[APP] WifiNotify

Search This thread

5ntrol

Sep 26, 2007
Hello!

I have programmed an app for my own usage that I want to share.
It's simply a sticky notification showing wifi state (including SSID and other information if connected) and also if clicked, it changes wifi state.

Hope you find it useful!

You can install it from the Amazon Appstore or downloading the attached apk.

Changelog:
Version 2: Now shows an icon in status bar when wifi is on (connected or not)
Some more info.
Version 3: Auto update (on/off and time interval configurable), icon when wifi on configurable, text color and info in notification configurable, bugfixes.

Attachments

• WifiNotify.apk.zip
    41.9 KB · Views: 741
Last edited:
Reactions: krauli

c1phr

Nov 22, 2010
I like it, it does exactly what it says it does. The only thing I could have wished that it did was have some type of way to enter the wifi settings menu when clicked instead of disabling wifi. I haven't found a good shortcut for this yet, as I use two different APs in my house (depending on which area of the house) and Android always connects to the last used one rather then the strongest connection, so I always have to go through and change it manually.

Otherwise, anyone looking for a quick way to check your AP and enable/disable wifi without an extra widget, this is definitely a cool, simple and lightweight app to do so.

5ntrol

Sep 26, 2007
It's good to know you find it useful.

About accessing wifi settings quickly, you can create a direct shortcut if you use ADW launcher or LaucherPro (I don't know if other launchers have this feature); you have to create a shortcut and then select Activities. In the list that will show up, you can select the settings app and inside it, wifi settings.

Lord fiSh

Aug 10, 2009
Leipzig
Icon in Systray would be nice, so u can see that WiFi is active (but not connectecd to a network)

Attachments

• snap20101207_094059.jpg
    snap20101207_094059.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 875
  • chart.png
    chart.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:

ozgreg

Apr 25, 2010
Hello!

It's simply a sticky notification showing wifi state (including SSID if connected) and also if clicked, it changes wifi state.
It does not show any icon in the notification bar.

Hope you find it useful!

Yes I did, however a few things..

I feel the notification bar should also display Connection Speed, Signal Strength in DB with the option to go to connection settings..

Thanks..

Reactions: krauli

5ntrol

Sep 26, 2007
Thanks for the feedback.

I agree, that info may be useful.
I'll try to show it in the notification.

herby68

Jan 3, 2005
Cologne
how can I uninstall it from my HTC Desire HD. I use exented controls and have now conflicts when I tab airplane mode with exented controls and then return to normal mode , I have no more network connection

Last edited:

5ntrol

Sep 26, 2007
You can uninstall it like any other application. It should appear in the list of installed programs.
Anyway I don't understand your problem. Do you receive any errors? This application has nothing to do with your network connection... it only shows wifi state and changes its state but doesn't touch anything else.

5ntrol

Sep 26, 2007
Sorry for the lack of news.

I have modified it a little bit.
Now it shows an icon when wifi is on (connected or not) and shows more info.
To show info like network speed I need to make it update every X seconds.
I don't like this very much because that way it lost the simplicity.

Anyway I'm trying to make it configurable so you can set it the way you like (Just starting with Android programming :D)

This is the actual version (no config nor auto update): http://db.tt/dX8m7ao

etatto83

Oct 28, 2010
Seillons-Source-d'Argens
Like the new configuration options and the infos (IP and bitrate), too bad the notification icon stays always in the status bar when co
nected to an AP; I think the previous behaviour was better, but it's my opinion.
Hope to see other improvement.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

DesireFreak

Jul 26, 2010
Cologne
I get force close, when I try to start the app, by enabling wifi.

I used to use it on my desire with froyo, and it worked well (used the first release).
Now I installed gingerbread from leedroid, and installed the new version and I get force close. Reinstalled and still force close.

Any suggestions?

btw: really nice app!

5ntrol

Sep 26, 2007

I used to use it on my desire with froyo, and it worked well (used the first release).
Now I installed gingerbread from leedroid, and installed the new version and I get force close. Reinstalled and still force close.

Any suggestions?

First post edited with new version. Should fix the gingerbread problems :)

Download: http://db.tt/dX8m7ao

Reactions: DesireFreak

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello!

It's simply a sticky notification showing wifi state (including SSID and other information if connected) and also if clicked, it changes wifi state.

Hope you find it useful!

You can install it from the Amazon Appstore or downloading the attached apk.

Changelog:
    Version 2: Now shows an icon in status bar when wifi is on (connected or not)
    Some more info.
    Version 3: Auto update (on/off and time interval configurable), icon when wifi on configurable, text color and info in notification configurable, bugfixes.
    Hello!

It's simply a sticky notification showing wifi state (including SSID if connected) and also if clicked, it changes wifi state.
    It does not show any icon in the notification bar.

Hope you find it useful!

Yes I did, however a few things..

I feel the notification bar should also display Connection Speed, Signal Strength in DB with the option to go to connection settings..

Thanks..
    I haven't tested it in gingerbread.
    I'll try to test it and fix the problem.
    Thanks!

Any suggestions?

First post edited with new version. Should fix the gingerbread problems :)

Download: http://db.tt/dX8m7ao