[APP] Moto Phone Portal for Hero (v2)

Search This thread

pookie1

Aug 10, 2009
Ktown
jcCn3.jpg

Recently some of the system dumps from the upcoming Motorola Sholes/Tao/Droid hit the Developer community, and they have been trying to piece the puzzle together of what the Motorola Sholes/Tao/Droid is all about. We got our hands on a new app which looks like it will be front and center when the device finally hits the shelves, Motorola Phone Portal.

Those that remember using the Motorola Phone Tools app to hack their Motorola’s back in the day (I’m getting all “Ahmad – Back in the Day” about my v600, v810, and RAZR) will instantly recognize this little gem, but it’s been updated for Android and provides some pretty cool functionality. Basically, Motorola Phone Tools (MPP) serves as an all-in-one phone manager that allows users to easily view, edit, create, delete, and play their contacts, ringtones, photos, wallpaper, and media. The key difference now is, the app is web-based and you log into your phone from directly from your browser! No installing “modems” and drivers on your Windows machine (painful), just fire up the app and press the “Connect with Wi-Fi button. When you press the button, the app prompts you to either turn on Wi-Fi, or connect over USB. For this experiment, I chose Wi-Fi.

MPP lets you add/edit/delete/browse your contacts, photos, bookmarks, browser history, and media in an easy-to-use interface. Playing media directly from the device in the browser worked very well, and the picture viewer/slideshow feature is pretty damn cool. So with MPP you’ll be able to play/show-off your media anywhere from any browser. If Moto adds a Social/Sharing aspect to this, they will have a winner on their hands.

So there you have it kids, a little taste of what’s to come with the Sholes/Tao/Droid. The original Moto Phone Tools was a pretty handy app (when it worked), and the new MPP looks to be just as functional, if not more so. I am sure it will help a lot of users manage their contacts/media/content when it gets released, and the ability to do slideshows and play media from your device directly from your browser is pretty slick. I hope Moto adds more features and functionality to it as time goes on, but this seems like a sign of good things to come. Grab the .apk file below and play away!

This is a cool little phone manager app that works really well with Hero and G1. It's an app that runs a webserver from your phone that you can access over Wifi from any browser on the same network.

It allows you to:
* view/add media on your phone
* view your call log
* read and send sms from the browser
* and more!

Works with any OS - anything with a browser should work. Only works over wifi with Hero, no USB connection is possible it seems.

I replaced as much Motorola branding as I could and replaced it with HTC stuff to make it a nicer experience for HTC fanboys :p

Download HTCportalv2:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/vpbxzo

Changelog
v2 - Changed more Moto references to HTC

Last edited:

Branwen

May 11, 2009
London
Now if only this would let me control music playback.
Still, looks super, and nice to be able to manage over wi-fi instead of usb :)

pookie1

Aug 10, 2009
Ktown
You mean playback music on your pc from your phone? Hmm, I think it does allow that!

But I'm at work at the moment without wi-fi so can't confirm..

Branwen

May 11, 2009
London
I think it lets you pull files, so you could listen on your pc, but I want to control my phone from my pc.

Basically, my stereo is the other side of my room from my desktop, and I'm lazy so if I could just play music from my pc, through the phone, into my amp, then I wouldn't have to get up :)

Also, I wonder if this means we can send files over wi-fi to web-enabled phones?

pookie1

Aug 10, 2009
Ktown
Have you tried it out yet? I can't give it another go until I'm home, but I thought that was possible. Look at the quote:

So with MPP you’ll be able to play/show-off your media anywhere from any browser.

You can certainly run a slideshow on your pc, from the photos on your phone. Pretty sure music is playable too. Give it a go :)

As for sending files, yes you can, but I think you might be restricted to media files.

pookie1

Aug 10, 2009
Ktown
Not sure if that's possible, I was trying too. If you turn off wifi and try to connect it says it can connect over usb too, but I couldn't get it to connect. That might only work on a Motorola phone. Everything works over wifi though ;)

pookie1

Aug 10, 2009
Ktown
Cool, glad you like it!

I checked out the music thing, it lets you browse the music you have on your SD card, and you can click to play, but it plays the music on your phone instead of on the computer. That's what you wanted right Branwen?

Here's another screenshot:

MPn6W.png

pookie1

Aug 10, 2009
Ktown
I really can't think what could be causing it apart from some kind of issue with your network/ports/firewalls

JBNAquatics

Aug 22, 2009
Anaheim
For mine, at the initial setup it would not work at all when I clicked the start for wifi connection. It was only after I unplug my usb cable did it work...or I might had a huge lag.

bunt83

Sep 10, 2009
London
same network, can see phone and pc in the ip list in my router.
Tryed to disable my firewall and got the same thing.
Runing modaco 2.5.1 core

I'm using 2.5.1 too and it works fine...

Are you sure you're wifi is enabled?

Have you tried pinging the IP address from your PC's command prompt?

If you can't even ping it you'll know it's a firewall/port issue...

kendong2

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 29, 2009
same network, can see phone and pc in the ip list in my router.
Tryed to disable my firewall and got the same thing.
Runing modaco 2.5.1 core

im having the same issues in general with my hero: my laptop and the hero are connected to the same wifi network, both work fine, but they don't see each other. no ping, no ssh, no http no nothing. from my cable connected (to the wifi router) pc, everything works just splendid. i actually blame either my router (fritzbox, but some lowend version) or my laptop/ubuntu on my laptop for this behaviour, but i actually never investigated in that. whenever i want to connect from my laptop to my phone i hop via my pc, works fine.