[PORT][WIP] Ubuntu Touch v0.1 Alpha - ONLY i9100 !!!

Search This thread

djmitza222

Feb 16, 2008
Baia Mare
UBUNTU TOUCH v0.1 FOR i9100 ALPHA
KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS IS VERY VERY UNSTABLE AND MAY BRICK YOUR PHONE IF YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING WRONG!

This one has been build by @ bluefa1con so all the champagne & beer bottles goes to him. Is the same build as mines! I decided to release my version when I have most of the bugs fixed. HERE IS STILL PRESENT THE CHOPPY TEXT BUG! We think is caused by hardware-composition, we don't know right now.

Let's get started. First of all, WIPE YOUR DEVICE & FORMAT /SYSTEM, /CACHE, /PRELOAD! Then:

1. Download this build of Ubuntu Touch: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-to...c-demo/quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip
2. The both files from here: http://goo.im/devs/bluefa1con/ubuntutouch
3. Copy them to your internal / external memory. Note that dual-boot is not yet supported!
4. Wipe everything you can.
5. Install CM10.1 zip - DON'T REBOOT!
6. Flash quantal(...).zip file - AGAIN, DON'T REBOOT!
7. Finally, flash hdpi_overlay.zip and then you can reboot safely.
8. Enjoy!

Report any bugs here!

So far it looks stable over the UI. Perfomances are not so great because both of us we can't manage to get working all the 2-cores. HW acceleration is disabled because is very buggy also the audio. Wifi works, cellular + 3G also. It is not very useful right now but as far as this will get more and more updates, it will be very cool ;).

Note: DO NOT FLASH IT INTO OTHER VARIANTS OF i9100!

Thanks, I'll keep you updated.

Last edited:

-iNCEPTiON-

Apr 29, 2011
Islamabad
KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS IS VERY VERY UNSTABLE AND MAY BRICK YOUR PHONE IF YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING WRONG!

Dear fellas,

Right now I'm doing a very beta test of my own build for Ubuntu Touch. So far it looks stable over the UI. Perfomances are not so great because I can't manage to get working all the 2-cores. HW acceleration is disabled because is very buggy also the audio. Wifi works, cellular + 3G also. It is not very useful right now but as far as this will get more and more updates, it will be very cool ;).

As soon as I finish with the final testing, I will upload the 3 ZIP files. Until that, prepare your phone and make a full BACKUP!

Note: I suggest to try it in dual-boot as I do and DO NOT FLASH IT INTO OTHER VARIANTS OF i9100!

waiting for it ;) will give it a try :)

Reactions: dukedusty

Daywalkr1990

Dec 11, 2010
Oberhausen
AW: [PORT][WIP] Ubuntu Touch v0.1 Alpha - ONLY i9100 !!!

I thought dual boot is not possible
Or is is with android and Ubuntu?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

Reactions: WasseemB

randomhkkid

Jul 4, 2011
Just a general question will ubuntu for phone switch to the desktop mode automatically as soon as it is docked to a monitor or does this have to be enabled on a phone by phone basis?

djmitza222

Feb 16, 2008
Baia Mare
FYI guys, I have tested it only as a second rom (like boot2gecko). I test it right now as a primary rom and I have problems with the text as well. I don't really know what is happening but the screen looks like there are some ''dead'' pixels. You cannot read the entire text. I tried different kernel entries but no success, also wiped cache / dalvik cache. Let me see how fast can I fix it.

PS: try bluefa1con's build. Mine is not so far from it.

@bluefa1con, let me know if I can post your build on the first post w/ full credits to you. It take some time to make another build right now but I'm uploading the current images on zippyshare.

EDIT: audio fixed but choppy sound!

Last edited:

bluefa1con

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 9, 2011
FYI guys, I have tested it only as a second rom (like boot2gecko). I test it right now as a primary rom and I have problems with the text as well. I don't really know what is happening but the screen looks like there are some ''dead'' pixels. You cannot read the entire text. I tried different kernel entries but no success, also wiped cache / dalvik cache. Let me see how fast can I fix it.

