full size images (as doc link) inside the sms. This to me is better than MMS that costs way too much here in the UK and has very silly limitations. Ability to send any type of file and maybe any size, connection allowing! The other individual if not using smart messenger will get a link, if they do use an app capable of resolving links, it will be presented in a icon form!

SmartMesseges SMS
    This is a special type of message that will still be handled over sms, more info soon
    More details shortly

Procedural UI generation
    This is done and working, it's what the current themes use. Basically it builds android drawable resources at runtime. So no static xml or bitmaps. The advantage of this is not space, or speed for that matter. But it will allow me to implement a theme/visual creator that will allow users to create and mod any aspect of the visual UI
    This also breaks from the norm. as I don't agree with lots of googles own guidelines, I want to be able to have 1 handed operation on my phone, thats why this app doesn't currently follow the actionbar pattern, well that an many other reasons :)
    There is an online theme library currently of about 8 or 9, always up for suggestions :)

TO DO: Advanced in-app theme creator

Message Box Management
    Can currently create message boxes and have them as targets/destinations for messages. Locking features are there, I'm just looking at the best ways to allow unlock/unhide while it's not apparent that anything is hidden :)
    TO DO: Enable security and locking features, implement global unlocks

Filters and Rules
    This allows creation of simple, but powerful rules to control anything from message box distribution, forwarding, autoreply, notification controls to even daisy chaining units together and having multiple units spider the messages. Also includes REGEX triggers too

Rules can be used to trigger custom reactions, notifications, LED colors, auto replies and forwarders etc

Schedules
    As it stands you can schedule texts and have any time periods you want, and add ending conditions like amount or date/time
    TO DO: Test and maybe add adaptive elements to it, such as a variable part that is populated based of some rule (like happy Xth brithday) and it fills in X :)

Notifications
    The notifications are controllable per person via rules and filters, and can trigger and override all options with things like custom vibration patterns sounds popups etc

Secret Messagebox and Messages mode (Blind Security)
    Want to hide something and not show that it's hidden ? Watch the security vid for an overview!

Must Watch

Development

PlayStore Download

Bug Tracking/Feature Requests

Google+ Group

Google+ Beta Group

Sh!t, only l2/3 of core features? So far the app is handling everything great~! lol feel kinda like a bad beta tester for the last week cos I've got no issues to report back

well there is left from core : MMS, encryption, Secure messageboxes, lite-theme overrides, led controls (for rules), popup size control, play/preview for vibrate patterns, a massive bunch of fixes... then it will be released, and I will add to the release version in stages with the proper good/new/different features.. like smart messages, full theme editor etc

so yeah, lots to do still :(

I stated to think that this project is a little too big for me and my 1st app :) But...oh well
    New Version 0.02.024b

Many fixes after changing lots of how SM works... Should allow for more reliability and flexibility in the future.

Note there is a delivery report option now, disabled by default