Unlocked AT&T S5

Search This thread

zacharyt86

Nope, paying full price for an "Unlocked AT&T" model, means it's carrier unlocked, bootloader is still locked down on all AT&T branded S5's. If your paying full price and want root, you should just buy an unlocked T-Mobile version from somewhere like swappa.com, supports AT&T frequencies and the bootloader comes unlocked.

dibeachdude

Jan 30, 2009
Dauphin Island, AL
It would be nice if XDA had a "Glossary of Terms" in the wiki that explained terms that are used often like"bootloader unlocked" and "carrier unlocked". Maybe, it wouldn't make much difference, but the some words and terms are often confused and are explained again. It might be easier to just link to the glossary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

zoso28

Feb 17, 2008
East Coast
Keep in mind the phones aren't usually unlocked (carrier unlocked) at the point of sale and you'll have to submit an unlock request once you've bought it.. As a side note, I highly recommend buying the T-Mobile version, as it's compatible with at&t and DOES have the bootloader unlocked by default. There's really no reason to buy the at&t version if you're buying at full price.

eortizr

Jul 6, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Hey everyone, I am about to pay full retail price for the S5 through AT&T which means it will be unlocked.

Question is...any root method or exploits that work for the international version also apply to the AT&T model?

If you are going to pay full price, just go to T-Mobile store and by the T-Mo version which comes with an unlocked bootloader and supports all AT&T frequencies, then just replace your back cover for an unbranded or at&T branded one.

the AT&T one will not get Root anytime soon.