PS: try bluefa1con's build. Mine is not so far from it.

@bluefa1con, let me know if I can post your build on the first post w/ full credits to you. It take some time to make another build right now but I'm uploading the current images on zippyshare.

EDIT: audio fixed but choppy sound!

Sure link my builds
I don't mind just did it for fun
Graphic corruption is the radical I didn't release my builds I had it done since morning
Graphic corruption is due to our broken hwc I think plus ubuntu doesn't fully support our ril

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This one has been build by @ bluefa1con so all the champagne & beer bottles goes to him. Is the same build as mines! I decided to release my version when I have most of the bugs fixed. HERE IS STILL PRESENT THE CHOPPY TEXT BUG! We think is caused by hardware-composition, we don't know right now.

Let's get started. First of all, WIPE YOUR DEVICE & FORMAT /SYSTEM, /CACHE, /PRELOAD! Then:

1. Download this build of Ubuntu Touch: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-to...c-demo/quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip
    2. The both files from here: http://goo.im/devs/bluefa1con/ubuntutouch
    3. Copy them to your internal / external memory. Note that dual-boot is not yet supported!
    4. Wipe everything you can.
    5. Install CM10.1 zip - DON'T REBOOT!
    6. Flash quantal(...).zip file - AGAIN, DON'T REBOOT!
    7. Finally, flash hdpi_overlay.zip and then you can reboot safely.
    8. Enjoy!

Report any bugs here!

So far it looks stable over the UI. Perfomances are not so great because both of us we can't manage to get working all the 2-cores. HW acceleration is disabled because is very buggy also the audio. Wifi works, cellular + 3G also. It is not very useful right now but as far as this will get more and more updates, it will be very cool ;).

Note: DO NOT FLASH IT INTO OTHER VARIANTS OF i9100!

Great that it worked for you!
    I based my changes on the ones Gerrett84 committed to his github, which mostly involved reverting the latest mali update.

In the case of android_device_samsung_galaxys2-common, there's the brightness and nosuid changes described in the porting guide.
    The next thing to do is revert the commit 'galaxys2: remove legacy egl hack', simply done by:
    $ git revert 8007493
    (while standing in the device/samsung/galaxys2-common/ directory).

For android_kernel_samsung_smdk4210, change the kernel configs as the porting guide describes. Then you need to revert the mali commit:
    $ git revert eecea2b

There's nothing new to android_device_sansung_i9100, but you might want to delete line 33 "libandroid_runtime \" from hardware/samsung/ exynos/multimedia/openmax/osal/Android.mk.

Then we need the old proprietary files for i9100 (with old mali drivers). I couldn't find any, so I downloaded Gerrett84's ubuntu_vendor_n7000_oldmali to vendor/samsung/ and changed all the "n7000" to "i9100". That's it.

I've still got no clue regarding the wifi. I've tried alot of different fixes that apparently worked for other devices, but to no avail.
    Hello again!
    I've pushed my changes to https://github.com/Ubuntu-i9100, and to use these you need to add the following to your .repo/manifest.xml:

Code:
    <manifest>

<project path="device/samsung/i9100" name="Ubuntu-i9100/android_device_samsung_i9100" remote="github" revision="refs/heads/cm-10.1" />
      <project path="device/samsung/galaxys2-common" name="Ubuntu-i9100/android_device_samsung_galaxys2-common" remote="github" revision="refs/heads/cm-10.1" />
      <project path="kernel/samsung/smdk4210" name="Ubuntu-i9100/android_kernel_samsung_smdk4210" remote="github" revision="refs/heads/cm-10.1" />
      <project path="hardware/samsung" name="Ubuntu-i9100/android_hardware_samsung" remote="github" revision="refs/heads/cm-10.1" />
      <project path="vendor/samsung" name="Ubuntu-i9100/android_vendor_i9100_oldmali" remote="github" revision="refs/heads/cm-10.1" />
    </manifest>

