Full desktop?

Search This thread

abumy

Mar 18, 2014
Just wondering, is the current Ubuntu Touch supporting a full desktop when connected to a monitor like through an HDMI?

I saw videos from Ubuntu on this feature and wanted to know if it working?

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

nikwen

Feb 1, 2013
Berlin, Germany
www.nikwen.de
It's not working yet. Canonical has proven that the concept can work by its Ubuntu for Android project. After the release of version 14.04 two weeks ago, they will start work on bringing Unity 8 (the desktop environment, current desktop version is 7 while the phone version is already Unity 8) and the Mir display server to the desktop. Afterwards, it should theoretically be possible to do that stuff. Additionally, they will continue to improve their SDK for the development of Ubuntu apps which already work on all platforms (phone, tablet and desktop) and adjust to screen size.
The whole concept is what they call Convergence.

Reactions: abumy

abumy

Mar 18, 2014
It's not working yet. Canonical has proven that the concept can work by its Ubuntu for Android project. After the release of version 14.04 two weeks ago, they will start work on bringing Unity 8 (the desktop environment, current desktop version is 7 while the phone version is already Unity 8) and the Mir display server to the desktop. Afterwards, it should theoretically be possible to do that stuff. Additionally, they will continue to improve their SDK for the development of Ubuntu apps which already work on all platforms (phone, tablet and desktop) and adjust to screen size.

Some of their ideas for convergence are quite awesome. The recent news has been that they have stopped the Ubuntu for Android project. I have been wondering since where their views on complete integration, their "one device to rule the all" direction, is heading.

nikwen

Feb 1, 2013
Berlin, Germany
www.nikwen.de
Some of their ideas for convergence are quite awesome. The recent news has been that they have stopped the Ubuntu for Android project. I have been wondering since where their views on complete integration, their "one device to rule the all" direction, is heading.

Yep, I totally agree, full convergence will be awesome. I'm eagerly waiting for it. :)

Reactions: abumy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yep, I totally agree, full convergence will be awesome. I'm eagerly waiting for it. :)