There should be no need to extract proprietary files from your device, as these are included in a repo.
    If you notice any errors, please don't hesitate to point them out. Don't hesitate to contribute either. We need all the help we can get in to improve this awesome operating system for our device!
    Hello everyone!
    I managed to get the fonts in my build to render normally.
    Here's a link (my first post, so I can't post proper links yet):
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/44436922/cm-10.1-20130307-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip

I tested the new hdpi-file by Bubble-be (i9100hdpi_20130307.zip) and I would recommend using the original one instead, as layouts will overlap and some text receives some weird shadowing.
    Firstly INAD : I'm not a developer, just a guy with a Ubuntu Server VM and some spare time. :cowboy:

This is my first foray into GitHub, so any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, I googled but couldn't push the changes to the site. I ended up editing on the site itself... :rolleyes:

I forked the repos from Cyanogen and the proprietary vendor from TheMuppets so you don't have to connect the phone.

You can sync it this way:

Code:
    mkdir .repo/local_manifests
    nano .repo/local_manifests/Bubble-be.xml
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <manifest>

<remote  name="github"
               fetch="git://github.com" />

<project path="device/samsung/i9100" name="Bubble-be/android_device_samsung_i9100" remote="github" revision="refs/heads/cm-10.1" />
      <project path="kernel/samsung/smdk4210" name="Bubble-be/android_kernel_samsung_smdk4210" remote="github" revision="refs/heads/cm-10.1" />
      <project path="hardware/samsung" name="Bubble-be/android_hardware_samsung" remote="github" revision="refs/heads/cm-10.1" />
      <project path="device/samsung/galaxys2-common" name="Bubble-be/android_device_samsung_galaxys2-common" remote="github" revision="refs/heads/cm-10.1" />
      <project path="vendor/samsung" name="Bubble-be/proprietary_vendor_samsung" remote="github" revision="refs/heads/cm-10.1" />
    </manifest>

repo sync

You can of course browse it : https://github.com/Bubble-be

These are my changes :

Code:
    project device/samsung/galaxys2-common/
    diff --git a/rootdir/fstab.smdk4210 b/rootdir/fstab.smdk4210
    index c5b2115..4bbe747 100755
    --- a/rootdir/fstab.smdk4210
    +++ b/rootdir/fstab.smdk4210
    @@ -8,4 +8,6 @@
     /dev/block/mmcblk0p7    /cache              ext4      noatime,nosuid,nodev,journal_async_commit,errors=panic    wait,check_spo
     /dev/block/mmcblk0p1    /efs                ext4      noatime,nosuid,nodev,journal_async_commit,errors=panic    wait,check_spo
     /dev/block/mmcblk0p12	/preload 		    ext4 	  ro,nosuid,nodev,noatime   wait
    -/dev/block/mmcblk0p10   /data               ext4      noatime,nosuid,nodev,discard,noauto_da_alloc,journal_async_commit,errors=panic    wait,check_spo,encryptable=/efs/metadata
    +#/dev/block/mmcblk0p10   /data               ext4      noatime,nosuid,nodev,discard,noauto_da_alloc,journal_async_commit,errors=panic    wait,check_spo,encryptable=/efs/metadata
    +/dev/block/mmcblk0p10   /data               ext4      noatime,nodev,discard,noauto_da_alloc,journal_async_commit,errors=panic    wait,check_spo,encryptable=/efs/metadata
    +
    diff --git a/rootdir/init.smdk4210.rc b/rootdir/init.smdk4210.rc
    index eebfdef..5501609 100644
    --- a/rootdir/init.smdk4210.rc
    +++ b/rootdir/init.smdk4210.rc
    @@ -396,3 +396,6 @@ service bugreport /system/bin/bugmailer.sh -v
         disabled
         oneshot
         keycodes 114 115 116
    +
    +# Ubuntu Touch brightness permissions
    +	chmod 0666 /sys/class/backlight/panel/brightness

project device/samsung/i9100/
    diff --git a/cm.dependencies b/cm.dependencies
    index a8be07c..985df85 100644
    --- a/cm.dependencies
    +++ b/cm.dependencies
    @@ -10,9 +10,9 @@
         {
             "repository": "android_hardware_samsung",
             "target_path": "hardware/samsung"
    -    },
    -    {
    -        "repository": "android_packages_apps_SamsungServiceMode",
    -        "target_path": "packages/apps/SamsungServiceMode"
    +#    },
    +#    {
    +#        "repository": "android_packages_apps_SamsungServiceMode",
    +#        "target_path": "packages/apps/SamsungServiceMode"
         }
     ]
    diff --git a/i9100.mk b/i9100.mk
    index fc1a3a6..f75ea28 100644
    --- a/i9100.mk
    +++ b/i9100.mk
    @@ -32,7 +32,7 @@ PRODUCT_PROPERTY_OVERRIDES += \

# Packages
     PRODUCT_PACKAGES += \
    -    GalaxyS2Settings
    +#    GalaxyS2Settings

# Sensors
     PRODUCT_PACKAGES += \

project hardware/samsung/
    diff --git a/exynos/multimedia/openmax/osal/Android.mk b/exynos/multimedia/openmax/osal/Android.mk
    index b7caa51..1fde52f 100644
    --- a/exynos/multimedia/openmax/osal/Android.mk
    +++ b/exynos/multimedia/openmax/osal/Android.mk
    @@ -30,7 +30,7 @@ LOCAL_STATIC_LIBRARIES :=
     LOCAL_SHARED_LIBRARIES := libcutils libutils \
     	libui \
     	libhardware \
    -	libandroid_runtime \
    +#	libandroid_runtime \
     	libbinder \
     	libmedia

project kernel/samsung/smdk4210/
    diff --git a/arch/arm/configs/cyanogenmod_i9100_defconfig b/arch/arm/configs/cyanogenmod_i9100_defconfig
    index 2e511bd..2719f00 100644
    --- a/arch/arm/configs/cyanogenmod_i9100_defconfig
    +++ b/arch/arm/configs/cyanogenmod_i9100_defconfig
    @@ -841,7 +841,7 @@ CONFIG_IPV6_TUNNEL=y
     CONFIG_IPV6_MULTIPLE_TABLES=y
     # CONFIG_IPV6_SUBTREES is not set
     # CONFIG_IPV6_MROUTE is not set
    -CONFIG_ANDROID_PARANOID_NETWORK=y
    +#CONFIG_ANDROID_PARANOID_NETWORK=y
     CONFIG_NET_ACTIVITY_STATS=y
     # CONFIG_NETWORK_SECMARK is not set
     # CONFIG_NETWORK_PHY_TIMESTAMPING is not set
    @@ -3146,3 +3146,23 @@ CONFIG_HAS_DMA=y
     CONFIG_CPU_RMAP=y
     CONFIG_NLATTR=y
     # CONFIG_AVERAGE is not set
    +#
    +# Ubuntu Touch
    +#
    +CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
    +CONFIG_NAMESPACES=y
    +CONFIG_UTS_NS=y
    +CONFIG_IPC_NS=y
    +CONFIG_USER_NS=y
    +CONFIG_PID_NS=y
    +CONFIG_NET_NS=y
    +CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
    +CONFIG_DEVPTS_MULTIPLE_INSTANCES=y
    +CONFIG_FSNOTIFY=y
    +CONFIG_DNOTIFY=y
    +CONFIG_INOTIFY_USER=y
    +CONFIG_FANOTIFY=y
    +CONFIG_FANOTIFY_ACCESS_PERMISSIONS=y
    +CONFIG_FSNOTIFY=y
    +CONFIG_SWAP=y
    +

It compiles without error. If you should encounter errors in some folder, remove the folder and let it sync again. I think git/repo sometimes messes up.

In the end you should get something like

cm-10.1-20130301-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip (46.1 MB)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/m3a8gacay9mht34/cm-10.1-20130301-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip?m

Follow it up with the latest daily phablet image
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-to...urrent/quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip

And the hdpi fix
    hdpi_overlay.zip (154 KB)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqz66nsk2e1a0vn/hdpi_overlay.zip?m

Next try is reverse tethering :fingers-crossed: